PDA

View Full Version : DS 'pwnes' PSP

wraggster
October 16th, 2006, 16:12
Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=147654)

Speaking in an DS Lite Retail Guide that recently came bundled with trade weekly MCV, Nintendo handheld product manager James Honeywell spoke about how DS sales compare with PSP.

"Up until the end of last year sale between the two formats were fairly evenly matched, with DS slightly outselling PSP," he said. "Since the beginning of the year, with our stellar line-up of releases, we have pushed our sales through the roof. Then with the fantastic launch of DS Lite in June we have begun to pull further and further away.

"Right now, with the combination of DS and DS Lite we are outselling the competition by a ratio of 3:1. This increase in hardware sales has also driven an increase in DS software sales, moving ahead of PSP in the total number of units and also, more interestingly, we have now seen that the same third party titles are selling more on the DS than on other formats.

We are seeing publishers start to rethink their strategies switching development from other formats to the successful DS platform and, more importantly, creating bespoke titles that fully utilise the DS features rather than simply porting content without taking advantage of the great things you can do on DS."

We're loving the DS at the moment and are already beginning to lose sleep over the huge anticipation for The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass!

JKKDARK
October 16th, 2006, 16:26
DS kicks PSP ass :p

Malksta
October 16th, 2006, 16:51
PSP is better for homebrew though.

one winged angel
October 16th, 2006, 17:40
i would never trade my psp for a ds

ExcruciationX
October 16th, 2006, 17:49
So true...

oregono
October 16th, 2006, 22:22

i highly disagree. The psp has emulators, but what other homebrew does it have?

In addition, its a lot more tedious to get homebrew on the psp.

Cloudhunter
October 16th, 2006, 22:55
i highly disagree. The psp has emulators, but what other homebrew does it have?

In addition, its a lot more tedious to get homebrew on the psp.

Rubbish, its alot easier and requires no extra hardware. There is alot more to life than emulators you know :rolleyes: there are plenty of other homebrew applications.

Cloudy

ACID
October 16th, 2006, 22:58
I love bouth but the PSP is better for emulators and homebrew. And installing homebrews is way easyer. Plus i spent more on my Two ds and cards then i have in my 4 psp. So its also much cheaper.

King of Fire
October 16th, 2006, 23:15
...in my eyes psp is better...:cool:

BL4Z3D247
October 16th, 2006, 23:23
even if i had a ds i'd probably still use my psp more just cuz it's a all-in-one portable console(all-in-one meaning the consoles i enjoy :))

TeenDev
October 16th, 2006, 23:44

true dat

Cap'n 1time
October 17th, 2006, 00:04
DS = better comercial games and better selling games. Money wise, thats all that matters. No doubt the PSP has a better homebrew community, but I dont think that makes the people marketing for sony feel any better he he.

kcajblue
October 17th, 2006, 00:18
it doesnt matter. because DS 'pwnes' PSP. :D

Bonic
October 17th, 2006, 03:05
I agree, 100%

SSaxdude
October 17th, 2006, 03:49
PSP is only useful for some comercial games but mainly homebrew.

ukcuf16
October 17th, 2006, 06:02
i hae both but i gotta admit that psp is way better 50000 times better. its like comparing a ps2 to n64 LOL. my dusty ds is lying around sumwhere dont mind it for the old school kind of games (mario kart etc.)

Senile Snake
October 17th, 2006, 06:56
I like the PSP better. And I have a DS.

Veskgar
October 17th, 2006, 07:23
I just bought a DS Lite (Black) 2 days ago and I like it more than I thought it would. Could just be because its new but we'll see in the coming weeks. Great games for both PSP & DS Lite are scheduled to be released in the coming weeks. Final Fantasy III remake anyone? Hell even the GBA will see a couple good ones, Juka & Final Fantasy V remake.

So do I play the GBA games on my DS Lite or PSP wiht gpSP from Exophase? LOL

I gotta say this, and I am an avid PSP fan & supporter that the games for the DS Lite seem of a much higher caliber than PSP games. A big part of this is LOADING TIMES on the PSP but still. Sure, PSP games allow for plenty of video cutscenes & audio dialogue due to the UMD, but that is not the game. Having ripped a lot of my PSP games, I see that most of what makes up a UMD is VIDEO cutscenes, trailers, & audio. Having pretty CG animation does not make a game.

The DS Lite is definitely more "pick-up-and-play" friendly regarding commercial gaming, but the PSP will always reign superior when it comes to homebrew & emulation.

When it comes to games released on all platforms, i.e. Lego Star Wars II - Original Trilogy, the PSP definitely wins and gives a better gaming experience. But where the DS Lite is kicking ass is in unique intuitive & interactive games that almost anyone can enjoy for hours, week, months, even years. Games like Metroid Prime Hunter, Brain Age, Mario Kart, Cooking Mama & more are perfect examples of this.

A person feels they are getting more out of gaming when they can talk to it (DS Microphone), play with others around the world (DS WiFi Network), truly interact instead of just mashing buttons (DS touch screen), and.... well you get the picture.

