PDA

View Full Version : PSP: CPS1PSP Final Release... And Farewell From NJ?

b8a
October 15th, 2006, 09:02
True to his word, NJ (http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/index.html) has released the source code for his three arcade emulators: CPS1PSP, CPS2PSP, and NGEPSP. With the release of these sources, he also released the final version of CPS1PSP which includes a minor bugfix for a single game:

Fixed state save/load in Pang!3
Additionally, he has addressed speculations about what project he'll tackle next:

With this, things have settled down for me. I don't think there will be anymore updates for the forseeable future.
As for what I'll make next, maybe I'll port something else... However, it's more likely that I'll just end it with this.

There aren't any (that I'm interested in) from overseas makers, SEGA, or CAPCOM.
Source could be reused for SEGA, however, sadly, I have absolutely no interest in them, including their home consoles. Additionally, I started working on CPS1PSP without knowing about the impending release of Capcom Collection. It looks like there might not be any need to make anything else.
Just my two cents, but since there still aren't any solid PCE-S/CD emulators for the PSP, and seeing as how NJ was able to nail NG-CD emulation, that's one project that I'd personally love to see him tackle.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

matt2k
October 15th, 2006, 09:39
A PCE-S/CD emulator would be great!!!
Lots of great unknowns on that system. I find new ones every other week.

My second choice would be for a Raine emu since MAME has been so quiet.

Eternal-Blue
October 15th, 2006, 09:48
Mame!!!

migsgiz
October 15th, 2006, 10:03
I Would Love To See Him Do MAME!!!!

Mr. Shizzy
October 15th, 2006, 10:17
Additionally, he has addressed speculations about what project he'll tackle next:
[INDENT]With this, things have settled down for me. I don't think there will be anymore updates for the forseeable future.As for what I'll make next, maybe I'll port something else... However, it's more likely that I'll just end it with this.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :eek: Please say it ain't so. (I was praying for a Raine emu...) :eek:

bosanova_x
October 15th, 2006, 10:30
All I can say Is that nj and his emulators have given me the upmost pleasure in the homebrew scene.it would be sush a shame to lose nj and his coding abilitys.

Thanks again to nj !!!!!!!

BL4Z3D247
October 15th, 2006, 10:44
wow they're dropping like flies :(...but he definitly did enough with the 3 a day releases and CPS2PSP :D, so good luck NJ(in whatever u do) and i hope to see some more of ur work, but if not u still rock

cazmiester
October 15th, 2006, 11:08
all i can say is nj please dont go as you are the single reason ithat made it worth owning a psp i see alot of people would like to see a decent port of mame iwould be exstatic if you would take up that mantle as ive still to see arcade emulation that rivals your emulators cheers for a great time and if be a sad farewell. caz:( :( :( :( :( :(

V3N0M
October 15th, 2006, 11:35
Well don't worry about a raine emu. One will come eventually. I know it. But i have all ready said to much lol. I can't say anything other than that. You'll all have to wait and see...

Nookadum
October 15th, 2006, 11:46
BTW, the files attached to this post are for the CPS2 emulator, not CPS1. :p

mr_nick666
October 15th, 2006, 11:49
wow they're dropping like flies :(...but he definitly did enough with the 3 a day releases and CPS2PSP :D, so good luck NJ(in whatever u do) and i hope to see some more of ur work, but if not u still rock

/\ /\ I wholeheartedly agree with you :p If NJ is leaving than I thank him for all that hes done :D

... a decent MAME version wouldnt go amiss though... :o

The_Ultimate_Eggman
October 15th, 2006, 13:00
Yet another coer going.A very sad day and the loss of a great coder.Im sure i speak for everydody when i say thanks and wish NJ all the sucess he deserves in his future projects.

MicroNut
October 15th, 2006, 13:26
CPS2PSP is a Perfect -compliment- to the Capcom Collection.

CPS2PSP is Awesome.

Thank you NJ!

XioN980
October 15th, 2006, 13:37
Yeah, we really need a good mame emulator, the MAME4ALL releases were looking good for a while but NJ is the master of Arcade Emulation!! no questions

grit
October 15th, 2006, 14:10
..............Additionally, I started working on CPS1PSP without knowing about the impending release of Capcom Collection.............
So? No comments on this mater?

MAME by NJ would be fantastic! :D

The_Ultimate_Eggman
October 15th, 2006, 14:42
Yep definatley CPS2 emulator.wierd :(

gunntims0103
October 15th, 2006, 14:48
damn i would have loved to see him rap up cps2 a little bit more it was very good but not perfect

cps1 was flawless with no problems

both were great emu's

Veskgar
October 15th, 2006, 15:05
I'm not too discouraged. NJ has given us A LOT! Between Neo Geo CDZ, NGE PSP, CP1 & CPS2 we have plenty to keep us occupied for months/years to come.

Also, NJ has made vague references to ending work before only to come out with something new that surpassed all previous works.

I don't think we've seen the last from NJ.

