PDA

View Full Version : SnezziDS v0.28a - Snes Emulator for the DS

wraggster
October 13th, 2006, 16:43
Bubble2K (http://boards.pocketheaven.com/viewtopic.php?t=4787&start=0) has released a new version of his Snes emulator for the DS, heres whats new:

the nosound version to enable buttons.

reverts to original the SNES cycle timings used by v0.27 wip.

Download and Give Feedback/Compatibility Reports Via Comments

Cygoku
October 13th, 2006, 17:24
Few more tweaks and MMX will run #1!

Cygoku

ACID
October 13th, 2006, 18:24
Now this is sweet it works with SCLite and great work. Keep it up my friend you are giving the NDS extra life.

JKKDARK
October 13th, 2006, 19:16
Nice, a new version released :)

KeenCommander
October 13th, 2006, 19:59
Good, the previous .28 release was being really problematic for me. Hopefully this will fix stuff.

kcajblue
October 13th, 2006, 23:58
cool. another release. :D

Keile
October 14th, 2006, 00:35
Doesnt work on MMD. Hopefully they will make another version like they did with the other release.

Arimasen
October 14th, 2006, 03:23
With all these updates, you would think he could get this damn thing to work on the M3 SD...

Himura
October 14th, 2006, 04:52
INCREDIBLE! F-Zero is PERFECT with sound and all on my Supercard CF.

Bonic
October 14th, 2006, 05:35
I just gave Bubble2K a Max Media Fat, if he accepts it, we should have a MMD version :P

ACID
October 14th, 2006, 06:29
Thats what people dont realise the coders dont have all the cards available. If you guys consider that theres coders that are reall good to the nds seen then lets start a fun to get them one. Dont get me wrong i apreciate all the work all our members and none members do. But i dont apressiate when people get mad at a coder for not realising it in another card like MMD. Well instead of getting mad at the coder why dont they just say great work hopefully someone can make a version for this tipe of card.

Mikaa
October 14th, 2006, 13:22
Would it be possible to modify this emulator to run on Datel's Max Media Drive on the DS?

KeenCommander
October 14th, 2006, 17:04
With all these updates, you would think he could get this damn thing to work on the M3 SD...

It works fine on my M3 SD. What problem are you having?

kcajblue
October 14th, 2006, 18:11
he has the M3 Slim SD

Vortaka
October 14th, 2006, 20:10
Hi,

Well, I dunno but... I was on the octopus stage and I was fighting the under sea serpant (you know to get the enchantment or something) and it just... jumped to a "gained weapon" screen (and music). But, I haven't beaten anyone yet? Weird!

I'll be trying it out, as well as Chrono Trigger, and will give more infos as I have them... Love the emulator though! Snes in a pocket!

Vortaka

Vortaka
October 14th, 2006, 20:22
Hi again,

Well, first sound is a little chaotic (and seems to cut for no real reason) but I don't mind! I want to play! This time, I went up to the fair (after visiting Lucca's house). But, as I was exploring, I've decided to leave the fair and it crashed again (you know, black screen).

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that I use the sound version.

Continue the great work man!

Vortaka

kcajblue
October 14th, 2006, 20:24
Vortaka, dont double post. use the edit button

sonikku88
October 14th, 2006, 21:32
I just gave Bubble2K a Max Media Fat, if he accepts it, we should have a MMD version :P

Sweet! :D

oregono
October 15th, 2006, 21:06
keep up the g rat work. This is one of the most exciting projects for the ds.

DanTheManMS
October 15th, 2006, 21:06
Vortaka, try the no-sound version. It should be more stable and crash much less often. As you guys have noticed, the SPC sync seems to get screwed up very easily, causing games to crash. Bubble2k has mentioned that he will probably place the correction of the SPC sync issues on his high priority list for the next release.

Also keep in mind that there is a compatibility chart at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SnezziDS_Compatibility_List
It hasn't been updated yet for v0.28 (mostly since the main contributor can't access the wiki for some reason) but it's pretty extensive nonetheless.

Arimasen
October 16th, 2006, 13:57
he has the M3 Slim SD
No I have a MicroSD.

