PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo's weapon of mass destruction

wraggster
October 12th, 2006, 17:12
The launch of Nintendo's Wii console could be the most destructive videogame event for more than 20 years. More destructive than the launch of PlayStation, which in effect killed Sega as a console producer and relegated Nintendo to a humiliating court jester role. More destructive even than the 1983 collapse, when Atari released so many gut-bustingly awful games it almost killed the industry.
Wii is unprecedented and unpredictable. Eschewing the ruinously expensive hardware war, in which console manufacturers seek to out-muscle each other with ever more complex hardware, Nintendo has built its comparatively modest machine around a novelty controller: the Wii Remote, a wireless, motion-sensing device that can be used variously as a sword, tennis racket or fly swat, depending on the game.

This presents two huge problems. First, game publishers sell 90% of their products on the quality of the graphics. Boasts such as "intense next-gen visuals" and "awesome animation" are burned into the brains of marketers.

But Wii is challenging this approach. Screenshots of launch games like Call of Duty 3 and Excite Truck reveal jagged polygons and mediocre distance drawing.

Then there's the Wii Remote. On a practical level, this bizarre device requires developers to re-think the way games work, replacing button combinations with movements. But then there are the devastating psychosexual consequences.

The barbarians - and by this I mean women and older people - are at the gates, armed with Wii Remotes. My wife will figure out how to use this device as quickly as I do, because it does not rely on the spatially illogical mapping of actions on to small plastic buttons. For many men this is a terrifying, emasculating prospect.

If there's one thing western publishers are more scared of than women and old people, though, it's Nintendo. Companies are already grumbling about the decision to bundle the internally produced title Wii Sports with every console sold. The impact on sales of third-party launch games is likely to be significant.

Some, however, welcome the impeding chaos. Last week Laurent Detoc, president of Ubisoft's North American division, told Reuters that he believes Wii can help his company topple EA from its dominant position as king of publishers. This could be the first of several stalking horses.

An immense power vacuum is looming. Terror, catastrophe and motion-sensing gaming await.

CrackA
October 12th, 2006, 17:30
i disagree.

ICE
October 12th, 2006, 17:52
huh. i think this is the first negative report on the wii ever.

cyrien
October 12th, 2006, 18:40

Negative? I don't think it is negative unless you like stale gameplay with updated visuals?

All that is being said is that the Wii is disrupting the normal gaming culture and philosphy of prettier = better.

I can't talk about anyone else, but personally I was getting tired of the same controls over and over again in the same action/fps/rts games that kept coming out with only minor variations and updated graphics.

Long live Industry Disruption says I!

The gaming industry has been overdo for a major overhaul of how it does things for at least the past 2 or 3 years, maybe 5.

If a few eggs have to be broken in the process of getting me games I WANT to play... then so be it.

lexluthor
October 12th, 2006, 19:31

I dont think terms such as Mass Destruction and Blackhole where used in a negative light.

For example people describe the Punk movement as an explosion.. but they dont mean it in a bad way.

Adrenalin
October 13th, 2006, 14:53
I dont think terms such as Mass Destruction and Blackhole where used in a negative light.

For example people describe the Punk movement as an explosion.. but they dont mean it in a bad way.

nice analogy.

such a prediction is interesting though. we'll have to wait and see what really happens.