PDA

View Full Version : anyone know how to fix disk read errors on ps2's?

iplayrpgs
December 23rd, 2004, 00:59
does anyone know how i can fix my disk read error on my ps2. if you do i would really appreciate it if you gave me some info, thanks. ;D

milfzor
December 23rd, 2004, 01:12
disc read errors....well...that would make your disc either scratched...or...well your laser's shot.....if its the laser, your probably best off to just get a new ps2 cuz thats not too easy to fix unless you got a fair amount of skill......

EDIT: also if you are willing to take a stab at laser replacement....i think lik-sang carries replacements........

iplayrpgs
December 23rd, 2004, 12:35
nah dude i don't think its the laser cause i got a new laser and i put it in myself and it still didn't work, thats why i think there's a problem with my ps2 and i don't think it has to do with the laser

milfzor
December 24th, 2004, 02:22
sounds like it may be a toasted resistor then..........too much of a pain to fix, imo, personally i'd just go out and buy another system....

iplayrpgs
December 24th, 2004, 14:33
yea im probably gonna buy a new ps2 even though ive had about 2 already, o well . thanks anyways

spratster
January 2nd, 2005, 15:19
b4 u buy a new ps2 double check the laser install coz it might be loose wireing had the same prob myself replaced laser only to get the same dre double checked and found loose connection :o

if not then res def gon

iplayrpgs
January 9th, 2005, 17:50
cool dude i'll check out the wiring thanks

guymelef
January 10th, 2005, 00:47
damn sony, I really wish they would have learned from sega about rushing systems ie genesis.

cal28
January 11th, 2005, 13:21
Eh? Get a new system? Do you all work for Argos or Dixons here? Phone Sony UK up [ number is on the back of game cartridges usually] or yule probably find it on the net; and tell them your system has gone kaput. They'll send you a new one if you pay for the post. Thats what I did anyhows when my 2 stopped reading discs. Seems these clever Sony people make more money from you from buying games than the actual system. They don't want you turning to the dark side by buying an eggbox. ;D

wraggster
January 11th, 2005, 13:38
lets hope he gets sorted.

xplicatt
January 18th, 2005, 12:41
dude a disk read error prob is so easy to fix but it takes time and patience i have fixed 3 ps2 so far with this prob including my own. it has nothing to do with faulty wiring or the ps2's programing.all you have to do is calabrate your laser which take alot of time because each time you calabrate you must check if you can boot. ps1 ,ps2 cds,ps2 dvd, and ps2 purple bottom cds once your ps2 can read all 4 formats your laser is proparly calibrated. but be warned doing this voidds your warrenty so i take no responsiblity if anything goes wrong i can only guide you though it.

PSPfan15
January 18th, 2005, 13:15
If you still have your broken PS2 and you still want to try and fix it then take a look at this site. If after you try it out then you might be able to trade it in a ebgames of gamestop. I think take will give 40 dollars in store credit.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

spratster
January 18th, 2005, 13:34
dude a disk read error prob is so easy to fix but it takes time and patience i have fixed 3 ps2 so far with this prob including my own. it has nothing to do with faulty wiring or the ps2's programing.all you have to do is calabrate your laser which take alot of time because each time you calabrate you must check if you can boot. ps1 ,ps2 cds,ps2 dvd, and ps2 purple bottom cds once your ps2 can read all 4 formats your laser is proparly calibrated. but be warned doing this voidds your warrenty so i take no responsiblity if anything goes wrong i can only guide you though it.

yea right coz lasers never go wrong do they !!!!!!!! :o
tssr !

Emulation_Chief
February 19th, 2005, 15:46
I have the same problem as all of you and I also made two things to solve it.

The first one was to buy a new laser lens. I found on Ebay a new lens for version 4 of the console. It's a KHS-400B lens. I replaced the original with this one. It indeed worked, but I can only play my original games. it doesn't allow me to boot my homebrew games on CD and DVD. Many of the old versions of PS2 has in the back of the console a white wheel, wich is the lens calibration. Even with moving that, It does not boot my homebrew.

The other step is to clean and calibrate the lens alone. How to do this? on the back of the laser piece you will see 3 screws. carefully remove them and the inside of the lens will show. You will notice a glass piece just below the laser. Clean it carefully with a very small cotton swab with just very little of alcohol to clean it. You can do the same on the upper lens. Put it back altogether. Also on the back of the laser piece are two weird screws. Those ones calibrate the intensity of the lens. Just move it very little very slowly. Too much movement on those screws and say bye bye to the usefulness of the laser. It's the price we all have to pay for keeping our consoles alive much longer.