SuperJMN
October 17th, 2006, 17:48
Does it work with the M3 Lite? (Micro SD version)

bagofsnakes
October 17th, 2006, 23:49
poor compatibilty with m3 lite micro cd. 30% of the games i tried work well enough to be playable, and still the sprites are behind the backrounds sometimes.

Bonic
October 18th, 2006, 03:30
Man, I bet thats normal, the only Emu that I know that doesn't have the bug is SnesDS.....it sucks!....nah, not really

missingnoo
October 18th, 2006, 08:43
Whoa! Street Fighter 2 Turbo! Works GREAT!!@!@!
Great Emu! Keep up the good Work!

skipboris
October 19th, 2006, 00:00
I subscribed to these forums just so I could post here. This project is great and I hope it reaches completion. Keep up the good work, theres a lot of people watching its progress!

user6336
October 19th, 2006, 02:34
I subscribed to these forums just so I could post here. This project is great and I hope it reaches completion. Keep up the good work, theres a lot of people watching its progress!Yes! I can't wait for this project to be completed! It's great what it can do now, but hopefully you can get more compatiblity! :) Great job so far!

oregono
October 19th, 2006, 21:29
Works MUCH MUCH better than before. Super mario world (no sound) seems like its running 100%. Fantastic work! Keep it up.

I would like to request (if dev reads this) that using some emulators, when u press certain keys, you get a menu with save/cheat/display options) would be nice to have here (if possible). Unless im doinf something wrong, i cant find anything like tid (usually on the bottom screen vis touchscreen)

valo85
October 20th, 2006, 14:33
I've never looked into snes emulation on the DS until now and i've got to say i'm impressed :) All the games i've tried have worked near if not perfect :D

keep up the fantastic work :)

Category
October 20th, 2006, 15:28
I've had no luck with this on my GBAMP, but it's running in Dualis... Anyone else had this working with GBAMP?

Mourningstar
October 23rd, 2006, 23:23
Uh, how do I use this and where do the files go?

DanTheManMS
October 25th, 2006, 03:44
I would like to request (if dev reads this) that using some emulators, when u press certain keys, you get a menu with save/cheat/display options) would be nice to have here (if possible). Unless im doinf something wrong, i cant find anything like tid (usually on the bottom screen vis touchscreen)

Press L+R+Start to open the config menu, where you can configure the background settings. For SMW for instance, turn the Backdrop option to YES to fix the "black sky" problem. Most games are better with that option off though.

In any case, then visit http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SnezziDS_Compatibility_List for a chart with some already-tested background settings for many games. You can also press L+R+Select+Up to cycle through several good combinations that work for most games.

I've had no luck with this on my GBAMP, but it's running in Dualis.

Off-topic, but it works well in No$GBA as well (it's what the devs use for debugging the emulator)

pyro1588
October 25th, 2006, 14:33
Just tried it out and, I must say, I'm impressed. MMX works really well and FF5 works pretty well (barring some text errors.)
The spc emulation is really impressive. It's pretty accurate (esp. in MMX) and rarely skips.
Good job, guys!

nickmasterx
October 26th, 2006, 20:22
I've updated the Wiki page, (http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SnezziDS_Compatibility_List) using version .28a Supercard CF with:

Super Metroid- runs extremley well except text isn't visable with 222X, the best ingame setting. Use 221X to view text if you need to (just for when you get items and stuff)
Terranigma- Seems to run flawlessly, didn't playtest it all the way I just walked through the village
F-Zero- Near Perfect.

I also tested FFV and everything shows now, even the map screen and mode7 effects, but I could only get the text to work by opening and exiting the debug menu. So unless you wanna do that like everytime to read a message box... wait until an uppdate or FFVadvance or something.
Oh and I also tested Mario Kart but it still doesn't work.

PUTTPUTT
October 27th, 2006, 03:03
sorry if this been asked but is there a step by step how to install the game onto your supercard?

Category
October 27th, 2006, 14:20
I'm having even more trouble with this program now... Using the SnezziBoy builder, no matter what rom I build to a .nds it says "No patch data found, game may run slowly, if at all" - it won't build anything. Can't run anything on hardware or Dualis anymore, and even games that all you have working won't work on my setup or my emulators...

