PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 for PS3

wraggster
October 16th, 2006, 20:17
YDL v5.0 is slated for release mid-November with support for the Sony PS3 first, and support for the former Apple PowerPC product line to follow. Any updates required to support the Apple PowerPC systems following the release for PS3 will be made available via a free download.

More Info -- > http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/delivery.shtml

mavsman4457
October 16th, 2006, 23:25
This is all that really matters for me for PS3. This is a dream come true and now we won't have to use that stupid XMB. Not to mention we can have ridiculous software and wow this completely opens up the usage of the PS3. Now we can put some emulators on it; the classics: SNES, NES, GB/GBC, GBA, Genisis, and maybe even some new ones: gamecube and xbox. This also makes it so we can put a LocationFree emulator on there if there isn't already LocationFree built into it and we can pretty much do whatever we want with the PS3 now. Now the PS3 to PSP connectivity won't just be limited to updated firmwares but we can incorporate it into homebrew also. This is the only thing that matters to me about PS3. Thank you Sony!!!

Cap'n 1time
October 16th, 2006, 23:43
Hmm, I dont see any real linux users supporting this machine as it goes against everything the linux community stands for.. I'll let you figure that out.

mavsman4457
October 17th, 2006, 01:18
I'm not sure I know what you mean but I think you're talking about the low key, select few kind of attitude that Linux is only for the "smart" people. If that's what you're talking about then I don't think that will be a problem as many PS3 fans and video game fans will support this and write new programs for it if necessary.

tsaikimon
October 17th, 2006, 03:59
I would love to see the Xbox Media Cener (homebrew) ported to the PS3 through this linux....yum

NoQuarter
October 17th, 2006, 04:10
Is yellow dog what it's shipping with or is the ps3 actually open to other distro's?
Hopefully no more of that stupid RTE garbage that was PS2 linux!!
EDIT:
Hmmm....
I guess you will be able to install it yourself.
It is a good way to get linux into more homes.

mavsman4457
October 25th, 2006, 16:57
I just have some questions that probably no one can answer but you can think about them. If you have Linux on board your PS3 does the XMB still coexist with it? If so then is it safe to upgrade to the latest firmware knowing that you can play any homebrew you want on Linux? Hopefully Linux has full access to the PS3's power and not just user mode or something.

Darksaviour69
October 25th, 2006, 17:01
Hopefully Linux has full access to the PS3's power and not just user mode or something. i doubt it will what would stop developers selling"ps3 linuxX" games with out paying anything to sony

mavsman4457
October 25th, 2006, 21:42
i doubt it will what would stop developers selling"ps3 linuxX" games with out paying anything to sony

Not all PS3's will have Linux and the games would not get as much advertisement if they were for Linux. They wouldn't be able to market their game as a PS3 game so people would get confused and not even give it a second thought.

Darksaviour69
October 25th, 2006, 22:33
Not all PS3's will have Linux and the games would not get as much advertisement if they were for Linux. They wouldn't be able to market their game as a PS3 game so people would get confused and not even give it a second thought.

you could say the same for dreamcast commerical homebrew, but only 10 million were made and are still being made/sold 5 years after its "death"... the ps3 would have a bigger market!

No, i'm pretty sure sony won't let that happen ( it would be sweet if they did)

Cap'n 1time
October 26th, 2006, 09:15
Ok the reason behind the linux comment I made above was this.

1) Sony is an evil, large corporation. The linux community has never cared for that too much.

2) It's almost certain this will be some ****ed up Sony twisted version of linux (not illegal, but totally lame)

Also the other problem being that probably the first thought many people have had is (OMG IM GOING TO COMPILE X EMULATOR) and as sony isnt a real good friend of either nintendo or sega thoes companies may very well go after them.. but who will they be going after? no, not the ps3 hardware, linux, thus providing sony with a sheild (it isnt our fault, its the users type thing). I see this as Sony Abusing the opensouce community and the yellow dog crew either falling into their stupid little trap, or selling out. Also keep in mind it is about 100x more likely that nintendo will go after other consoles emulating its older library of games due to the wii's up and coming ability to purchase and play its older games.

irongiant
October 26th, 2006, 11:58
Ok the reason behind the linux comment I made above was this.

