PDA

View Full Version : Sony exec questions high price of Wii, 360 hardware

Darksaviour69
October 11th, 2006, 11:04
Consoles too expensive for intended audiences say Oz boss

Sony Australia's Michael Ephraim has questioned the price point of rival next-gen hardware, stating the Wii is "a lot to fork out" for the intended family audience, while branding the Xbox 360 as "pricey".

Speaking to Australia's The Age newspaper, Ephraim also said he believes that the PAL delay of the PS3 will not impact sales in the long term.

"My only question for this Christmas on Wii is the price point," said Ephraim.

"Even though it's affordable, at AUD $400 (EUR 237) plus whatever you need to buy accessories-wise, I'm guessing you need to spend about AUD $500 (EUR 296) to take home a Wii and enjoy it."

"For this Christmas, I think that price point is still not family entertainment because AUD $500 is a lot to fork out, but we welcome the Nintendo heritage of gaming where they can appeal to a broader audience because long-term that is critical for the industry," he said.

And while admitting Microsoft had done "fairly well" at launch, the Australia boss believes the Xbox 360 is focused on too narrow an audience and still priced too high.

"I think their product offering is still not broad enough. The content is narrow and appeals only to a very core group," he said.

He added: "It's still pricey, and I'm sure Microsoft will do everything they can, but if you just look at the offerings from each format and the marketplace that we are now playing in, especially PlayStation 2, it has to be affordable because we are talking about mass-market and non traditional gamers."

Discussing the PlayStation 3, which will retail at AUD $830 (EUR 492) and AUD $999 (EUR 592) for the two sku's, Ephraim stated that the post-Christmas delay of PAL units was an initial disappointment, but retail had backed the move and was now looking forward to a clear sales window during the March launch.

"We would have loved to have launched for Christmas. But based on our discussions with retailers, they are very keen and excited about a March launch because it gives us a period to communicate with our customers that is not cluttered," he said.

"So in the long run, if you take a five-year or three or two-year view, it won't have any impact at all," added Ephraim.

Source = GamesIndustry.biz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20299)

dejkirkby
October 11th, 2006, 11:09
Pot, kettle, black! Do Sony execs think before speaking, or do they really believe that the new machine is the Second Coming?

MikeDX
October 11th, 2006, 11:19
What a total muppet. Get your head out of the clouds

dejkirkby
October 11th, 2006, 11:22
Me or the exec?

Darksaviour69
October 11th, 2006, 11:28
Pot, kettle, black! Do Sony execs think before speaking, or do they really believe that the new machine is the Second Coming?

no the 3rd coming, the ps2 was the second ;p

MikeDX
October 11th, 2006, 11:32
Me or the exec?

LOL!

Not you. if I meant you I'd have quoted you :p

dejkirkby
October 11th, 2006, 11:32
They are really deluded. I've heard of delusions of grandeur, but this takes the biscuit.

Our rivals are too expensive.
But, Mr. Exec, your system is the most expensive.
So? No more questions. Up, up and away!

zidanerick
October 11th, 2006, 11:38
I will NOT be buying a ps3 in OZ, cmon $1000 for a damn console, thats crazy, i already have an XBOX 360 which was too expensive in my opinion at AU$649 but i feel it was worth every cent. If you cant tell i will be buying a Wii though :D

Cloudhunter
October 11th, 2006, 11:40
Ok :(.... :p

Seriously though, he is SUCH a hypocrite!

Cloudy

tsaikimon
October 11th, 2006, 15:54
I've owned a 360 since launch day and enjoy the hell out of it but I still consider myself a sony fan. But geeesh,:eek: these guys are seriously going crazy. All I want to know is why the guy asking the questons didn't flog him for this nonsense.

r2works
October 11th, 2006, 17:41
The PS3 has a march release? Is this world wide?

..oh yah, were you all really suprised by such comments from a Sony exect?

Tomppa
October 11th, 2006, 18:59
He's an @$$, ok. So am I. What about it?
But, I haven't been following Wii stuff lately. Price surprised me. They actually selling that Pimped out GameCube for almost 300€, omg. (please, don't flame me for that)
I see he's point, Ps3 hardware is way more expensive compared to retail price than wii's, maybe even x360's. But still, highs high on.. well, nevermind. I don't relly care anymore about these news. I'm buying the PS3 anyway, if it sucks, well, I won't be buying PS4 :D Really, this "sonys brand is bad" stuff really doesn't hit me. PS1 was great. Thinking that I bought PS2. Guess what, it was great too :eek: So, hoping the scheme to continue.
All I really can hope for, addition to what I know now, is open for user applications. Really, thats it.
Please, flame me some other time.

SnesR0X
October 11th, 2006, 19:45
well, it really is just a pimped out gamecube, with crap like you've never seen;) but everything about it is good, and that controller must have taken a long time and a lot of money to produce, the only thing i think is that it would have been easy to get an already existing graphics card in there that is still good, i mean, if it was half as good looking as ps3/360 graphics that'd be sweet, but the graphics still arn't too shabby so wahtevea, games can be fun without good graphics, like Ocarina of Time....*drools*