I think I'll stick with SNemulDS, even if it is soundless...

Shrygue
October 27th, 2006, 14:39
Hmm, this DS emulator sounds good. If it's fast, who would need a DS console then? Just run the emulator and run those game images off you PSP! Too bad the DS can't emulate the PSP! It loses big time when it comes to hombrew! :D

nickmasterx
October 28th, 2006, 03:31
sorry if this been asked but is there a step by step how to install the game onto your supercard?

Drag your snes rom onto snezzi.exe, and then you'll get a .ds.gba file. Rename it to .nds and then put it into your Supercard folder.

DanTheManMS
October 29th, 2006, 23:23
I'm having even more trouble with this program now... Using the SnezziBoy builder, no matter what rom I build to a .nds it says "No patch data found, game may run slowly, if at all" - it won't build anything. Can't run anything on hardware or Dualis anymore, and even games that all you have working won't work on my setup or my emulators...

I think I'll stick with SNemulDS, even if it is soundless...

Are you sure you downloaded SnezziDS and not Snezziboy? Also try renaming your rom so that it doesn't contain weird characters.

elmejordrummer
November 12th, 2006, 03:29
Thnks For Making Things ... Putting Effort Into It For Others I Whant To Play Snes On Ds F!@k Yeah ....... Thnx Again

lostgame
November 19th, 2006, 17:21
I may be willing to donate to see this on the MMD...

DanTheManMS
November 20th, 2006, 04:40
Getting it to work on the MMD would also make it work on the GBAMP. Unfortunately, it would require a major architecture change, as it's currently setup to read the files like a GBA would, requiring lightning-fast read times. The Supercard and M3 have RAM they can copy the game to that provides this, but the GBAMP and MMD are only Compact Flash adapters and would be too slow.

deadmike
November 26th, 2006, 23:23
Noob question, how do u use this.
I´m putting it on my Supercard SD, does it need to be CF or what ?

Do i just put the snezzi.nds on the SD card and go ?
When i start it, it just gets black and nothin happens.

Thank you

juicethehedgehog
December 3rd, 2006, 19:32
omg how on earth do you get this to work on CF?

DanTheManMS
December 4th, 2006, 06:18
Noob question, how do u use this.
I´m putting it on my Supercard SD, does it need to be CF or what ?

Do i just put the snezzi.nds on the SD card and go ?
When i start it, it just gets black and nothin happens.

Thank you

No, the snezzi.nds file is not supposed to be put on the card. Drag and drop your SNES game onto the included snezzi.exe file, which will combine your game with the snezzi.nds emulator core, creating a new file with the same name as your SNES rom file. Copy this file to your card and run it.

GleamingSands
December 18th, 2006, 20:16
Thats what people dont realise the coders dont have all the cards available. If you guys consider that theres coders that are reall good to the nds seen then lets start a fun to get them one. Dont get me wrong i apreciate all the work all our members and none members do. But i dont apressiate when people get mad at a coder for not realising it in another card like MMD. Well instead of getting mad at the coder why dont they just say great work hopefully someone can make a version for this tipe of card.
I have never seen as much incorrect spelling in my life as I have seen in acidburns post on page 2. Seriously, releasing, not realising, type, not tipe. I only pray that one of 2 things are going on in your head, that you are purposefully ****ing up the english language, or your under the age of 12. My bet is on the first answer!

P.s. He does have a point, but I have yet to see anyone get mad at the coders for this.

Trooper1
December 19th, 2006, 03:03
I have never seen as much incorrect spelling in my life as I have seen in acidburns post on page 2. Seriously, releasing, not realising, type, not tipe. I only pray that one of 2 things are going on in your head, that you are purposefully ****ing up the english language, or your under the age of 12. My bet is on the first answer!

P.s. He does have a point, but I have yet to see anyone get mad at the coders for this.

Had the thought ever occurred to you the op native tongue may not be english, C'mon, Give the guy a chance.

Btw, Great emulator, Just figuring out what layer each of the background options does.

