PDA

View Full Version : Sony Australia spills its thoughts on Nintendo

wraggster
October 10th, 2006, 18:21
We've heard Microsoft's thoughts many a time, but what does Sony's crew down-under think of Nintendo's radical console?

Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, recently spoke with Australian newspaper, The Age, discussing his company's plans for the PlayStation brand this Christmas, and, more interestingly, how Nintendo will affect what's in-store.

When asked about Nintendo's goal of attracting the mass market - something that Sony has achieved with impressive results - Ephraim said, "Nintendo is a great company as far as games development goes, they have been around for a long time, they know how to deliver an entertaining product. My only question for this Christmas on Wii is the price point. Even though it's affordable, at $400 plus whatever you need to buy accessories-wise, I'm guessing you need to spend about $500 to take home a Wii and enjoy it," he said

While playing may equal believing, Ephraim has yet to experience Nintendo's revolutionary system, but said, "I've heard good things about it. For this Christmas, I think that price point is still not family entertainment because $500 is a lot to fork out, but we welcome the Nintendo heritage of gaming where they can appeal to a broader audience because long-term that is critical for the industry."

"What we've done on PlayStation 2 with social gaming has broadened the audience and we're glad that [Nintendo is] attempting to do similar things to open up the market to families and never-before gamers. Time will tell. For this Christmas I think the price for what it specifically does as a video games machine is a bit pricey," said Ephraim, continuing by believing that it's a long term plan, for which Sony has "great respect for."

Ephraim also shared his thoughts on the handheld scene, and specifically the success of the Nintendo DS compared with the PSP. "The DS really appeals to a lot younger, very female skewed [audience], and the DS has done a fabulous job," he said. "PSP is a product that if you go back to the analogy of PlayStation and PlayStation 2, they are leaders in their field as far as the consumer offering. Price points, perceptions, or consumers coming to grips with what the device truly offers and the value that it offers, does take time."

Nintendo's Wii hits Australian shores in just over 57 days, while people wanting Sony's PlayStation 3 will have to wait until March 2007, at the earliest, when the system is expected to debut for around a 'grand'.

gotmilk0112
October 10th, 2006, 20:26
sony is a ***got, WII IS NOT 400$. WII IS 249 RETARD SONY.

but i did calculate the prices:

Wii + 2 games + extra wiimote + extra nunchuck = 429$ without tax. but still that is 171$ cheaper than the ps3 ALL BY ITSELF!!!!!

Dear $ony: STFU & GTFO & STOP COPYING NINTENDO THEN SAYING THEY ARE CRAP.

"I've heard good things about it. For this Christmas, I think that price point is still not family entertainment because $500 is a lot to fork out, but we welcome the Nintendo heritage of gaming where they can appeal to a broader audience because long-term that is critical for the industry."

800$ IS NOT A "GOOD PRICE POINT".

basicly all $ony is blabbing about is the "bad price" of the wii.

so $ony with their 600$ system is calling a 250$ system a high price? i have to laugh at that. :D

paul1991
October 10th, 2006, 22:27
The idiot. If it will cost 500$ for the cheaper wii games and accs. Wont it cost around 1250usd to buy the ps3?

gotmilk0112
October 11th, 2006, 03:06
PS3 + 2 Games + extra controller + HD-compatible TV = somewhere around 2,000$. and they're saying "500$" for the wii is bad....

Video_freak
October 11th, 2006, 03:14
Just to clear it up for everyone, you put the "$" before the number. (Don't want to be a pain, but seems like everyone's doing it. :P)

Sony's only true arguement against the Wii was it's price point. I do have to agree a little that $200 would be more reasonable for a console that really isn't "high tech". Also, charging people $60 for a "full controller set" (Wiimote+ nunchuck) is a little disapointing. If they brought that price down to $30-$40, I would be a little happier. :)

All in all, the Wii is going to kick ass, even though it is a little over-priced, and I'm going to be having fun this Christmas. :)

ICE
October 11th, 2006, 04:18
wii is a little overpriced...... whereas the ps3 is extremely overpriced.

SnesR0X
October 11th, 2006, 05:34
Yea, it'll set me back a bit, but it'll be worth it. for 500 bucks, that's only 57 hours of working at mount seymour! Oh, wait, it sounds a bit better if i say 8 shifts, yes, that sounds a lot better:)

Dickhead
October 11th, 2006, 15:30
I think the wii is good value as it also includes 1 game!!!!. its £179 with 1 game. How much do u think PS3 game will cost? £50-60? and the ps3 £400? PS3 hardware is too expensive right now!!!

geise69
October 12th, 2006, 18:43
Well there's a few psp games I don't play anymore and I already got a good trade in on those games. All the credit is going towards the Wii. It will get me an extra game and controller for free basically.

infernomax
October 13th, 2006, 14:28
Yere $399 is the official price for wii in AUS

CrackA
October 13th, 2006, 15:59
sony are arrogant ****ers, im really thinking of getting an xbox360 instead.