PDA

View Full Version : Porting Help

Elven6
October 12th, 2006, 00:08
I want to try my hand at DC developing and I wanted to know how you would port games over using the Katana Development Software.

Smurph
October 12th, 2006, 07:39
I want to try my hand at DC developing and I wanted to know how you would port games over using the Katana Development Software.

Firstly: If you use Katana, don't expect any homebrew sites to host it, Reason: You are not licensed by Sega to use it = WAREZ, and anything produced with it = WAREZ.

Use KallistiOS instead. It's free and completely legal. Windows users can download a handy ISO which includes cygwin. It seems that the page at consolevision with the ISO is dead... So I'll megaupload it sometime tomorrow.

fackue
October 13th, 2006, 22:15
It seems that the page at consolevision with the ISO is dead... So I'll megaupload it sometime tomorrow.
It just moved to a new url.
http://www.consolevision.com/?Dreamcast:Development:Under_Windows

Elven6
October 13th, 2006, 22:28
Isn't that the one I am using?

Elven6
October 14th, 2006, 00:03
Alright so I downloaded it and extracted it, according to the readme it should have something to do with the PC aswell but when I mount it the data is not reckongnizable.

Well how would I start porting?

SiZiOUS
October 14th, 2006, 15:58
Alright so I downloaded it and extracted it, according to the readme it should have something to do with the PC aswell but when I mount it the data is not reckongnizable.

Well how would I start porting? Are you talking about mounting the dciso R2 in a virtual drive ? if yes, you can't because this disc has built with bin2boot. So grab a cdrw and burn this image to it with alcohol in TAO mode. After this the cd can be readable and you can startup your dc environment setup.

Elven6
October 14th, 2006, 19:05
Ok I got the thing installed, so what are the basics for porting?

Smurph
October 18th, 2006, 16:48
Ok I got the thing installed, so what are the basics for porting?

If you don't know it already, learn C++ and become familiar with basic *nix terminal commands.

BlueCrab
October 18th, 2006, 17:13
This really belongs in the Dreamcast Development forum, so away we go.

Elven6
October 21st, 2006, 21:06
If you don't know it already, learn C++ and become familiar with basic *nix terminal commands.

Well I know about the C++ stuff but when people make ports what is it that they look for?

henzenmann
October 22nd, 2006, 23:09
Well I know about the C++ stuff but when people make ports what is it that they look for?

You read the source code of the program you wish to port and identify all the parts that are platform-dependent (Mostly graphics rendering, sound output, input handling, file operations).

Then you need to find out how to do all these operations on the Dreamcast with the tools that are available (KOS, SDL, etc.) and rewrite all those parts with code that will work on the DC.

Elven6
October 22nd, 2006, 23:31
ahh I see, thanks for your help hopefully I can get some things going.