I guess I've typed enough and need to shut up. I'm just on a DS Lite buzz because I just got one. It may wear off (although I doubt completely). But I really feel strongly that developers should start creating more uniqe games for the PSP like LocoRoco, create a better WiFi service so gamers can network easier with a sort of gamertag or "friend code", & look at ways to make games tailored for the PSP experience. I don't really give a damn about playing a scaled down version of more advanced games on home consoles. Its almost like developers have still not understood the PSP's potential when it comes to gaming. And it is not just "better graphics & pretty CG animation".

Nuff Said..

Payk
October 17th, 2006, 10:22
Well i have both, ds and psp. My PSP caches dust.
And u said PSP doesnt need additional hw to replace firmware....At least it needs a pc and a usb-wire. You also need a memory stick. For ds u need memcard passcard and pc. But its much easier then if u got all what u need.

But yeah: PSP is technicaly better! Sure. NO doubt.
Emus make much more sence on it. True. But Messengers/Organizer/Graphiceditor & Texteditorapps make much more sence on DS. A c64 emu makes more sence on the ds, too.

But well, that has nothing todo with the sellings. We all know how many kiddys bought a ds just for nintendogs. Now Pokemon released, if they launch it in the US or EU, DS will sell one more time a million units. Thats for the mass u know. The Homebrewusers are maybe 10% (i guess).
Its like the Dreamcast. It lost against oponends like n64 and PSone because of the amount and quality of games. Same is with PSP now. Very often technicaly better means nothing. A cheaper prize and more innovation can make a device becoming a winner. I guess it could happen for Wii and PS3, too.

But one thing. Sony made faults.
What most people want to see on a handheld is:
ergonomy and NO LOADINGTIMES. DS can offer both.
Well somebody sayd that the UMD offers cutscenes which DS couldnt. Well, u know max. space a ds cardridge can hold? 32GBits (4GB)!...i guess its just to expensive to produce. But it will change soon.
So DS has more memory for games, faster memory for games. Sony made another mistake. The batterylife sucks. I got prince of persia. When i boot it, it needs about 10 sec. to show me that short obisoft video. Then it loads about 15 seconds for the titlemenu. Then u choose new game, it loads about 10 sec. the trailer. The trailer is impressive. No doupt, but i dont wait that long for a trailer.
After that it loads another 10-15 sec. for the level.
I mean that acting is ok for a console. Then after 2 hours (and 30 minutes of them were loadingtimes) buttery sucks. But itsnt it kinda wrong for a handheld?

The thing is, no commercial devers, spend much energy in deving 3D engines for DS. There is much more possible then u may think of.
Of course not that much like PSP ;P But well, think about Perfect Dark on NDS. That would work maybe. It would look very impressive and would have best possible controlments on handheld marked.

The Hombrew Hunter
October 17th, 2006, 12:05
The DS' emulators are catching up.

We may not see N64 games, but who cares? We're probably gonna get our favorites remade.

I think the DS DOES pwn PSP. It would show, seeing as how my 4 friends all OWN DSes and not PSPs.

No "e" in pwns.

GobboFett
October 17th, 2006, 13:30
It's true PSP commercial games are rubbish in comparison to DS. Homebrew for PSP is FAR better than DS. Good thing I own both consoles :cool:

Cap'n 1time
October 17th, 2006, 14:44
I personally see the DS coming out on top with hombrew apps. Though it cant do all the 3d rendering the psp can it isnt exactly a weak little machine. It would also be more practicle to use the touchpad to type instant messages and do quick surfing of the web, as well as reading ebooks or searching a virtually dictionary. Not exactly what some of you are looking for, but very usefull in my opinion!

ALSO at the moment DS linux murders ALL psp applications in my eyes. It also has megaETK wich is a fine peice of software if you havnt tried it yet! If you got a DS and you got a flashcart explore a little bit :) . I would certainly agree that PSP is your handheld of choice for emulation, but DS HAS THE POTENTIAL to kick its ass and send it home crying in terms of homebrew apps.

masterpaul
October 17th, 2006, 15:11
Nobody in my neighbourhood owns a PSP.

They all have a DS.

-------------------------------------------------------

Besides DS has better games.

And for homebrew stragegy, rpg and shooters nintendo DS owns.

S34MU5
October 17th, 2006, 15:18
only good hoembrew for DS i have seen is DSorgainse like a pda function. and if a full screen paint was made would be good. but ds hacking is expensive psp is easier and has alot more variaty!

masterpaul
October 17th, 2006, 15:23
But, atleast DS gets all the cool stragegy, rpg and shooters homebrew.

Veskgar
October 17th, 2006, 17:12
I personally see the DS coming out on top with hombrew apps.
Pardon me if this seems a bit ignorant but the Nintendo DS has been out LONGER than the PSP. If more potential lies in the DS for homebrew, how come it has not advanced to be even close to PSP homebrew? I ask because I just bought a DS Lite and looking for the first time into DS homebrew I was shocked to see it was so limited. No biggie though, I actually bought the DS Light primarily for commercial games.

But, atleast DS gets all the cool stragegy, rpg and shooters homebrew.
Aint that the truth. The PSP would be perfect for RPG, strategy, & turn-based strategy RPG's but yet it has a very limited selection. And most are old ports that did not even port over that well (Astonishia Story & Spectral Souls)

In a few weeks when a WHOPPING 3 new Square-Enix games are released, that will really give the DS even a bigger boost in sales.