GleamingSands
February 2nd, 2007, 17:19
No, the thought never did occur to me, as I am a total Jackass... seriously, what he said, great emulator.

stux
February 2nd, 2007, 22:39
Wow, this is great! So far I've been just trying metroid out. The JU rom works WITH sound, only at the intero atm, but its flawless so far! The E rom only runs if sound is off.

Great work man.

Mikaa
February 6th, 2007, 21:25
One of the biggest problems I have witnessed with posting emulators for the Nintendo DS is not only the fact that people mindlessly bash any project that does not support their card-type, but that the projects themselves rarely state what card type a given program can or cannot work with.

While I would be lying if I were to claim that I never got mad at someone for releasing an emulator that would not work with my card type (in my case, CF for the MMD), what really irritates me is when, given all the memory card types used in DS emulation, coders and project team members do not list what works and what does not.

Granted, not all programmers have the ability to try out all card types. I can accept this, but only to a point. Beta testing and general feedback on what works and does not work (preferably in a civilized tone) is a great way to go on this.

While I am at it, I should also like to point out that, while some of the people griping about their supported cart type being unsupported can be irritating and rude, it is equally rude for people to launch a collective attack against those that gripe. Rudeness to counter rudeness only leads to no solution.

Mikaa

skipboris
March 5th, 2007, 00:17
No, the snezzi.nds file is not supposed to be put on the card. Drag and drop your SNES game onto the included snezzi.exe file, which will combine your game with the snezzi.nds emulator core, creating a new file with the same name as your SNES rom file. Copy this file to your card and run it.

I use supercard lite. Using this method, how can you save your game? I loaded many rpgs but cannot seem to save. Is there something I'm missing?

Tegamal
March 5th, 2007, 01:25
Will this or any SNES Emulator work without a Slot 2 device?

I have an M3 Simply & a 2gig MicroSD card coming & I want to know everything I need to know.

DanTheManMS
March 5th, 2007, 04:28
I use supercard lite. Using this method, how can you save your game? I loaded many rpgs but cannot seem to save. Is there something I'm missing?

On Supercards, you need to use QPC saving to save. This is explained in detail at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Supercard#QPC_Saving

Will this or any SNES Emulator work without a Slot 2 device?

I have an M3 Simply & a 2gig MicroSD card coming & I want to know everything I need to know.

SnezziDS only runs on slot-2 devices because it runs like a GBA program would run, requiring GBA compatibility from the device.

SNES DS will run on a slot-1 card as long as you only use one rom at a time and it's small enough to fit into the DS's RAM. See my video tutorial at http://dannysied.googlepages.com/SNES_DS_tutorial.wmv
Note that I'm using the 11-27 version with the latest SuperDAT downloaded from the SNES Advance forums of http://boards.pocketheaven.com for best compatibility.

SNEmulDS would probably be your best bet right now. Just patch it with the M3 Simply DLDI file and load it onto your card, placing your SNES games in an "SNES" directory you create in the root of your card. Load SNEmulDS and choose which game to play. If the game runs too fast, set it to Wait Vblank, and if this causes it to slow down too much, fiddle with the speedhacks until it gets back up to 100%. A partial compatibility list can be found at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNEmulDS_Compatibility_List

With SNEmulDS, large roms are supported through the use of a paging system that loads 1-2 MB of the ROM into RAM as needed. This means that, for instance, the Donkey Kong Country games are playable when they normally wouldn't fit into the DS's RAM (though DKC2 has severe gameplay glitches). Chrono Trigger loads but is unplayable.

skipboris
March 5th, 2007, 07:19
On Supercards, you need to use QPC saving to save. This is explained in detail at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Supercard#QPC_Saving

SnezziDS only runs on slot-2 devices because it runs like a GBA program would run, requiring GBA compatibility from the device.

SNES DS will run on a slot-1 card as long as you only use one rom at a time and it's small enough to fit into the DS's RAM. See my video tutorial at http://dannysied.googlepages.com/SNES_DS_tutorial.wmv
Note that I'm using the 11-27 version with the latest SuperDAT downloaded from the SNES Advance forums of http://boards.pocketheaven.com for best compatibility.

