PDA

View Full Version : The State Of Wii Preorders

wraggster
October 13th, 2006, 19:20
1up has a hilarious article up looking at the state of Wii Preorders across the U.S.. Despite the fact that preorders began (and likely ended) this morning at EBs and Gamestops across the country, the employees of the megalithic game store were less than fully prepared. From the article:
"WEST VIRGINIA: GameStop #1330: 'We don't know. I mean, we're gonna be doing reserves. We're just waiting for them to tell us we can.' WISCONSIN: EB Games #4626: 'It looks more like we'll just sell that one. Because there will be 2 to 4 million units available on launch day, and EB/GameStop will be getting 70% of them that first come first serve would be doable. Even a smaller store like ours could be getting upwards of 50 units day one.' WYOMING: EB Games #4294: 'Any day now, man. Any day now.'"

gotmilk0112
October 13th, 2006, 20:03
this is GAY!! when i went there to my local gamestop RIGHT AFTER SCHOOL the guy there said all preorders / reserves were sold out!!! and i live in cranston, where everyone is obsessed with ps3 not wii! this still sucks that i cant reserve one...... i wonder if they have a certain amount of reservable ones and a certain amount of non-reservable ones. so that you can actually get one if you didnt get to reserve it. if not, then im screwed and will have to wait 3-4 months after launch to get one :mad: because i live right near a game-stop and if they will be open till midnight on nov 18 then i can ask my mom to drive me there at like 10:00 and wait till midnight and get one. even if they ARENT open till midnight i can just get up early the next morning and walk there. :)

assclown1
October 13th, 2006, 21:48
Not to sound like an ass, gotmillk0112, but sucks to be you. I reserved mine this morning at GameStop. I ditched my first class this morning and got to the shop at about 7:45am and waited in line until 10am. I was number 5 in line. At 10 they let us in and the cashier let us know that he was only taking 14 reservations. So he counted down the line and when he reached 14 about 5 people couldn't get one. He then let them know to get their asses down to the mall a few miles away because they had about 28 reservations to give. After that he gave us a list with all the accessories and games coming out so we could look it over and see what we wanted reserved. He said there might be a short supply of controllers so to reserve a set just in case there isn't enough on launch day. He also let us know of a 2000 pt card for 20 bucks. My reservation total was 90 dollars:

50 for the wii
10 for an extra wii-mote
10 for an extra nunchuck
10 for the 2000 pt card
5 for zelda
5 for red steel

And he said that the store might have a wii-launch party on the Saturday before the launch day, for the people that reserved, but details had to be worked out with upper management.

brainpan
October 13th, 2006, 23:11
I got up ths morning around 9:00, drove the GameStop and saw about 30 people waiting for the store to open. I stood in line for a minute but then decided to try the EB in the mall. There were 3 people waiting but I managed to be number 2 for a Wii preorder. Talk about getting lucky.

Knux896
October 14th, 2006, 00:10
The EB Games by me had 36 preorders and I was 35th in line. Anyone that wasn't at a store in the morning really didn't stand a chance (sad but true:( ) since the store sold out before the line was finished. About 8 people were turned away at the gates at that one EB Games alone. With the huge supply Wii's compared to PS3's there is still a good chance for those without preorders to get Wii's on launch day (they just have to get up REALLY early).

gotmilk0112
October 14th, 2006, 02:01
i wish i could've ditched school but i couldnt because my MOM WOULD KILL ME 5 TIMES!!! if i ditched school i would get grounded for like 5 months so i guess im screwd and have to wait like 5 months after launch to get one >_>

jstush04
October 14th, 2006, 02:37
i guess i'm not a true gamer, but i see no reason why i cant wait 2 months after launch or whatever to get a wii when i've already been waiting 20 years for it to come out :-P

but honestly, i can be patient and it doesnt make much of a difference, right?

brainpan
October 14th, 2006, 04:13
Honestly, I dont think anyone has any reason to worry about NOT getting a Wii. With the allocated amount available at launch and the fact that Wii production is going better than expected, I am sure supply will meet demand.

Gredler
October 14th, 2006, 08:01
Nintendo has repeatedly said how their goal is to eliminate sellouts, and they are ahead of production schedule.

This makes me not worry about pre ordering because if Nintendo's strategy really lowers sellouts, and they are ahead of schedule, then how can they fail this goal?

Of course the pre orders are going to sell out, because the have to be very conservative with their preorders due to the 360 fiasco, not to mention ps2 and n64 to a lesser extent.

EB Games publisized their preorder campaign and used it to secure buyers, but I doubt that it has any real bearing on the availability of the system. Gamestop is the absolute worst place to buy new items anyways, used games perhaps, but buying a new game or system from gamestop seems redundent to me. Like buying a new car from a used car dealer.

stotheamuel
October 14th, 2006, 21:22
i couldnt ditch my first class to go

we have midterm/ semester exams

slayer2psp
October 14th, 2006, 22:19
there was twice as many people trying to Preorder the wii at my local gamestop then the ps3 my local store is getting 16 wii and 8 ps3 im getting one of each.

mattsw
October 16th, 2006, 18:08
Glad I preordered my USA unit as soon as it was available :P