PDA

View Full Version : Popular Petition: Pro Wii Region-Free

SuperJMN
October 9th, 2006, 18:42
Hello.

I would like to inform you that there's a recently popular movement that has created a formal petition for region-free Wii games. The petition is targeted to Nintendo in several languages (including English, Spanish and French) and can be seen on this page from PetitionOnline (http://www.petitiononline.com/wii1234/petition.html)

The supporting website URL is http://freewii.freehostia.com, written in Spanish as the promoter is spanish. They have about 2000 signs in only 3 days and the initiative is being very well taken and the most important websites in Spain already have news about this petition.

I would like to spread the word in the international scene to increase the popularity and make the petition a success.

I'm sending this e-mail to Gizmodo, Ars Technica and DCEmu UK (via "send news" forum).

Thank you.

wraggster
October 9th, 2006, 18:47
Hi i fully support this, i was most disapointed about Nintendos decision

Malksta
October 9th, 2006, 19:10
Signed. :)

saward85
October 9th, 2006, 19:15
me too.

SuperJMN
October 9th, 2006, 19:50
1820 and counting...

All my friends are signing the petition. C'mon! Join and let your voice impact a BAD decision.

Anger
October 9th, 2006, 20:16
signed also. this is something worth fighting for while theres time for it to be changed.

lexluthor
October 9th, 2006, 21:07
I signed it. However I thought (And I might be wrong) That the Hardware was region locked (The UK Wii box says PAL on it) Doesnt that mean this is impossible for Wii that have already been produced?

chemical
October 9th, 2006, 21:10
I signed to, i totally agree, if other consoles such as Playstations were region-free it would of saved me some bother, as would Wii if it was changed to region free.

Kramer
October 9th, 2006, 21:11
Yeah thats what im thinking it's probably too late for this.

SSaxdude
October 10th, 2006, 03:11
Why didn't I think of this earlier?
Anyways, I'll sign it, but I hope it's not too late.

cloud_952
October 10th, 2006, 04:11
Soo.. as I said before (on other topics):

Nintendo of Japan is making all the calls here, no NoA or Europe. Japan. What language is this petition not in? =D Yes, Japanese! So, basically, you're sending a petition with a bunch of meaningless signatures to a corporate office that has no control over policy issues. Japan is the one that drives the Nintendo machine and makes the decisions as to what goes on, and the other branches follow along and adapt for their own markets.

To add to it, online petitions are useless. According to studies, people don't really listen to internet forms on things like this. Why? Because it's too easy. All one person has to do is type their name and call it a "signature". Since it requires no effort from the individual, it shows that they aren't really dedicated. Senators and other public officials stopped listening to e-mail campaigns (and even mass-mailing campaigns that only use a printed letter) years ago. Companies are the same. Even worse, you can falsify signatures on an online petition, making it even more useless.

Assuming that the petition would be listened to (it won't), you're sending it to a company that has no control over anything. Since Nintendo of Japan is not only.. shock, in Japan, they generally listen to Japanese gamers anyway.

If you want to give this petition a shot, then it needs to be done by walking the streets and collecting signatures.. in Japan. =D And written in Japanese.

(of course, no company in their right mind would change a whole region-policy just because of that, but at least you'd be closer to a slim chance, instead of nowhere near)

o_o Yeeeep.

homebrew1973
October 10th, 2006, 09:15
I don`t think any of you need worry, after all no doubt Datel will release Free Loader for the Wii.

dejkirkby
October 10th, 2006, 09:38
Signed!

GagaMan
October 10th, 2006, 14:05
Hmm, a big problem about asking for this now is that, well...they've already got thousands of these things produced. As someone else has already said, wait for a Free Loader/cheat disc thing to come along.

ExcruciationX
October 16th, 2006, 17:51
Signed. :)

mesosade
October 17th, 2006, 18:10
freeloader or not SIGNED! :)

JKKDARK
October 17th, 2006, 20:14
I signed ;)

Dee-Lite
October 18th, 2006, 01:02
Signed. No of sigs is no 6030!!

CrackA
October 18th, 2006, 11:31
1820 and counting...

All my friends are signing the petition. C'mon! Join and let your voice impact a BAD decision.
no.

Vegetable
December 2nd, 2006, 18:11
Because online petitions have worked before, rite?