PDA

View Full Version : A call for Artist & Coders!!

PSmonkey
October 13th, 2006, 18:48
Hellow All!! Yes monkey boy is still alive and good (job rocks btw).

Anyways I am currently seeking artist & coders who would be interested in developing some advance homebrew games for the psp. I will not be directly programming anything. I will only be overseeing the projects.

There are two posible games I am considering, A tactical RPG (2d/3d hybrid with physics) and the other a 3D game.

Here is what I am looking for. If you are interested please contact me via PM or this topic. Please give all references that you can (ex, artist give sample art, coders give sample code).

What I am looking for.

Tactical RPG
- 2D Sprite Artist
- 2D Texture artist
- 3D Eviroment Modlers
- C or C++ Coders

3D Game
- 3D Character Modlers
- 3D Animators
- 3D Map makers (Proficient in Q3 Mapping a plus)
- 2D Text Artist
- C or C++ Coders

Neither project will progress with out sufficent staff. As well I request people apply to one only and not both.

bronxbomber92
October 14th, 2006, 00:21
How much experiance is needed for the RPG? As I don't want to apply for a project I am not suited for.

PSPdemon
October 14th, 2006, 00:30
you got my attention :D.... ive accualy wanted to do somthing like what your talking about... so i dont mind taking a break from stuff :)

ill be heavily considering what one i would do....and then pm you with my decission...and see if you would like me to join in ( :D )

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

Produkt
October 14th, 2006, 00:31
monkey man like I told ya "when ever you call me I'll be there, when ever you need me I'll be there" :P

zeldadog
October 14th, 2006, 00:50
Count me in! I can do 3D modelling for you. I don't have great amounts of time right now, but I have a little here and there.

Ref Links (all work is 3D assets made by me in Lightwave 8.0)
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ZELDAdog/ROV_08.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ZELDAdog/ControlPose.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ZELDAdog/ROV_04.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ZELDAdog/PencilCup.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ZELDAdog/23d43acb.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ZELDAdog/Larra_Render_02.jpg

I can do high poly work, and I'm doing my best to do low poly work. I've lost my machine that I did my lightwave work on, so I'm downgraded to learning to use Blender on my MacBook. If I could get ahold of an XP install disc, I could go back to Lightwave...(I wish...)

I'll have limited time for now to work, but i can do models and a little bit of texture work. I hope to be doing this for a living soon, so you can expect high quality. I just need some concept art, what you want, and I'll tell you if and when I can deliver what you need.
Sounds like fun stuff though, can't wait to start :D

PSmonkey
October 14th, 2006, 02:33
How much experiance is needed for the RPG? As I don't want to apply for a project I am not suited for.

Are you proficient in C or C++. Do you have a good understanding of Trig & Algebra?

the RPG code wise will be a bit simpler. There will be some high level stuff done with physics but most of that will be wrapped up in the engine.

PSmonkey
October 14th, 2006, 02:33
Count me in! I can do 3D modelling for you. I don't have great amounts of time right now, but I have a little here and there.

Ref Links (all work is 3D assets made by me in Lightwave 8.0)
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ZELDAdog/ROV_08.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ZELDAdog/ControlPose.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ZELDAdog/ROV_04.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ZELDAdog/PencilCup.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ZELDAdog/23d43acb.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/ZELDAdog/Larra_Render_02.jpg

I can do high poly work, and I'm doing my best to do low poly work. I've lost my machine that I did my lightwave work on, so I'm downgraded to learning to use Blender on my MacBook. If I could get ahold of an XP install disc, I could go back to Lightwave...(I wish...)

I'll have limited time for now to work, but i can do models and a little bit of texture work. I hope to be doing this for a living soon, so you can expect high quality. I just need some concept art, what you want, and I'll tell you if and when I can deliver what you need.
Sounds like fun stuff though, can't wait to start :D

Can you work in max?

dagger89
October 14th, 2006, 02:38
I understand advanced trig and algebra... but i just picked up a C book, so I doubt I could help...

zeldadog
October 14th, 2006, 03:51
Can you work in max?
I've wanted to give max a go for quite a while really. My only limiting factor is that I lack software. I'll do what I can to get my hands on max...is there a chance i can run across a student license?
I'll do my research too...but yes, i am pretty sure I can do work in max. So long as its UI isn't as jumbled as maya. Blender really isn't that nice to use either.
Why oh why did I lose my XP install disc? Macs aren't friendly for much of anything...except video editing...I like FinalCut (offtopic)

bronxbomber92
October 14th, 2006, 05:01
Are you proficient in C or C++. Do you have a good understanding of Trig & Algebra?

