PDA

View Full Version : 64% of Online Gamers Are Female

wraggster
October 8th, 2006, 12:59
Via Slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/08/0758214)

According to a report discussed on 1up, a new study by the Nielsen folks finds that more than half of the 117 Million U.S. online gamers are women. From the article:
"The study's announcement release doesn't break down what games they're playing, though we expect sites like pogo.com, which feature a multitude of Flash-based games are rather high on the list. Even more surprising is how many older gamers are playing. While the teenage market dominates in numbers, the study says more than 15 million gamers, about 8%, are actually at least 45 years old."

Hawq
October 8th, 2006, 13:23
Are they sure they dont mean 64% claim to be female while in reality are 45 year old 300lb guys?

splodger15
October 8th, 2006, 14:10
Are they sure they dont mean 64% claim to be female while in reality are 45 year old 300lb guys?

lol

crypysmoker
October 8th, 2006, 14:30

Thats exactly what I was thinking. this Pole is full of it. 64% of online gamers are female..... then how is it that I know only 2?? 2 out of a couple hundred people... yep.. sound slike 64% to me.

I think either someone is full of it, or someone is just trying to get more girls to say "hey, theres that many that play maybe I should"...

its bull.

64%...thats every 6.5 out of 10 people that are girls and I dont even get 1 female in every game I play.

JKKDARK
October 8th, 2006, 14:53
or maybe they are guys using female characters/avatars :p

quzar
October 8th, 2006, 14:54
Do any of you know what pogo.com is? It's a collection of online games like dominos, poker, etc. I fully believe that if they are talking *ANY* online games that females would make up more than 50%. Think of the sims, which has a HUGE female following.

BlackJack23
October 8th, 2006, 15:03
Its very interesting. I think online gaming introduces that very special social aspect which is what women are looking for in games.

JKKDARK
October 8th, 2006, 15:15
it is only for the u.s., right?

Veskgar
October 8th, 2006, 15:30
With advanced "LIVE" meeting places with webcams, voice chat, & more that you see in XBOX LIVE and soon the PS3, it would definitely be nice to see more female gamers online.

I think part of the problem is that there may be a sort of "stereotype" attached to playing video games. Like guys may not want to introduce girls to gaming for fear that they may come across as a "nerdy type" or something.

Gaming is becoming more and more widespread and a big part of modern day living. I think in time it will get more and more accepted as "cool" -

infernomax
October 8th, 2006, 16:11
I play socom 2, and there's like 2 out of 300 people i know that are girl gamers

ExcruciationX
October 8th, 2006, 17:11
I don't believe that. I don't know any girl gamers, except my sister.

Rocksil
October 8th, 2006, 17:14
I don't believe that. I don't know any girl gamers, except my sister.
yah same here if you think of it its not true mostly guys play gAmEs

Junixx
October 8th, 2006, 17:15
Hm, when I used to play WoW there were actually quite a few girl gamers, but I've only seen a few on Counter Strike, I think it really depends on the genre and the girl

JKKDARK
October 8th, 2006, 17:20
there are some girls playing phantasy star online, an morpg :)

idapimp
October 8th, 2006, 18:13
kick ass

F9zDark
October 8th, 2006, 18:21
I know of a few girls that play games online. 1 of them only plays games like you'd find on Pogo.com but most of the others play MMO games.

However that is only 5 people, and its not like they all live around me, I know the other 4 from the internet (I have met them, so I know they aint 40 year old guys; even though one of the girls was 40 the others were between 19-30).

However 64% seems like a lot, considering that I know of only 1 girl who lives near me who plays games on the internet.

If 64% is anywhere near an accurate result that must mean that the density of girl gamers is EXTREME in some areas and nearly non-existent in others.

I don't believe it; even if they play shitty flash games, its just not possible that the difference between female gamers to male gamers is that high.

Kaze Darkwind
October 8th, 2006, 18:32
Its not talking about MMORPGs by themselves, its more rating other games like Windows games, yahoos online games, and other stuff like that, at my school every single girl there goes onto yahoo to play those retarded games XD lighten up on the study a bit :P

Destroyer699
October 8th, 2006, 18:38
I know only about 3. 64% seens awfully high.

PSPJuNkY4EvEr
October 8th, 2006, 19:12
Lots of women do play online games. Remember that this world has more women than men. But women don't play real games. They play solitaire, tetris and checkers. Play a real game. Doom 3, Quake 4, Oblivion Elder Scrolls, Battle Field, Navy Field, and all the other cool up to date technologically advanced games. I don't see many women buying a dual Sli ATI x1900 ... etc So yea webpage flash games don't count. We men take video gaming seriously =)

StealthCP
October 8th, 2006, 19:49
64% of Online Gamers Are Female...
Bullshit.

quzar
October 8th, 2006, 20:50
Lots of women do play online games. Remember that this world has more women than men. But women don't play real games. They play solitaire, tetris and checkers. Play a real game. Doom 3, Quake 4, Oblivion Elder Scrolls, Battle Field, Navy Field, and all the other cool up to date technologically advanced games. I don't see many women buying a dual Sli ATI x1900 ... etc So yea webpage flash games don't count. We men take video gaming seriously =)

So a 'real game' requires 3D graphics? Also, Sli is Nvidia's proprietary name for multi-video card technology, ATI's is called Crossfire.

Knuxman
October 8th, 2006, 21:07
Lies! There are no girls on the internet!

ACID
October 9th, 2006, 07:34
Is this for real.

pibs
October 9th, 2006, 07:38
yup sounds real, i mean alot of girls use guy avatars because they are sick of guys trying to get all up on them n shet.

ACID
October 9th, 2006, 07:39
I have only know of one female gamer in my life thats why i find it so hard to believe.

dejkirkby
October 9th, 2006, 07:40
My wife and daughter play on like Yahoo and all kinds of other flash games, so that's like 40% in my house.
This could be true.

ACID
October 9th, 2006, 07:43
Oh they mean that kind of gaming. Shoot that doesnt count. I thought they ment things like MMORPG

dejkirkby
October 9th, 2006, 07:53
Oh they mean that kind of gaming. Shoot that doesnt count. I thought they ment things like MMORPG
I thought that too, until I re-read the article.

Chib
October 22nd, 2006, 15:50
i think someone pulled those figures out of a hat