PDA

View Full Version : Wagic 0.17 on its way

wraggster
December 4th, 2011, 22:57
via http://wololo.net/wagic/2011/12/04/wagic-0-17-on-its-way/#more-3635

I hate vaporware and that’s why I usually don’t blog too much about an upcoming release in Wagic. But the last release (0.16) was such a long time ago that I don’t remember when it was, so I feel like I should mention the project is still very active and alive. Today I started the process for releasing Wagic 0.17. Now don’t jump around too soon. This process usually takes 3 or 4 weeks. We go through an alpha stage with the other devs, where we basically try to fix the most ugly bugs, before releasing a public beta. The beta usually lasts about a week, followed by the public release.

Wagic running on a Motorola Xoom
For those of you who still don’t know, Wagic is an heroic-fantasy strategy game, initially inspired by Magic the Gathering, which with time has evolved into a flexible system allowing players to create their own cards, campaigns, rules and mods. For Wagic 0.17, we’ve been mostly focusing on Android. This doesn’t mean that other platforms are not getting any update, but this basically explains why we haven’t done a release in a while. My goal for the Android version of Wagic was to come up with an entirely new game (by “new game”, I mean a mod that wouldn’t be MTG). We’re getting there, but it’s taking more time than I initially expected. In parallel, we also need to fix lots of UI issues on touch screens… As a result, Wagic for Android had been in a public “test release” for a few months now, and, since that release we’ve done lots of progress, but there’s still lots of work to do. Nevertheless, Android will also get a 0.17 release, just so that people can see the progress we’ve made in 3 months. It won’t be perfect, but I know you’ll forgive us

One of the cool avatars made by Ilya B. for Wagic
In parallel we are also making progress on the iOS port, but again we would love to get more iOS devs to help us. The iPhone/iPad port might not see the day of light until we get a few dedicated devs to help. As a reminder, Wagic on the iPhone/iPod/iPad is already fully functional, it’s just a matter of finding the right people to maintain it and fix the bugs. If you think you can help, grab the source, and send me an email

About the game itself, all platforms including our beloved PSP will get a bunch of new features and new cards. Wagic 0.17 will have about 400 new cards, including cards from the Innistrad set, and with it some new mechanics. The current Alpha I’m looking at already has more than 8500 cards, and hopefully we might add a few ones here and there. We’re also planning to (finally) add an undo feature to the game, although it’s not yet sure if it will make it to Wagic 0.17, since it’s quite experimental for now. One of the major changes for this version will not be visible to players, as we reworked the resource files in a system that will allow you, among other things, to have all your images in one single file instead of one file per set. This system should simplify the work for people who want to install new stuff in Wagic (cards, themes, campaigns, images, etc…). If I have enough time, this system will also allow me to distribute some additional themes, campaigns…directly from the download page.

Please be a bit more patient, we’re doing our best so that Wagic 0.17 reaches your PSP/Android/PC/… as soon as possible