Within a short time the DS Lite will see Final Fantasy III remake, Children of Mana, & Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.

Its definitely a good time to own a DS Lite. I'm glad I got one. It is also important and fair to note that the PSP will be getting some killer titles in the next few weeks as well. I can't wait for Killzone Liberation & Ace Combat.

Vegetable
October 17th, 2006, 18:16
DS = better comercial games and better selling games. Money wise, thats all that matters. No doubt the PSP has a better homebrew community, but I dont think that makes the people marketing for sony feel any better he he.

Thread over.

Pardon me if this seems a bit ignorant but the Nintendo DS has been out LONGER than the PSP. If more potential lies in the DS for homebrew, how come it has not advanced to be even close to PSP homebrew?

If I recall correctly, it took more time for the DS to be homebrew-compatible than the PSP.

Apoklepz
October 17th, 2006, 19:12
DS vs. PSP

Commercial Games = DS Pwns PSP

Homebrew = PSP Pwns DS

Final score = Draw

Just my two cents...I own both portables and am about to sell my Old DS so I can get a DS Lite...Can't wait!

souLLy
October 17th, 2006, 19:32
When people say the psp homebrew scene is better I'd have to disagree, it IS a more powerful system so certain things will be possible on the psp that will never be possible on the ds, but in terms of interestingness of projects ds stuff is way more innovative and varied. If by homebrew you just mean 'N64 ROMZ PLZ' then I'm sure you disagree, but the PSP is a fine system with a couple of decent games and a healthy homebrew scene. It's a great time to be a handheld gamer in general.

Kraton
October 17th, 2006, 20:02
When people say the psp homebrew scene is better I'd have to disagree, it IS a more powerful system so certain things will be possible on the psp that will never be possible on the ds, but in terms of interestingness of projects ds stuff is way more innovative and varied. If by homebrew you just mean 'N64 ROMZ PLZ' then I'm sure you disagree, but the PSP is a fine system with a couple of decent games and a healthy homebrew scene. It's a great time to be a handheld gamer in general.

I agree :\

only good hoembrew for DS i have seen is DSorgainse like a pda function. and if a full screen paint was made would be good. but ds hacking is expensive psp is easier and has alot more variaty!

DS:
DSL 175$, M3 Lite + Passcard v3 85$, 1GB MicroSD 40$ = 300$

and if you want cheaper and good set:

DSL 175$, Supercard Lite + Passcard v3 60$, 1GB Micro SD 40$ = 275$

PSP: Value Pack 250$ + 1GB Memory Stick 50$ = 300$

And you say DS hacking is more expensive than PSP? eh..

Payk
October 17th, 2006, 22:01
I think there are many reasons why PSP has better apps.

At first it has more ram. That GUIs/OSs which PSP has, are clearly impossible on NDS. For example the ram. PSP has 8x more ram then a DS. So an OS with mp3 paint etc is simpler to code.
Second thing is: DS has younger costumerz...i guess it has a smaller ammount of coders.
And at least memory. DS has like 20 different flashcards all with own codes (or even no codes) and things, while PSP has same code routine for all memory sticks. Its much harder to make an app on DS. No wonder that we see less impressive homebrew. For the rendering on 3d...DS pwnes psp in 3d homebrew. You may not know it, but i just get bumpmapping working on nds. Motionblur is next aim. Dynamic lights are solved since weeks. I promiss you DS will **** the PSP in the UMD-SLOT very soon(in homebrew 3d part, atleast).

iball
October 19th, 2006, 09:03
PSP homebrew has more variety? WTF?
No it doesn't! It's nothing more than a slew of the same old LUA code "re-typed" with someone elses name in it or the sprites changed around. The rest are emulators trying to do what teh DS does naturally: GBA ROM emulation.
I don't see anything the likes of MegaETK or ArcoMage on the PSP at all.
As far as costs to run homebrew...it's about the same, really, although the DS can be the cheaper solution in the long run.

Cap'n 1time
October 19th, 2006, 11:41
I think there are many reasons why PSP has better apps.

At first it has more ram. That GUIs/OSs which PSP has, are clearly impossible on NDS.

yes its got pretty graphics i guess, but does it have the ultimate OS? Linux? i think not. DS linux is seeing plenty of useful (not pretty) apps. In that aspect the DS still beats the hell out of the psp for me. Thats not to say that if psp ever sees a linux port it wont be good.. but at the time of your writing it doesnt have one and the future looks grim for all the people that talked about it a year or so ago... DS HAS THE ULITIMATE OS! All the psp seems ot have is a bunch of shells (some that look better than the others) that all seem to do the same things. OMG MP3 playback and this little app and this pictur viewer! IRshell is a work of art, but it is no match for the mighty Linux OS.

Kraton
October 19th, 2006, 18:01
PSP owners says that PSP is better,DS owners says that DS better,Both PSP and DS owners says DS is better.

masterpaul
October 19th, 2006, 18:38
This is useless. We just going in circles.