PDA

View Full Version : The UK's First Long Wii Play Session - Report

wraggster
October 14th, 2006, 11:35
Heres an excerpt:

Everyone else has played a Wii for around ten minutes in the UK, if at all. A handful of lucky journalists have got ten mins per title. Today, we can tell you what it's like after more than two hours of raw playing time, and that's what gamers everywhere need to know.

Hailed as the largest innovation in gaming history by some and as the biggest gimmick ever to strike the realm of console gaming by others, the Nintendo Wii is sure to top many gamers Christmas lists. The sexy, minimalist white box with its soft, blue glow around the disc port deserves a spot on any lounge TV unit, surely?

What we’ve been lacking up until now though has been lengthy play times on the Wii itself. Ten minutes at E3 2006 just doesn’t cut it. Will you get tired too quickly? Do you have to stand around or is it feasible to sit? Is waving the remote a fine art or is it just like waving a stick in a goldfish bowl and hoping to strike lucky? Finally Entertainmentwise's Kim Kaze is able to answer these and other pressing, REAL questions; after an extended, lengthy play test of four Wii launch titles at the UK offices of Nintendo themselves. No interruptions, no queue, no noise and advice from one of the QA Team to assist with game play questions. Also, this time there were controllers without wires of any kind. Who could ask for more?

We also got to hold a Wii unit in our hands and gain real perspective of how it’s going to feel to handle the unit itself and the literal size as it will be when we slot it into our lounge TV units at home.

First of all, it’s important to remind you that the Wii is selling on two very important and unique points:

1) It’s for everyone; the hardcore gaming nut through to grannies, girls and irregular gamers.

2) The remote which acts as the primary control device is utterly wireless and more than just a tilt sensor; every movement of the remote is detected in any fashion and relates to game play.

No other console either out now or set to launch this side of 2010 offers this. Coming close, Nintendo’s DS handheld has been used as inspiration for many of the Wii features relating to the casual gamer, but that’s where the similarities end.

Some gamers have shown concern that the activity level required to play Wii games, especially the sporty titles, may be too high. There are concerns that you have to stand for long periods of time and use body actions such as swinging your arm above your head or at the side of your body. After playing non stop for two hours, did this happen to me?

Full article (http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news?id=23483&p=1)

Malksta
October 14th, 2006, 13:18
Everyone else has played a Wii for around ten minutes in the UK.

Where?!

JKKDARK
October 14th, 2006, 13:27
too bad, I'm not from the UK :(

gotmilk0112
October 14th, 2006, 13:42
DAMNIT! im not in uk.....but Game-Stop's will have wii booths soon! :D

fg-54
October 14th, 2006, 20:28
i wanna play the wii! i've had about 6 dreams of me playing or buying the wii already, but its all over when i wake up.

philr359
October 15th, 2006, 01:46
"It’s every independent journalist’s nightmare to sound like a hype generating machine; the very sight of hype sends us screaming for the hills. However, just sometimes there is hype well deserved. This is one such time. This controller, my friends, is to gaming what remote controllers were to TV sets. You have to play with this thing, and we’re convinced you’re going to love it. Really."

best part :D

dmac
October 15th, 2006, 03:19
Sounds like a good way to shed a few pounds. Play the Wii for a few hours.

geise69
October 15th, 2006, 04:00
That was honestly one of the best reviews for a new system that I have read in a very long time. It answered all the questions that I had about the Wii. Games have gotten stale and it's nice to see someone bringing something fresh finally to the market. Definitly pre-ordering one now. :)

devmas
October 15th, 2006, 04:16
I played the Wii earlier today, at the Digital Life Expo in New York City. I loved it, and I can't wait for it to come out! I played Elebits by Konami, but they also had Madden from EA. I honestly had problems with it, becasue of so much interference in the expo area. However, I know for sure that it will be very good to play at home. Now, more than ever, I want the Wii.

I like this article... and it is true, you really forget that the nunchuck attachment is there!

(Anyone in or around New York City can still go to Digital Life. Its final day is tomorrow, Sunday)