PDA

View Full Version : DS2x86 progress

wraggster
December 4th, 2011, 23:33
via http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/DSblog.html

The only big improvement regarding DS2x86 I have achievent since the last blog post, is that I have managed to get the AdLib audio emulation working. The AdLib audio emulation now runs fully on the ARM7 processor also in DS2x86, using the exact same code as in the original DSx86. Only the data transfer system is different (and it is actually still just a quick hack, until I get the whole MIPS-to-NDS transfer system redone). The primary goal for this enhancement was to make sure that the ARM7 audio system does run normally and that it is possible to handle the AdLib emulation on it.
I am currently working on the transfer system restructuring. I began by removing code that seemed non-essential, checking that the system still works, then removing some more code, and so on. It is nice to see how the plugin size gets smaller and smaller, with no change in the behaviour. There is actually A LOT of unneeded code and handshaking for the card interface. I'm not sure if much of it is there simply as a leftover from the early experimenting by SuperCard, or if there are some situations where all of that is needed. Almost none of it seems to be needed in DS2x86, though.
I have a long weekend to work on DS2x86, as next Tuesday is the Independence Day of Finland, and I also took the Monday off from work. I hope to be able to finish the new simplified transfer system during this time, so that I can then continue adding all the required functionality to take advantage of the new transfer system. It still looks like the new transfer system will be MUCH better than the original used by the DSTwo SDK. The only frustrating thing with the new system is the fact that I have spent a year fighting with the original SDK! During all that time the possibility to properly use the available hardware features existed, but SuperCard just did not make that available! Well, better late than never, I suppose.