SNEmulDS would probably be your best bet right now. Just patch it with the M3 Simply DLDI file and load it onto your card, placing your SNES games in an "SNES" directory you create in the root of your card. Load SNEmulDS and choose which game to play. If the game runs too fast, set it to Wait Vblank, and if this causes it to slow down too much, fiddle with the speedhacks until it gets back up to 100%. A partial compatibility list can be found at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNEmulDS_Compatibility_List

With SNEmulDS, large roms are supported through the use of a paging system that loads 1-2 MB of the ROM into RAM as needed. This means that, for instance, the Donkey Kong Country games are playable when they normally wouldn't fit into the DS's RAM (though DKC2 has severe gameplay glitches). Chrono Trigger loads but is unplayable.

Very helpful....thanks!

Tegamal
March 5th, 2007, 13:29
That was incredibly helpful, Dan!

Thank you very much!

xdre3
March 9th, 2007, 03:30
Does it work on EZ flash IV? Because SneMulDS freezes on the initializing screen.

robotdevil
June 19th, 2007, 21:12
Anyone else find it ironic that it's easier to code a SNES emulator for a Sony handheld than for a Nintendo one? Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Seriously though, nice to see a homebrew community still active for the DS. Keep it up.

DanTheManMS
June 19th, 2007, 23:01
The PSP has an architecture that is more forgiving to ports of PC emulators. The DS architecture is more different. Well okay, I don't know this for a fact, but I thought it was true.

I do know that the DS's processing speed prevents SNES emulators from working the same on the two systems. The PSP emulators run like PC ones do, computing everything in software and then displaying the output to the screen, which is why frameskip helps, as a significant portion of time is spent drawing to the screen. The SNES emulators for the DS take advantage of the fact that the SNES and the DS are fairly similar, so they use the DS's 2D hardware to speed things up. This creates graphical oddities, and it requires users to manually specify layer priorities, but it makes things much faster. It also makes frameskip pointless, as less than 5% of the CPU time is spent drawing the screen. If the DS was to do a complete software renderer like the ones for the PSP, it would not achieve fullspeed, at least not with a very significant frameskip.

`The0n3
June 20th, 2007, 19:18
Pwned

thegrimreaper
March 13th, 2008, 21:53
sorry i cant run this emul on my ds some one help me i have R4 REVOLETION Card

ChaoticanarchyX
March 14th, 2008, 00:01
I have a an R4 and use the latest version of Snesemul and it works perfect for me. Have you tried the DLDIirc program? That seems to cure all my problems for DLDI applications and stuff.

DanTheManMS
March 14th, 2008, 00:13

^

Chri5
March 14th, 2008, 00:40
my virus scanner just blocked a trojan that was in the file download so be careful

DanTheManMS
March 14th, 2008, 02:51
Probably a false positive, but thanks for the warning nonetheless.

ShaftedBoy
March 16th, 2008, 22:56
I can't seem to run this either (M3 Real bundle).

Made a new file by dragging the .smc file into the .exe file, but whenever I try and load the "Game.smc.nds" and it says on the bottom screen "DLSI Compatible Loading" and nothing else.

What's wrong?

DanTheManMS
March 17th, 2008, 03:15

^

You could run it from the 3in1 by flashing it to NOR and using a slot-1 as a NoPass, but I do not believe something of this sort is possible with the M3 Real expansion pack.

thetorsoboy
August 6th, 2008, 19:24
I'm running it on the R4DS, and I have a question or two.

Firstly, should I patch it? Just curious. Secondly, I'm trying to load it, and it's loading, but taking a really long time, about 10 minutes so far and not even halfway.

Also, in the contents of the download, what do I need to put on my R4? In the "sound" folder, there's the .nds which I put on, but the .exe file won't transfer, or even open. What's up with that?

Sir_Voe
August 6th, 2008, 20:13
I'm running it on the R4DS, and I have a question or two.

Firstly, should I patch it? Just curious. Secondly, I'm trying to load it, and it's loading, but taking a really long time, about 10 minutes so far and not even halfway.

Also, in the contents of the download, what do I need to put on my R4? In the "sound" folder, there's the .nds which I put on, but the .exe file won't transfer, or even open. What's up with that?

