PDA

View Full Version : Sega dev drops PS3 online details

wraggster
October 9th, 2006, 18:45
Speaking in Official PlayStation Magazine US's podcast, Full Auto 2 producer Mike Gallo has dropped the first details on Sony's PS3 online service, which will go head to head with Xbox Live when the console launches in Japan and the US next month.

Referring to the online mode in Sega's car-combat sequel, Gallo said: "We use Gamespy as part of our backend. And we do support your user profile, or whatever the final name for that's gonna be for the [PlayStation 3], that'll be what gets logged for stats."

He continued: "When you first turn on the machine it logs you in automatically, I think you can change that in the settings. You have a user ID and an online profile, thats set up through the PlayStation, we don't have anything to do with that. That's all done through the PlayStation Network."

Sounds a bit like Xbox Live then, but the similarity doesn't end there - Sony has previously announced a self-proclaimed "virtual society" for its next-gen online service, with friends lists, player profiles and messaging all making the list. The online microtransactions system also sounds similar to Microsoft's offering, though on the PS3 you'll apparently be able to download games, music and movies.

Will Sony be able to stand up to the mighty Xbox Live? We can only wait and see.

Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=147300)

briyan
October 9th, 2006, 18:59
sweet! i've been longing to dive into online gaming..now that they will have a robust online community like the xbox live, i will have a new-found love when I get my ps3.

gamehunter101
October 9th, 2006, 19:01
nice wonder if its all in the free version

JD/
October 9th, 2006, 19:34
I hope online ability is compatable with ps2 games aswell. That will breath new life into ps2 games like phantasy star online/universe man those games are awesome.