the RPG code wise will be a bit simpler. There will be some high level stuff done with physics but most of that will be wrapped up in the engine.
I know c/c++ pretty well. As for trig and algebra, I haven't had much experiance, but I have done a scarce amount of study in school. But I am definately willing todo a couple hours of reading :)... So I guess you can decide whether I'm sufficient enough, or not ;)

PSmonkey
October 14th, 2006, 07:46
I know c/c++ pretty well. As for trig and algebra, I haven't had much experiance, but I have done a scarce amount of study in school. But I am definately willing todo a couple hours of reading :)... So I guess you can decide whether I'm sufficient enough, or not ;)

Please PM me some code snipits accomplishing thies three things (they might see simple but they prove knollage of specific things to me).

1) A function that returns a boolean if bit X is on or off in value Y. Please make the input be U32 (Unsigned int).

2) Make a function that accepts a string (which is the full path to a file) and will change it's file extension for a suplied one (example, will change BobCat.bmp for BobCat.tga). It must work in all cases

3) Write an optimised function that gives the dot product of 2 floating point vectors (x,y,z).

PSmonkey
October 14th, 2006, 07:47
I've wanted to give max a go for quite a while really. My only limiting factor is that I lack software. I'll do what I can to get my hands on max...is there a chance i can run across a student license?
I'll do my research too...but yes, i am pretty sure I can do work in max. So long as its UI isn't as jumbled as maya. Blender really isn't that nice to use either.
Why oh why did I lose my XP install disc? Macs aren't friendly for much of anything...except video editing...I like FinalCut (offtopic)

Hmm. This might be an issue. Produkt, Any sudgestions (since he is on a mac)?

PSPKOR
October 14th, 2006, 12:15
I would like to help, but at the moment i dont think I could do mutch, as I know Lua and basic art stuff, apart from BETA test.

But soon hopefully I could because I'm learning C at collage and have a good understanding in Trig & Algebra as I'm an engineer, so I have to know it.

So what I'm saying is if the posts are open later on I would be more than happy to help.

-Edit-
Is the 3D game going to be Iris?

S34MU5
October 14th, 2006, 14:17
hey monkey.
i can BETA test for you.
and maybe do some GFX

PSmonkey
October 14th, 2006, 17:28
I would like to help, but at the moment i dont think I could do mutch, as I know Lua and basic art stuff, apart from BETA test.

But soon hopefully I could because I'm learning C at collage and have a good understanding in Trig & Algebra as I'm an engineer, so I have to know it.

So what I'm saying is if the posts are open later on I would be more than happy to help.

-Edit-
Is the 3D game going to be Iris?

No word yet on what the 3d game is. it's dependant on how much staff I get and what they wish to do.

Also please do get back to me. :) Doing a project like this while you learn at university/college will help you emencly (specialy if you in the future wish to have a job in the industry).

wraggster
October 14th, 2006, 18:10
right now i remember why i redid the forums ;)

just let me fix the PSP news grab and itll show up automatically.

Xiro
October 14th, 2006, 18:31
Monkey, is there any chance that the 3d project can be a continuation of the unfinished paintball shooter which you started?

yaustar
October 14th, 2006, 18:59
IIRC Blender and now an older version of Bryce are free for 3D modelling.

Accordion
October 14th, 2006, 19:02
also a 30 day free trial of 3ds max from the official website...

i suggest a 30 day psmonkey compo...

doverkiller
October 14th, 2006, 19:24
sound fx?
music?

porchemasi
October 14th, 2006, 19:28
It would be kool if sumone made a port of RPG MAKER 2000 that compiles an EBOOT friendy version ........

Vega
October 14th, 2006, 19:46
I cant do much but Beta test for you.
Send me a PM if you want my assistance.

BlackJack23
October 14th, 2006, 19:50
Monkey I don't have much experience on the coding side of things yet I have enough knowledge to understand simple syntax.

However I'm not offering my coding skills. I would like to offer my writing skills. I don't know if you already have a writer for the RPG or have a general story so far but I feel I could craft a competent story-line if I were on the team.

PM or Email me:
-- rm to save the sanity of your inbox --

PSmonkey
October 14th, 2006, 20:07
Guy, Small notice.

1) I dont need testers. I will make a request for testers once a prototype is built. Untill then there is no need.

2) Please don't spam this topic with request for other games or type. The desision of what the games are will be in the hands of what the team wishes to accomplish.

Monkey I don't have much experience on the coding side of things yet I have enough knowledge to understand simple syntax.

However I'm not offering my coding skills. I would like to offer my writing skills. I don't know if you already have a writer for the RPG or have a general story so far but I feel I could craft a competent story-line if I were on the team.

