PDA

View Full Version : Wii Will Have an Updatable Linux OS

wraggster
October 9th, 2006, 20:52
There's bits and pieces of information floating around that revolve around Iwata Asks interviews on Nintendo's website. What I found interesting was the tidbit about the updatable operating system: 'Wii is the first system from Nintendo that we can continue to be involved in (via operating system updates) after the customer buys it. This means that Wii will greatly expand and diversify the ways in which people will enjoy games in the future.' The Wii is reported to operate on top of a proprietary form of the Linux kernel, although there are already efforts to make a GNU/Linux for the console. So, the answer to the age old question is that it already runs Linux

Via /.

gotmilk0112
October 9th, 2006, 21:16
sweet!!!

ninja9393
October 9th, 2006, 21:40
cool:D

NoQuarter
October 9th, 2006, 21:40
Cool,can't wait to find out more :)

weaselboy246
October 9th, 2006, 23:04
lets hope to god it's hackable :P

skater9269
October 9th, 2006, 23:25
im extremley worried about words like updatable, and always connected it scares the crap out of me think how much they would hate us running emus on it when they already have ones that you must pay for I feel like there is absolutley no way sadly that the wii will get homebrew.

whatsorrow
October 10th, 2006, 17:24
i think it will get homebrew i just think that your gonna have to do it without hooking it up online.....so you might have to buy 2 =D

cyrien
October 11th, 2006, 20:01
Hrmm... 2 Wiis... $500... still cheaper than a PS3!

And if you think Sony isn't doing some form of lame DRM, well then I would say you need to study history a little more and Sony REALLY needs to look at their record on that score. Sony seems determined to prove the old saying "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it" true... over and over. Such a shame since so many of their products are actually good.