PDA

View Full Version : 48 Hour Pong (3D)

Kramer
October 9th, 2006, 16:37
Coded By: Insomniac

Why is it named 48 Hour Pong? Because I needed a weekend off from my current projects and fancied making a full game in a 48 hour period.

Features include:

* Full 3D
* Ability to change view
* WiFi transmission of player scores to a database to see how good you are compared to other players.
* Player stats are saved
* Ability to modify the graphics and audio
* When on the menu screen a demo of 2 AI opponents plays

Modifiers:

If you wish to modify the graphics or audio then please do so. Just keep the graphics the same size and name as the originals. The ball actually rotates (as in rolls), it's hard to tell with the original texture for it, but make sure your modified graphics utilise this.
Also, link to this site to download the original game and supply a separate link for your modified files. Do not repackage the game!

Updates:

This was a purely 48 hour thing, I will only update the game if a bug is found or I need another 'weekend off'.

The player file is encrypted very basically to stop simple methods of altering it, if the database is abused by cheaters I will remove it. Play fair.

Controls:

* Use the D-pad or the analog stick to move when in the game.
* Right Trigger will change your view between 3rd person, 1st person or top down.
* Left Trigger will change the camera mode from 'fixed' to 'follow'. This only applies to 3rd person view.
* Cross is for selection on menus, all other notable operations will prompt you for which button to press.
* Select will take a screenshot (self-incrementing)

Credits:

The background effect is based on a PSP SDK sample.
Audio is from flashkit.com and is royalty free.

Source: http://insomniac.0x89.org/index.php?id=2

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

BL4Z3D247
October 9th, 2006, 17:15
dude this looks awesome, madd trippy looking, gunna play it now :D

Kramer
October 9th, 2006, 17:19
Yeah its good ay and if you have wifi you can upload your scores and check them out here.
http://insomniac.0x89.org/index.php?id=62
mines up there im 2nd. I put DCEmu in my name to piss the QJers off lol

BL4Z3D247
October 9th, 2006, 17:29
^lol i'll do the same to rep DCEmu :D

Malksta
October 9th, 2006, 17:46
Looking good

ACID
October 9th, 2006, 18:16
Sweet dude keep it up.

mesosade
October 9th, 2006, 18:44
for 48 hours this is REALLY good lol looks like that random screensaver i had in the background

splodger15
October 9th, 2006, 19:01
looks really good

LAMPRO
October 9th, 2006, 19:01
put a 1.5 eboot up please!!

Kramer
October 9th, 2006, 19:05
ok then just wait.

EDIT: 1.5 eboot up.

LAMPRO
October 9th, 2006, 19:07
thanks kramer great

Kramer
October 9th, 2006, 19:16
No probs

BlackJack23
October 9th, 2006, 20:06
Haha

48 hours straight...
Your name is justified

alamosh
October 9th, 2006, 20:17
nice game! there's always time for a little pong...

AtariFreek
October 9th, 2006, 20:20
This is sweet!

valar
October 9th, 2006, 20:33
it's cool you can actually change your view by pressing r1.nice release.keep it up!

LAMPRO
October 9th, 2006, 20:35
1.5 kxploit....patience.

Insomniac197
October 9th, 2006, 20:53
Thanks for the kind words!

I didn't spend 48 hours straight on it, about 20 hours total in a 48 hour period.

Glad you enjoy it.

-=Insomniac=-

Vega
October 9th, 2006, 20:59
nice work... love the trippy look :)

Elven6
October 9th, 2006, 21:13
hmm this partialy works on 2.81, it goes to the PSP screen and then crashes, with 1.0 it gives you a error after getting past the PSP screen.

blackrave
October 9th, 2006, 21:51
I'm gonna try this out tomorrow. Looks stunning, especially considering it's developed in 20 hours! I like the high score-uploading feature.

Thanks for the great work, Insomniac197!

LAMPRO
October 10th, 2006, 06:31
what happend to the 1.5 folder?

Insomniac197
October 10th, 2006, 08:43
You can download for your firmware at my site: http://insomniac.0x89.org/

The 'High Scores' page on my site has been improved.

I've changed the display of the scores so that they are spread across multiple pages.

I wasn't really expecting this kind of high volume so I had to change it so the scores weren't all listed on the same page.

Overall position column has been added.

Also added an extra sort so that it's now ordered by number of wins, then least number of losses for people with the same amount of wins.

It's also worth noting that your scores are kept from game to game, whether you restart the PSP or whatever.

You can also upload your scores as often as you like, you will simple overwrite your previous score.

If you wish to reset your scores, simply delete the file named 'PlayerFile' on your PSP (It's in the 48 hour pong game folder). A new one will be created when you next start the game.

mr_nick666
October 10th, 2006, 09:26
Superb work insomniac :D Like the scoreboard idea too - great! ;) I think the background was called Mystify on windows :rolleyes:

What the hell can you do in a week!?? :eek:

papayo
October 10th, 2006, 20:34
I can also see someone's using my screen name in the highscore list >_> Normaly I wouldn't mind, but this guy lost 24 times -_-"

Any way I played the game, and I liked it. Good job :D

XpspX
October 14th, 2006, 07:19
hmm this partialy works on 2.81, it goes to the PSP screen and then crashes, with 1.0 it gives you a error after getting past the PSP screen.

yea...i was curious after you said this and it DOES launch the gameboot then freezes. Never had homebrew on my 2.80 ever do that before. Usually just get corrupt data right away.:confused:

Broonale
October 14th, 2006, 16:13
this game is surely addictive!