PM or Email me:
--

I might use your assistance on the rpg once a prototype is finished.

Emeriastone
October 14th, 2006, 20:41
PSMonkey: I am college student currently studying art. I am aware that you are not in need of a conceptual artist, but I would be more than happy to work with you and help with the development of ideas, scenarios and character concievement. If you want my help I am willing and ready. PM me for for information. Thanks.

10shu
October 14th, 2006, 21:50

Lightwave is a bit postdated by today standart...sure it take a little wile to get use to max, maya or XSI UI but once you start to learn it. it is really cool to use much better than lightwave (i use to lightwave on amiga before).

sroon
October 14th, 2006, 21:50
hey psMonkey if makeing the levels is like iris then you can give me a try at it. im not that epereanced with it buuuut i still like build iris levels for my buddies at home. well PM me if you wish bro ( O ) ( O )

ExcruciationX
October 15th, 2006, 00:22
I wish I had more time these days, I've been busy with school. If I did, I'd love to be the text artist.

moveit124
October 15th, 2006, 02:59
i could work on 2d art for the 2d game... i can make scenery and buildings and stuff quite well... although cannot make any people/monsters or whatever... umm am also willing to learn how to do 3D art... i have been wanting too... am very fast at learning things with the PC and if wanted... i could start learning 3D art... if so... just tell me which program and ill get right on it ^^... (learned photoshop in about a week maybe 2...)

StoneCut
October 15th, 2006, 04:14
Um, I think both projects lack two very important positions:

* Sound FX designer
* Soundtrack Composers and Artists

You guessed right, I'm quite good for second new position ;)

V3N0M
October 15th, 2006, 04:47
I may be of some help. But i gotta tell you, I might be learning more than i would be helping. I have been taking a course in programming. And am currentaly in Algebra 2. And have been learning mainly Visual Basic and C to C++. And i have been doing really good seeing as i have only been taking the course for a few monthes now. But i'm not sure how much help i could be. I'm pretty sure i could write you those code snipits. As i understand what your asking. I guess i'm kind of on the fence of whether or not i could be of help and if i'm really ready to help. The expierence would be a bonus, but the speed of the project is a priority. Well what do you think PSmonkey? Am i ready? Oh and if you could tell me what software i would need to fimilarize myself with? That would help alot to. Thanx and its good to hear from you.

PSmonkey
October 15th, 2006, 05:36
i could work on 2d art for the 2d game... i can make scenery and buildings and stuff quite well... although cannot make any people/monsters or whatever... umm am also willing to learn how to do 3D art... i have been wanting too... am very fast at learning things with the PC and if wanted... i could start learning 3D art... if so... just tell me which program and ill get right on it ^^... (learned photoshop in about a week maybe 2...)

Please PM me some of your work so I can see.

XioN980
October 15th, 2006, 05:40
I can do Blender3D and Swift3D modelling

V3N0M
October 15th, 2006, 06:06
Oh and if i'm not up to the coding yet. I can help with 2D Art and am intrested in learning 3D. And with the help of everyone on the project i think this could be some valuable expierence for a new coder (Me). Because i was planning on starting a few projects. But i'd MUCH rather get some expierence working with a team. Helping me to become a well rounded coder and graphix design person. But i want to take it one thing at a time. No rushing. I'm really dedicated to learning all that i can. In the end i hope to be very good with Visual Basic, C to C++, Graphix design, and even plan on teaching myself LUA. Just tell me what programs i would need for this project and i'll get them tonight. Right now i'd feel a little better working on the 2D art for now. And maby progress to something else later if needed. Because i just don't know if i'm up to it coding wise. Well i'll let you think it over PSmonkey, just tell me what to do and i'll get on it. Thanx for everything.

moveit124
October 15th, 2006, 10:03
hey psmonkey ... question for ya... by 2d art... do you mean... like looking above at flat rooftops... or looking at a fixed camera angel from the side so it looks 3d but it really isnt... (zelda for looking above) ...

yaustar
October 15th, 2006, 13:38
2D art = Pixel art normally. So it can mean, isometric top down, side view.

moveit124
October 15th, 2006, 14:02
well i can make 2d art.... its 2d... but it looks 3d.... the camera will be at a 45 degree angle or so... looking from the side... i just would like to know which he wants... for 2d art... wish he would get back to me soon so i can make some samples o.o...

Accordion
October 15th, 2006, 14:27
i think psmonkey would prefer some of your current portfolio, to see what you are used to ...

and no human can learn photoshop in 2 weeks, its just not possible, the program has so many complex levels its likely you may never even see some of its functions. ive been using it for 2 years and only have a limited understanding. of course it depends on the functions a user wishes to get out of it.

