PDA

View Full Version : Metareview - Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (PS2)

wraggster
October 10th, 2006, 18:03
Midway released its seventh Mortal Kombat fighter (excluding special editions) this week; Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. The game features over 60 characters from just about every MK game you can think of, create a fighter mode, create a fatality mode, only play, and story modes. Though I haven't been a fan of the series since MKII (seems like it took a dive starting with MKIII), Armageddon is getting some solid initial reviews with an average Meta Critic score of 86/100. Here's a sampling of reviews:

Games Radar 90% - "It may or may not be the blood-soaked ending to the franchise, but it's easily one of the most enjoyable games in the series and one of the most unapologetically fun games of the season."
IGN 85% - "The inclusion of 62 total warriors is a massive achievement. Throw in a fun, albeit short Konquest mode, a diversionary mini-game, a new fatality system, and perhaps one of the largest character creation modes we've seen, and you have a great title that will keep Mortal Kombat fans busy for months."
Game Informer 83% - "The Mortal Kombat series has had its ups and downs, and this sequel embodies it all. The immense roster is a glorious thing, but by altering the sacred Fatality, the action just isn't up to the series' standards or what fans expect."
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon retails for $40. An Xbox edition hits next week with a Wii version expected sometime in early 2007.

briyan
October 10th, 2006, 22:04
sweet! i'll be checkin this one out fo sho!

SnesR0X
October 12th, 2006, 02:11
looks nice

Napalm-Death
October 12th, 2006, 04:23
I stopped liking MK after Ultimate, but this seems interesting!

Cap'n 1time
October 12th, 2006, 09:43
I stopped liking MK after Ultimate, but this seems interesting!

you really have to give these new generation games a chance! Like you probably felt, mortal kombat 4 was just too weird. I had a friend who owned hte last release ( i think deception) and i havnt had that much fun since Soul Calibur for the DC. really, give em a go!

im quite excited about this game and i might even go as far as to purchase unchained if it gets good reviews.

ACID
October 12th, 2006, 09:59
you really have to give these new generation games a chance! Like you probably felt, mortal kombat 4 was just too weird. I had a friend who owned hte last release ( i think deception) and i havnt had that much fun since Soul Calibur for the DC. really, give em a go!

im quite excited about this game and i might even go as far as to purchase unchained if it gets good reviews.
I agree with the great Captain. I stoped liking MK after it got all fansy with all the extra stuff. But this one looks great. And yes Soul Caliber was super for the DC

Napalm-Death
October 14th, 2006, 13:35
I've played all of them before though, I just don't like the transition from 2D to 3D with MK. I played Armageddon last night, and I just dunno what to say, the only thing I liked was that it had so many characters, and I love laughing at the sound effects. It's probably because I love 2D more than anything, and yeah Soul Calibur on DC was a great game.

eloyluna
October 14th, 2006, 13:53
love morRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRtTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAALL LLLLLLL Kombat sorry had to yell oh by the way i wanna see Melinas boobies

acn010
October 14th, 2006, 14:17
im still waiting in the store for this game, damn it, it suppose to come out this thursday and today is saturday! >_<:

Amethyst
October 19th, 2006, 12:09
I'm looking forward to playing this game.

I had a lot of fun playing Shaolin Monks and MK2 with my brother.

Cap'n 1time
October 19th, 2006, 13:13
I rented it on monday, The Konquest mode is MUCH better than the last (though still just a little too easy in my opinion). It plays sort of like shaolin monks at times, and other times it takes you into the classical 1 on 1 kombat we all know and love. I dont know if the ps2 version has it, but kreate a character delivers, and yet leaves you wishing for more stuff. You can make some fugly characters, sexy lady characters, remake characters from other fighting game series and anime's. Also a totally awsome thing is you can change the attacks and stuff so that you can pull off thoes huge combos (thus far my record is a 40% 14 hit combo) you can even modify the players stance and the weapon the character uses. Its a good game and worthy of at the very least a rent. I really miss the old mini games from the last mortal kombat, but motor kombat gives you at some fun if you have a friend, its sort of a waste of time if your flying solo.. any way thats my tree fiddy.

dondonkat
November 2nd, 2006, 18:07
I love this game... if you liked any mortal kombat game... especially 2 or 3 then you'll love this version. every single character is back so you can replay your old favourites. Theres an official site somewhere, think its called kreativekilling (all one word) if you're in doubt then check out that site.