PDA

View Full Version : Red Steel: Hands-on

wraggster
October 13th, 2006, 15:33
Heres an excerpt

Red Steel, a Wii launch game, will be the first game to demonstrate how the controller can give FPS games a new sense of emersion. So it was with much excitement that CVG trekked to Paris to see how refined the controls are in the near-finished game.

For those of you who haven't been desperately following trade-show hands-on reports like a gaming hawk, Red Steel's control system is an interesting one, mixing gunplay and sword fighting to interesting effect.

In shooting stages, forwards, backwards and strafing movement is familiarly handled by the analogue stick on the Nunchuk expansion. However, unlike tradition FPS games, which have your gun's aim locked to the centre of the screen, Red Steel lets you use the Wii Remote's pointer functionality to aim anywhere on the screen you choose. An on-screen crosshair allows you to easily keep track of exactly where you're aiming, accurately tracking your every move. All you have to do is squeeze the B trigger on the underside of the Remote and shoot.

Full article (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=147543)

azz1844
October 14th, 2006, 00:30
This article says the sword movements are still pre-determined, albeit in accordance to the direction that you "slash" your Wii-mote.
I thought they were changing this so that the on-screen mimmicks your real-life movements? Did they find that this was too hard to implement? Have they still just not added the feature yet?
Anyone know??

stotheamuel
October 14th, 2006, 04:42
Damn... i didnt think it would be down to that.....

pre-determined :(

I guess there are to many animations and collision detection stuff if it was free and open... bah (idk)

Meekasko
October 15th, 2006, 10:58
Yea, I also thought they were changing the pre-determined sword actions.

It still sounds an incredible game though. I can't quite decide whether to get this on launch, or Zelda :confused:

dondonkat
October 16th, 2006, 20:26
I heard they have been concentrating on re-doing the sword fighting for the last few months. Nothing has been fully confirmed yet though... we'll have to wait and see how much they have changed it... if they have at all.

Still looks amazing though.