1) Sony is an evil, large corporation. The linux community has never cared for that too much.

As soon as you type crap like that i don't bother reading the rest of you post. Evil? Get real.. just as evil as Microsoft, Nintendo and any other huge company that has shareholders to appease and profits to make. It's just as bad as the idiots who keep typing M$ when mentioning Microsoft.

October 26th, 2006, 12:39
...I see this as Sony Abusing the opensouce community and the yellow dog crew either falling into their stupid little trap, or selling out...

Selling out? Get real mate, their not selling out. They've got their big chance and they've taken it. Whats wrong with the money they're going to make?

And screw what the Linux community stands for, its one of the worst on the internet.

Cap'n 1time
October 26th, 2006, 13:06
Selling out? Get real mate, their not selling out. They've got their big chance and they've taken it. Whats wrong with the money they're going to make?

And screw what the Linux community stands for, its one of the worst on the internet.

The linux community is becoming one of the fastest growing and most productive communities of all time. It has been confirmed by people smarter and more intelligent then you or I that technology produced for or with the linux ideals in mind are changing the face of the earth [for the good] and how we see technology. The only reason one would say somthing like "screw them and what they stand for" is due to the fact they they have no idea how much it actually does effect technology, business, and yes even commerce.

As soon as you type crap like that i don't bother reading the rest of you post. Evil? Get real.. just as evil as Microsoft, Nintendo and any other huge company that has shareholders to appease and profits to make. It's just as bad as the idiots who keep typing M$ when mentioning Microsoft.

you are sort of twisting my words, but not on purpose. When I say "evil" it is with the idea that proprietary software is "evil". Its often used in more of a humor sense than a literal one. (see googles famous slogan "Don't Be Evil".

Linux, while a very useful tool of the corporations at times, hasn't done to well in the past when they officially team up with them. A great example of that being novell's hook up with suse. As for the sell out statment, I cant remember what point I was making but really what there isnt much to putting together a distrobution. What really separates the distributions is management, and having a tight community. Thats what has made Debian and now Ubuntu king.

October 26th, 2006, 13:19
The linux community is becoming one of the fastest growing and most productive communities of all time. It has been confirmed by people smarter and more intelligent then you or I that technology produced for or with the linux ideals in mind are changing the face of the earth [for the good] and how we see technology. The only reason one would say somthing like "screw them and what they stand for" is due to the fact they they have no idea how much it actually does effect technology, business, and yes even commerce.

Haha productive community? "DOWN WITH M$" "d00dz m$ is liek bad" "linux is teh sexorz"
By the way, I'm not denying its a good OS, I've used it plenty before, I'm just saying some of the community are complete idiots.

Darksaviour69
October 26th, 2006, 13:22
I'm just saying some of the community are complete idiots. I think you can say that about every community...

but i agree with CAPTAIN AWESOME, Linux is becoming more popular and rightly so

Cap'n 1time
October 26th, 2006, 14:02
Haha productive community? "DOWN WITH M$" "d00dz m$ is liek bad" "linux is teh sexorz"
By the way, I'm not denying its a good OS, I've used it plenty before, I'm just saying some of the community are complete idiots.

In that respect, I agree, but that is the portion of the community that are under the age of 14 and know very little about anything. And forgive me for twisting your words but you said something along the lines of screw everything they stand for. even the morons that stay stupid shit like "DOWN IWHT M$ DOOD!" are (without their actually knowing so) standing for something that is ultimately good on a global scale. Sadly the more intelligent community doesnt take the time to explain to these more uneducated masses (the ones you are refering to) why linux is more than just a os, but a global movment... and also that using alpha numeric slang is retarded and is destroying the internet :p