I also would like to see a PCE - CD-ROM EMU or an updated / advanced TG-16 (PCE) EMU for that matter.

opiate81
October 15th, 2006, 15:06
Thanks for all your hard work NJ!
I love havin all the streetfighters and king of fighters!!
classic fighting games

what games did the raine system have?
and would a zinc emulator be possible on the psp?

Basil Zero
October 15th, 2006, 15:43
Mame!!

Apoklepz
October 15th, 2006, 16:04
Yay, NJ! great work, as always...but don't go yet...there's still MAME and PCE-CD...I mean, we have emulators for both of these already, yes...but they were abandoned, and far from perfect....please tackle these two proyects, or at least one of them...I surely would be more then willing to donate for this great development...YOU CAN DO IT!!!! YOU ARE NJ, after all!!!!

...Yep, those downloads on page 1 need to be fixed...

Zombo
October 15th, 2006, 16:14
Neo-Geo code :o...Someone give sound and reduce lag to the Metal Slug games quick! :|

tsurumaru
October 15th, 2006, 16:29
Neo-Geo code :o...Someone give sound and reduce lag to the Metal Slug games quick! :|

Alternatively if you are that desperate simply buy the Metal Slug Anthology on PSP when its out..... ;)

Zombo
October 15th, 2006, 16:32
Yeah but what if they want you to upgrade...well that's what Devhook is for (I just want to have the Neo-Geo bios with them :D)

Vega
October 15th, 2006, 17:47
Well, NJ was always one of my favourite coders. I followed his every release very closely, and must say, if he is planning on leaving the scene, it will be a great lose. I hope he doesn't go, cuz, without need to say, he is one of the best coders on the scene.
Whatever happens, thanks NJ fo the releases and hard work.

Broonale
October 15th, 2006, 18:04
Thanks!

Atari Jaguar would make a nice challenge for you! :)

Psphreak
October 15th, 2006, 18:08
Here here NJ. Thanks to you I can finally play CPS-1/CPS-2 on my psp. Sure Capcom is releasing a classics with CPS1 games BUT with your emu the game glitches are still intact (guile's handcuffs, invisible throw etc). That just makes it all worthwhile. Thank you lots

cleardragon
October 15th, 2006, 18:15
thank you NJ
pce-cd please Nj....

Psphreak
October 15th, 2006, 18:20
Is that Pce-cd you mentioning the Turbo-duo?

matt2k
October 15th, 2006, 18:23
NJ isn't going anywhere yet. His website still lists CPS2PSP as an Active Project.
CPS1PSP is now finished. There is at least one more release coming from him.

repuken2
October 15th, 2006, 19:36
playing Castlevania Chi No Rondo (Pce CD) with mp3 support would be great but the best thing we could be blessed with would be without any doubt a nice MAME port.

sgamemu22
October 15th, 2006, 20:00
With his emus I am now able to play those arcade games that arent going to be released. Big thanks to NJ.
Im still patiently waiting for those early konami games, or just MAME in general.

aries2k4
October 15th, 2006, 23:45
NJ is without doubt one of my favorite coders. I sure hope he starts another project but if not, I can only say thanks for everything he has done.
Sure capcom is making collections for the psp but the marvel games will not be in them. they don´t have the licence anymore. without these emus we wouldn´t be able to play those games.

Jmanultra
October 16th, 2006, 02:59
I just wanted to thank NJ for his incredible work. Just the thought of having CPS1 & 2 games on the PSP is too awesome, and the NEO GEO MVS emu is a real space saver on the 'ol memory stick duo. I'd like to wish him luck in whatever he decides to do in the future. I'd love to see him take on MAME (or Sega's system 16 board) though as I'm sure he'd do a killer job.

pkmaximum
October 16th, 2006, 03:53
I really wish the great NJ could work on N64 ;). I could definently picture him pulling off full speed. And I havn't heard a WIP from Strmmmn in a while... I sure hope he didn't quit D:

Anyway great release. I'm glad I don't have to update CPS-1 on my PSP any more =P.

I really hope NJ starts a new project though. He is a legend for coding =O

DeeDub
October 16th, 2006, 04:11
Are links in this thread going to be updated so they are CPS1, not 2?

Baboon
October 16th, 2006, 09:09
:D
I'm not too discouraged. NJ has given us A LOT! Between Neo Geo CDZ, NGE PSP, CP1 & CPS2 we have plenty to keep us occupied for months/years to come.

Also, NJ has made vague references to ending work before only to come out with something new that surpassed all previous works.

I don't think we've seen the last from NJ.

I also would like to see a PCE - CD-ROM EMU or an updated / advanced TG-16 (PCE) EMU for that matter.

I agree with ya, we haven’t seen the last of NJ just yet (de-ja-vu?)!

