PDA

View Full Version : Entry & license rules

losinggeneration
October 9th, 2006, 17:13
If we use GPL'd code that can be used without the author's permission right? And since the GPL requires derived work to be GPL (and thus source provided) do we have to release the source when we post the program/game/demo? Or could we wait till after the contest is over to post the code?

I don't have anything very far right now, but there's a good chance it will depend on a GPL'd license which will make my code need to be released under the GPL.

quzar
October 9th, 2006, 18:19
You have to have permission from the author even if it's GPL. Don't take this to mean that I'm trying to say that that is a condition of the GPL, as it's not in any way. It is however a condition of this contest.

I can't find where the rules were posted, but that was supposed to be part of them...

losinggeneration
October 10th, 2006, 05:12
Updated

No use of copyrighted images, sounds, or code without explicit permission from the author (this can include the author having released the materials under a license which allows you to reuse it in the manner in which you are).

No ports allowed without explicit permission of the author (also includes license. Please check the license carefully as some otherwise 'open source' licenses specifically bar the use for profit) GPL ports are allowed without the author premission.

So I also thought since ports of GPL code is allowed without author permission using GPL libraries wouldn't be different.

BlueCrab
October 10th, 2006, 16:58
If we use GPL'd code that can be used without the author's permission right? And since the GPL requires derived work to be GPL (and thus source provided) do we have to release the source when we post the program/game/demo? Or could we wait till after the contest is over to post the code?

I don't have anything very far right now, but there's a good chance it will depend on a GPL'd license which will make my code need to be released under the GPL.No matter what, you must provide the soruce code when you release/post a binary (or at least a legally binding offer to get it) if you use GPL'd code.

quzar
October 11th, 2006, 00:28
Updated

No use of copyrighted images, sounds, or code without explicit permission from the author (this can include the author having released the materials under a license which allows you to reuse it in the manner in which you are).

No ports allowed without explicit permission of the author (also includes license. Please check the license carefully as some otherwise 'open source' licenses specifically bar the use for profit) GPL ports are allowed without the author premission.

So I also thought since ports of GPL code is allowed without author permission using GPL libraries wouldn't be different.

Sorry. Even though I actually wrote the update to the rules I had forgotten what it was o_O. What the rules say is accurate, you can enter a GPL port without author permission. I would suggest though that you try to contact the author, just out of courtesy ;) .