PSmonkey
October 15th, 2006, 17:36
Yes that is right. I am looking for previous work, not new work twards the project. This will give me a feel for what you can do.

Accordion
October 15th, 2006, 20:10
just wondering on the descision for physics in a tactical rpg? is it necessary? or a secret?

Yessy2952
October 15th, 2006, 20:49
PSmonkey I could help but I do not code. I do not to 2d or 3d models.

I have a white 1.5 psp. So if you ever need any help at all with beta testing or so. I will be gld to help you out.

Also Damn... pm does not work for me because I am new probably but I wish I could talk to you on msn or aim that is if you have it.

Well yeah good work

Accordion
October 15th, 2006, 22:15
PSmonkey I could help but I do not code. I do not to 2d or 3d models.

I have a white 1.5 psp. So if you ever need any help at all with beta testing or so. I will be gld to help you out.

Also Damn... pm does not work for me because I am new probably but I wish I could talk to you on msn or aim that is if you have it.

Well yeah good work

as psmonkey has already stated:

Guy, Small notice.

1) I dont need testers. I will make a request for testers once a prototype is built. Untill then there is no need.

2) Please don't spam this topic with request for other games or type. The desision of what the games are will be in the hands of what the team wishes to accomplish.

I might use your assistance on the rpg once a prototype is finished.

moveit124
October 15th, 2006, 22:36
well as i said.. my computer crashed and all of it is gone... so i have a lil problem producing a portfolio... but ill make a few buildings and what not... and give em to you tomorrow psmonkey

The King
October 16th, 2006, 19:58
hey

idapimp
October 16th, 2006, 20:13
did you get my PM monkey?

MonoLoco
October 18th, 2006, 04:20
Please PM me some code snipits accomplishing thies three things (they might see simple but they prove knollage of specific things to me).

1) A function that returns a boolean if bit X is on or off in value Y. Please make the input be U32 (Unsigned int).

2) Make a function that accepts a string (which is the full path to a file) and will change it's file extension for a suplied one (example, will change BobCat.bmp for BobCat.tga). It must work in all cases

3) Write an optimised function that gives the dot product of 2 floating point vectors (x,y,z).

Haha, well, looks like this isn't for me then. I could accomplish them I'm sure, but I'd have to look up quite a bit, so I'd just end up slowing everybody down.

sg57
October 20th, 2006, 02:36
Im pretty good at PSPGL... A sample of my work:

3D Flag blowing in the wind
(http://www.sendspace.com/file/bt21ve)
If you want the source, ill be happy to supply it to you. It shouldnt be too hard to apply PSPGL knowledge to GU... This will use GU right?

If you need to see more or want me to create something as a test, just ask ill give it my best :o

PSmonkey
October 20th, 2006, 07:21
To all waiting on replies (there are like 2-4 of you). Sorry worrk is keeping me busy this week. I will get cought up this weekend to get people in order. :)

jman420
October 25th, 2006, 20:13
I would be interested in working on some simple 3D models for environment, if your still looking for a 3D modeler. I work in 3DS Max, and can probobly export to a usable file format..

Edit: However, I would require some concept art, I can make my own designs, but the problem is, I dont know what you would be looking for... The last RPG project I worked on for 3D was very difficult to make 3D models for, as there was no concept..

jeffro11
November 2nd, 2006, 00:05
i can help with 3d models and levels

i work with WorldEdit/Dedit, 3dsmax, Milkshape, Radiant (sorta hehe)

portfolio: http://onesmaps.fearmaps.com/

mesosade
November 2nd, 2006, 10:11
i'm a pro resource manager you need it? i can find it! i know where everything and anythings is. from sprites to textures to music anything u want!

TNR360
November 12th, 2006, 06:07
I was a noob mapping here but I'm a hell of alot better and I'd like to volunteer

here's a picture of my latest project:

Ramelle--- Based on Saving Private Ryan
There's about 18+ buildings all which you can enter
Newer shots
http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newramellegr6.jpg
http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newramelle2po7.jpg
whats above is 2 months of work in prgress

OLDER SHOTS

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newestpn3.jpg
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/1.8c1.th.JPG (http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=1.8c1.JPG)
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/2.ea0.th.JPG (http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=2.ea0.JPG)
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/3.673.th.JPG (http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=3.673.JPG)
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/4.478.th.JPG (http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=4.478.JPG)
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/5.27a.th.JPG (http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=5.27a.JPG)

PS: it's a team objective map for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Am I in? :) :confused:
My weakness in mapping- VIS

TNR360
November 13th, 2006, 02:35
yes... no... maybe?

