PDA

View Full Version : C or C++ ???

mbr7
October 14th, 2006, 13:34
I am done coading with Lua now and I wonder what you devs think i should start with now c or c++ ??:)

acn010
October 14th, 2006, 14:14
start with C++

yaustar
October 14th, 2006, 15:10
Tough question. C is a much smaller languageso you can learn the syntax a lot faster but doesn't have a decent standard library which means you have to do a lot of work yourself on the lower level (e.g. linked lists).

C++ is a slightly higher level language in concept and provides powerful features such as template metaprogramming but that in turn means you have to wrap your head round the concepts to use them effectively.

mbr7
October 14th, 2006, 17:22
Tough question. C is a much smaller languageso you can learn the syntax a lot faster but doesn't have a decent standard library which means you have to do a lot of work yourself on the lower level (e.g. linked lists).

C++ is a slightly higher level language in concept and provides powerful features such as template metaprogramming but that in turn means you have to wrap your head round the concepts to use them effectively.

Thanks!!

mbr7
October 14th, 2006, 17:25
anyone know any good turtiols of how to get started with c++ for psp

yaustar
October 14th, 2006, 18:56
Forget the PSP. Learn the language and how to program on the easiest platform first (the PC). That is hard enough without dealing with all the hardware specific issues that you get on the PSP or any other console.

BlackShark
October 14th, 2006, 23:30
ya, id like to learn the language as well, any good tutorials for that?

skater9269
October 14th, 2006, 23:41
this is where I started to learn http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/lesson1.html
it has c and c++ on that website
also pick up bloodshed Dev-C++ it is great and includes a compiler and debugger its free and can be picked up on sourceforge

yaustar
October 15th, 2006, 01:41
(If it works) Plenty of links in this article:
http://parabellumgames.no-ip.org/articles/

Or: http://forums.evilmana.com/index.php?topic=98.0

AvengedSevenfold Fan
October 15th, 2006, 17:02
go to pspprogramming.com, they have good tutorials, thats where im learning lua

yaustar
October 15th, 2006, 17:18
Unfortunately, pspprogramming.com doesn't teach you the language, it teaches you how to use the API and compiler in a nutshell.

Yessy2952
October 15th, 2006, 19:28
I have a question for all of you.

How much time did it take you devs to code the psp and learn the language C++?
One year? a month? ..?

yaustar
October 15th, 2006, 19:51
About learning the C++ language, 3 years and still going. It is such an extensive language that you are bound to learn something new from time to time.

At a rough guess, I would say that you need around 2 months of C++ experience of programming on the PC before you can move onto another platform like the PSP, GBA, GP2X etc.

That can vary heavily, some will take a year, some will only take 2 weeks, 6 months etc. It is difficult to put a definitive time on something that relies on the individual's drive, motivation and possible methods of learning.

ACID
October 23rd, 2006, 06:57
I have been working with the language for 8 years now and im still learning new things. And to bussy to code like our great coders at dcemu.