Time and time again he’s said he’s throwing in the towel and giving up, only to hit us with another succession of updates or some great new project! :)

We’ve been blessed on the PSP so far by this super-coder! ...I’m just really looking forward to his next adventure in the emulation world. :D

NovaKane
October 16th, 2006, 16:51
Damn, where the hell have I been at lol? Thanks for keeping my PSP alive during its dark periods NJ. He literally turned my PSP into a portable arcade machine. Downloading any version of an emu of his just to find out he already released an updated version (the same day) showed how much effort he put into his work.

The only game I want for RAINE is WWF Wrestlefest. That would look too cool on the PSP screen. I hope he shocks the homebrew scene once again with another project. If not, it doesn't matter because the [b]four[b] emus he put out will last me for a very long time.

Thanks again NJ!

neosan
October 16th, 2006, 17:16
Thanks for Everything NJ!
...Y's Book 1 & 2 would be a godsend vis PCECD emu..

Whatever he tackles next, should he decide will be great I am sure.

ExcruciationX
October 16th, 2006, 17:39
There are way too many coders leaving the scene! I would like to see him work on a good MAME emulator!

geise69
October 17th, 2006, 12:57
Yes I would love to have a better working PCE-SCD emulator. Hue was really good before it became e[mulator]. Also I think Hue version .62pre1 plays Ys Book I&II really well. I'll have to check again. Also I wish NJ could work on a Raine port as well since it's way faster than mame, but the problem is that it's coded in assembly specifically for x86 computers so I don't see it getting ported any time soon.

b8a
October 18th, 2006, 10:37
I didn't upload those files in the first post (I'm not on broadband so downloading files just to upload them again is an excruciating and time consuming process for me), but if someone would like to upload the real files, I'd gladly change the links.

And, to all you guys requesting MAME: IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN (!_!)
NJ had a heck of a time wrangling enough memory just for these seperate portions of MAME! Remember that MAME stands for "Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator", so the closest we'll ever get to a full version of MAME on the PSP would be an app that would detect the appropriate emulator for each selected rom, unload it's self from memory, and pass the rom file reference to the appropriate PSP app. And in order for that to happen, we would need to have dedicated coders who are ready to follow NJ's lead and continue porting MAME in managable segments. I could be wrong, but I kind of doubt that there are really enough people out there who are sincerely interested in playing the full set of MAME's thousands of games (and hundreds of different hardware configurations, if I'm not mistaken) to make this any sort of a reality. As always, someone proove me wrong (!_!)

O-bake
October 18th, 2006, 10:58
Yeah, the emulator i would like to have most on the PSP is a PC-Engine CD one, as well.
Many attempts are really close and i guess the PSP power is not the problem.
Such project "just" needs a talented coder, who can do this.... ;)

geise69
October 18th, 2006, 13:58
I didn't upload those files in the first post (I'm not on broadband so downloading files just to upload them again is an excruciating and time consuming process for me), but if someone would like to upload the real files, I'd gladly change the links.

And, to all you guys requesting MAME: IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN (!_!)
NJ had a heck of a time wrangling enough memory just for these seperate portions of MAME! Remember that MAME stands for "Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator", so the closest we'll ever get to a full version of MAME on the PSP would be an app that would detect the appropriate emulator for each selected rom, unload it's self from memory, and pass the rom file reference to the appropriate PSP app. And in order for that to happen, we would need to have dedicated coders who are ready to follow NJ's lead and continue porting MAME in managable segments. I could be wrong, but I kind of doubt that there are really enough people out there who are sincerely interested in playing the full set of MAME's thousands of games (and hundreds of different hardware configurations, if I'm not mistaken) to make this any sort of a reality. As always, someone proove me wrong (!_!)

Well if someone went the route of how the MAME emulator was done on the GP2X it "could" be feasable for quite a few games. MAME on the GP2X is based off of version 0.34 and has some romsets from v0.35 betas. The reason is that most of those games run without needing a lot of cpu power ( on a pc anyways). When v0.53 started rolling around the way the drivers were written for most games required a beefier pc. A decent version could work if it's based on v0.34, but don't expect any games over probably 5 megs to load. There's just not enough ram in the psp, and the cache method NJ used with neogeo and cps2 stuff wouldn't work for MAME either. Also MAME is done with A LOT of different devs submitting just one or a couple game drivers at a time. I still believe a port of an older version of mame could work. Anyways sorry to get off topic. Thanks for the great emu's NJ and best of luck with whatever else you decide to do!

green-machine
November 19th, 2006, 23:37
Both these CPS (1&2) emulators are very smooth and the games are perfect pick up and play.

It's a shame the NeoGeo emulator (mvspsp) whilst also being very smooth, can't play sound on larger game files. From my experience games larger than 22,000kb dont play sound. I know it's not a perfect world and I would still like to thank you NJ for your amazing contributions. Well Done for releasing excellent additions to the psp homebrew scene. Best of luck for the future.

jurkevicz
November 21st, 2006, 22:55
Nj updated his site with information on CPS2, but I can't translate.

animekid4
November 21st, 2006, 23:23
What exactly is this?

shedeus
November 30th, 2006, 23:53
lol

only one of the finest emus available