PSmonkey
November 15th, 2006, 06:16
sorry guys. Little busy with work but things are progressing forward.

The RPG Game might make a change and will stay a small team (like 2-3 guys). More gonna be me working with a few coders to advance their level.

The other project is stacking up some serious tallent. Due to agreements with in the team I will not publicly discuss the project or who is on it till something is running. Lets just say tho at the moment it's got some people who really know what they are doing.

BENT1o
November 28th, 2006, 00:07
hey i know nothing about 3d modeling but if you need an artist in the drawing sense i am more than capable to help out with charecter designs and things like that level designs. basicaly anything that you need on paper. and would love to be a part of this project

S34MU5
November 28th, 2006, 11:11
I can help with:

- 2D Sprite Artist
- 2D Texture artist
- 2D Text Artist

If you still need it?

HardHat
November 30th, 2006, 22:54
hey i know nothing about 3d modeling but if you need an artist in the drawing sense i am more than capable to help out with charecter designs and things like that level designs. basicaly anything that you need on paper. and would love to be a part of this project

It would be helpful if you pointed us to some samples of your work, to evaulate your artistic style. Maybe post them to flickr or imageshack.

TNR360
December 9th, 2006, 00:12
I get a little better every time:)

Here's more pics

(still a lot of screwed up stuff)
Screen 1

http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newestramelle1cp8.jpg

Screen 2

http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newestramelle2eg0.jpg

Screen 3

http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newestramelle3tv8.jpg

Screen 4

http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newestramelle4vd1.jpg

Screen 5

http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newestramelle5ym9.jpg

Cetra
December 11th, 2006, 21:59
Hi, obviously I'm new to the forums. But without posting I have lurked for a long time checking out the opinions of members and the news posted on the main page(mostly for psp). When I saw that PSmonkey was calling for artists and coders I felt a little tingle on the back of my neck and a flutter in my stomach as this is something I have always wanted to do. I cannot do anything digital per say but I have artistic ability on paper. I don't know if my style would be usefull to your project, that is up to you all to decide. So I offer my services to you in anyway that I can.

Here are links to two drawings I did to showcase myself to you specifically. I have more works at home, unfortunately, I do not have access to them currently because I am away at college. However, in a week's time when I go home, I will be able to post some older material. I am also working on a couple of other drawings to show you all.

http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1001117co3.jpg

http://img490.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1001118re6.jpg

TNR360
January 11th, 2007, 04:32
Screen1
http://i84.imagethrust.com/images/2vJK/view-image/ramelle-1.html
Screen2
http://i83.imagethrust.com/images/2vJL/view-image/ramelle-2.html
Screen3
http://i84.imagethrust.com/images/2vJM/view-image/ramelle-3.html
Screen4
http://i83.imagethrust.com/images/2vJN/view-image/ramelle-4.html
Screen5
http://i84.imagethrust.com/images/2vJO/view-image/ramelle-5.html
Screen6
http://i83.imagethrust.com/images/2vJP/view-image/ramelle-6.html
Screen7
http://i84.imagethrust.com/images/2w85/view-image/ramelle-7.html
Screen8
http://i83.imagethrust.com/images/2vJR/view-image/ramelle-8.html
Screen9
http://i84.imagethrust.com/images/2vJS/view-image/ramelle-9.html

Paiku
April 19th, 2007, 21:34
Hi there PSmonkey,

It would be an honor to help out as a 2d sprite artist and/or cell animation, art director. Since Wandria got cancelled I feel desperate to get back to work on something new.
I have quite a few samples if you're interested.

Cheers
Tim

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/hero.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/flower_women.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/gambler.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/flowerss.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/kid.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/cleaning1.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/girl.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/main2down.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/mana.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/olldo.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/dogright.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/sword.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/sleep1.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/skjhska.gifhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/guyy.gif

yaustar
April 19th, 2007, 23:50
Unfortunately, I believe both projects are on 'halt' at the moment. Out of interest, how good are you at drawing side scrolling space like shooters? I may be looking for one "soon" (in relative terms to me) or I can forward you to someone who is.

Paiku
April 20th, 2007, 00:28
Out of interest, how good are you at drawing side scrolling space like shooters? I may be looking for one "soon" (in relative terms to me) or I can forward you to someone who is.

Love Shumps.

Anyway, I guess I'm quite all around when it comes to 2d gfx making. So I'd love to supply with gfx for a shooter.. heh or anything, except fps:p

pm or contact/add [email protected] if so.

Edit: just made an airship sample http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/down_player.gif