PDA

View Full Version : Free independent movie download for PSP

wraggster
October 13th, 2006, 21:11
News Via PSPVault (http://www.psp-vault.com/Article711.psp)

A Bangkok based independent movie producer has made us US$250,000 budget movie available as a free download in PSP format.

www.killingtime-24-7.com

Bangkok based independent film director, John Lamond Jnr, a PSP fanatic, decided he would like to do something revolutionary in response to the “changing by the minute” nature of international film distribution and its delivery methods.

“Every day the rules seem to change,” says Lamond, “so I decided to step completely outside the box and share my movie, for free, with other PSP users – actually we’ve set up a donation button on the website, but it’s totally voluntary.”

So now his production company, Sukhumvit Films, is releasing a free version of their independent movie, “Killing Time 24/7”, for download to all PSP users.

“Killing Time (24/7)” is a dark day in the life of a young Asian hit-man.

With mature content, the movie is aimed at an older crowd.

“The anti-hero of the film, Jake, escapes the reality of being a hit-man by kind of fooling himself that he is living within a video game. This, together with the fact that a large proportion of PSP users are mature, led me to the conclusion that releasing the movie as a free PSP download would potentially enable me to connect with my target audience – with the kind of people who I hope would be interested in the film and it’s themes.”

“Anyway, I’m a huge fan of the PSP – I carry mine everywhere with me – and I thought it would just be a cool thing to do.”

The KT247 website, www.killingtime-24-7, has been updated, and now offers free downloadable versions of the trailer and the movie specifically formatted to play on PSP units.

BRAVE OR FOOLISH?

“No, just a new and different method to launch a movie!”

Many TV viewers purchase their own DVD copy of a film or TV programme, even though they have already watched it for free on TV.

“I believe we can make quite an impact and this release will certainly provide us with valuable feedback direct from our target audience… and hopefully we might even earn a few dollars,” says Lamond.

Shot in 9 days on location in Bangkok, Thailand, on Sony HD, the film is currently being prepared for DVD release in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.

A boxed DVD version of the movie with extra bonus features, will shortly be available to purchase via the Sukhumvit Films website.

Very Interesting

kando
October 13th, 2006, 21:14
nice! im downloading as we speak....we need to see more of this ^_^

Emeriastone
October 13th, 2006, 21:15
kando, tell me if it's worth the dl after you've tried it

kando
October 13th, 2006, 21:18
i may not get around to watching it for a day or 2, but i will post a review after i watch it :D

Broonale
October 13th, 2006, 21:29
It's nice that he is sharing it for free.

The part about a hitman thinking he is only part of a video game concerns me though. We don't need more attention.
I better get my liberal crybaby armor on!

mr_nick666
October 13th, 2006, 21:34
It's nice that he is sharing it for free.

The part about a hitman thinking he is only part of a video game concerns me though. We don't need more attention.
I better get my liberal crybaby armor on!

/\ /\ Hadnt thought of that :( Bugger...! :eek: If youve got the armour Ill grab the fiery sword of common sense! ;)

I think its a nifty idea :) Lets hope this type of thing continues :p

Dickhead
October 13th, 2006, 21:46
Well its great to see a free legal full movie download but its takes to long to download.....

S34MU5
October 13th, 2006, 21:51
thats a cool idea im gona make one.
on a budget of £10!
but really this guy spent £250000 to make a film to be distributed for free!

mr_nick666
October 13th, 2006, 21:55
thats a cool idea im gona make one.
on a budget of £10!
but really this guy spent £250000 to make a film to be distributed for free!

If its a great deal of publicity for him, his films, and his company then $250,000 is a pretty sweet deal :rolleyes: Plus theres potential DVD sales there too for people who want it on the large screen :) PLUS he'll get a mention as the pioneer when anyone else does this :o Theres a savvy publicist somewhere who thought of this :eek:

fistikuffs
October 13th, 2006, 22:09
If its a great deal of publicity for him, his films, and his company then $250,000 is a pretty sweet deal :rolleyes: Plus theres potential DVD sales there too for people who want it on the large screen :) PLUS he'll get a mention as the pioneer when anyone else does this :o Theres a savvy publicist somewhere who thought of this :eek:

I'm not too sure, $250,000 is alot of money and there is no guarantee that doing this would recoup that cash. However i think it's great and if this does lead to some sort new distribution model then he deserves all the plaudits he gets. I really hope to see more of this!:D

jaydoo
October 13th, 2006, 22:35
I guess its success will depend on the film itself, if its good then this viral distribution method will add to its following and reputation.

Ill be able to tell you in about 46 hours when it finishes downloading :rolleyes:

should have made a torrent...

shrimpidy
October 13th, 2006, 22:48
That's a lot of money to create a free movie. But it is also very kind of him. I'm downloading it right now.

Shiaoran
October 13th, 2006, 23:06
It's a good advertising.
Why don't we hear much from independent film makers? Because they only release their movies in DVD. You don't get to watch them before buying and you never know if the guys got what it takes to be a professional company.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
October 13th, 2006, 23:45
very, very kind............i think he deserves a prize ^^

KenshinKajima
October 14th, 2006, 00:13
Could comeone who DOES finish dling this put it up on another site for us other ppl to dl?

techgt
October 14th, 2006, 02:53
anyone finish the movie yet , if say how it is and if possible put it on another site ...

kando
October 14th, 2006, 03:34
mine froze twice, gave up....

but now that i think about it, even if it wasnt released free on the internet, it would still be available free online....just perhaps not legally :P

but aye, if someone finishes the DL, let us kno...

Veskgar
October 14th, 2006, 04:46
Well, is this movie going to be in English language? Or at least have English subtitles or voice dub?

If it is English, I may check it out.

This was definitely a smart move which will create a good amount of exposure.

XpspX
October 14th, 2006, 05:30
This guy will recoupe SOME money. Without a doubt not all of it. He has a donation link on his site. Ill try to DL it now and post as an attachment for you guys. ^^

Rasputin
October 14th, 2006, 13:41
At a download speed of 1.27k using Flashget, it looks more like a publicity stunt than a sincere attempt to distribute the film. :(

Then again, it is free, so who am I to complain. :D

:eek: Dl speed suddenly shot up to 250+k and finished in a little over an hour.

MUDD
October 14th, 2006, 13:51
i know the idea isnt original ,im thinking
reserection of the little match girl ,if i member
corectly that was about a hitman thinking he
was in a video game,he had counters and mission updates and map and everything like a game has .it was good but for that very thing that made it suck,

im curious if its any good ,someone who likes asian cinema could let us know would be nice .

LAW666
October 14th, 2006, 15:55
At a download speed of 1.27k using Flashget, it looks more like a publicity stunt than a sincere attempt to distribute the film. :(

Then again, it is free, so who am I to complain. :D

when using flashget make sure u split file into 10 for maximum download speed.

its a pretty good film, voices are a bit weird sometimes, the lips are in time with the actors speaking english, but it seems like an overdub anyway.

masterpsp2.6
October 14th, 2006, 20:40
the damn movie file is currupt