PDA

View Full Version : Wii production exceeding expectations

wraggster
October 5th, 2006, 17:05
Briefing.com reports (subscription only) that, according to UBS, 2 million Wii consoles were completed in Q3 (July-September) to support Nintendo's upcoming Q406 global console launch, beginning November 19th in North America. In addition, "at least 7 mln and potentially as high as 9 mln more units are in the build plan for 4Q06." The report continues, "this production ramp handily exeeds [sic] a publicly announced tgt for 6 mln units to ship by yearend"; however, Nintendo had previously announced plans to ship 6 million units by the end of their fiscal year (ending March 31, 2007) and only 4 million by the end of the calendar year. The language appears to indicate the possibility of building, if not shipping, as many as 11 million Wii consoles by the end of the calendar year!

With production exceeding expectations, why release the console so much later than many anticipated, and right on top of the PlayStation 3's November 17th launch? It all comes down to software. While Nintendo may have warehouses full of Wiis, they need a launch lineup and reliable system software to go along with all that stockpiled hardware. But Zelda has to be done ... we would have been happy with just that, promise.

Dee-Lite
October 6th, 2006, 12:00
Great news man, this could turn out sales the way DS Lite has. Im getting two on day 1, one for me and one for my bro haha! Im tempted to get another for my car- but i would need at least a 21" flat screen! I may be the first to have a Wii in my car!

BlueCrab
October 6th, 2006, 13:41
This is very good news. I might actually be able to snag a Wii on release day if this keeps up. :)

Darksaviour69
October 6th, 2006, 13:43
no preorder blue?

dejkirkby
October 6th, 2006, 13:46
no preorder blue?
I'm not preordering either. I'm 99% positive I'll pick one up on release day without preorder.

BlueCrab
October 6th, 2006, 14:47
no preorder blue?I haven't found any stores around here taking preorders yet....

Kramer
October 6th, 2006, 14:52
I preoedered mine because there is supposedly a shortage in Australia.

Darksaviour69
October 6th, 2006, 14:56
i preordered online at play.com

Adrenalin
October 7th, 2006, 01:23
i'm definitely not doing preorder, and although i really want on on release day, it all depends on my cash flow and whether i wanna wait for a different colour (that would be nice)

Video_freak
October 7th, 2006, 01:24
You can pre-order on Amazon.com, check my sig. :)

Adrenalin
October 7th, 2006, 01:25
i definitely won't preorder one, and although i would like one on launch day, it depends on whether i have enough cash and/or whether i wanna wait for a differnt colour (likely)

NoQuarter
October 7th, 2006, 01:29
Man, Reggie was right.Nintendo is poised to kick some serious butt!!!!
I think I'll go ahead and preorder.