This emu will not work on slot1 cards. I reccomend using SNEmulDS instead:
www.snemul.com/ds

thetorsoboy
August 6th, 2008, 21:02
Ah, thanks. I figured that.

Also, what screen settings would you suggest? There's a bunch of things that mess with the screen, and I'm not sure what to choose.

DanTheManMS
August 6th, 2008, 22:58
The PocketHeaven Wiki entry on SNEmulDS has a good walkthrough of the graphics settings. It's for an older version which has a completely different GUI, but it should still be helpful. The ReadMe is also a good source.

phiitboi
August 21st, 2008, 14:06
yup wont start at all

(m3real)

tperry
September 27th, 2008, 09:34
The zip file above contains a trojan Agent 2502 virus. Doesn't affect me as I am on a mac, but thought I would let you all know :)

DanTheManMS
October 5th, 2008, 02:58
It's a false positive. My antivirus goes crazy with the dozens of snezzi.exe files I have on my hard drive, but it's nothing to worry about.

Stash23
October 7th, 2008, 06:20
Achieve file is corrupted... I can't extract anything.

Timza
October 7th, 2008, 13:50
i downloaded this and found 3 trojan horses

DanTheManMS
October 8th, 2008, 01:39
Again, I'm pretty sure it's a false positive. There's no reason for bubble2k or gladius to infect our computers, and my antivirus didn't flag the files until long after they were first released. I trust the developers.

Viteh
October 9th, 2008, 05:29

nice

have u gotten rom hacks to run on Snes DS?

SNEmulDS doesnt seem to like them

DanTheManMS
October 10th, 2008, 20:39
I actually haven't tried any rom hacks in any emulator, sorry.

If you wish to try it out, since the tools necessary to build an SNES DS compilation have been removed from the site, use my mirror copy at http://danthemanms.googlepages.com/nesDS_snesDS_slot1_usage.zip

Instructions are provided in the readme.txt file. Just keep in mind that if you're on a slot-1 device, the total compilation must be under 4 MB for it to run.

giga bowser
December 30th, 2008, 10:52
My computer says the file is infected well I don't know has anyone here had any problems? please let me know I don't want my cyclods to be ruined

Smurph
December 30th, 2008, 16:02
nevermind

giga bowser
January 24th, 2009, 16:24
well the problem with snemulds is that it can't run star ocean,mario rpg,mr nuts and many others as well
I tried to run snezzids but don't know how maybe theirs a prob with that fake tojan?

crookedmouth
January 24th, 2009, 19:27
well the problem with snemulds is that it can't run star ocean,mario rpg,mr nuts and many others as well
I tried to run snezzids but don't know how maybe theirs a prob with that fake tojan?

SnezziDS doesn't work on Slot 1 devices, so if you are trying on a slot 1 device then.... Those games you mentioned don't work in SnezziDS anyway. They had custom chips inside the cartridge with the DS doesn't emulate.

SNES DS and SNEmulDS are it for slot one snes emulators.

MikanPachi
March 5th, 2009, 01:48
When I tried downloading this, my virus protection said it contained a trojin. Did anyone else's protection alert them?

EDIT: I downloaded it and when I try to extract, the files in the "Sound" folder get quarenteened by my security. Is there an alternitive SNES emulator for the DS that works just as good?

EDIT #2: Scratch that, it's both of the .exe files that keep getting detected.

crookedmouth
March 5th, 2009, 02:35
When I tried downloading this, my virus protection said it contained a trojin. Did anyone else's protection alert them?

EDIT: I downloaded it and when I try to extract, the files in the "Sound" folder get quarenteened by my security. Is there an alternitive SNES emulator for the DS that works just as good?

EDIT #2: Scratch that, it's both of the .exe files that keep getting detected.

Those are false positives. Either way I think SNEmulDS and SNESDS are more suited for the DS.

SNEmulDS, probably the most polished
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76414

SNESds, good speed and decent compatibility.
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66155

ryanwatt2
June 18th, 2009, 20:36
taking my ds a long time to load this

DanTheManMS
June 20th, 2009, 06:58
If you've got a slot-1 device, then that's why. This program only runs on slot-2 devices with GBA compatibility, even though it is a DS emulator. There is no way to get around this issue.