PDA

View Full Version : psp ghetto joystick

joesnose
October 17th, 2006, 00:00
hello,
i just carried out my first psp hardware mod, i love racing games and ever since i got my psp i couldnt beleive how unresponsive the thumb nub was. I opened it up once with a veiw to adding a steering wheel but i couldnt work out how to wire it. Then last week i read an article about Benjamin Heckendorn "porting", hacking, a ps2 analogue stick onto his psp. That was it Ben showed me the light, although he just wired it and had the wires hanging out, i didn't like this so i added a mini usb type port to my psp and a mini usb connector to my stick, this makes it detachable and adds scope to making different addons (steering wheel). Thanks to Benjamin Heckendorn, without his schematics i wouldn't have been able to do this, now my psp feels whole.

I'm including some photos and a link to a video i posted on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFtJ7MVdQdA

thanks for your time.

Joe Stranger.

Screens Below

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/ghetto psp.JPG

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/joydev.JPG

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/joyusb.JPG

Video_freak
October 17th, 2006, 00:01
That's sick dude! :eek:

joesnose
October 17th, 2006, 00:03
thanks, it works like a charm.

kcajblue
October 17th, 2006, 00:30
old news.

Cloudhunter
October 17th, 2006, 01:14
old news.
Old news? He's posting his own mod :rolleyes:

Cloudy

kcajblue
October 17th, 2006, 01:17
Old news? He's posting his own mod :rolleyes:

Cloudyyes, old news. he just posted something that someone has already done.

JKKDARK
October 17th, 2006, 01:23
Anyway, I never saw it :)

joesnose
October 17th, 2006, 02:57
yes, old news. he just posted something that someone has already done.

lol

kando
October 17th, 2006, 03:15
yes, old news. he just posted something that someone has already done.

WRONG! he has turned a ghetto, rigged up, ugly, open, unsecure proof of concept, and turned it into a permanant hookup, actually functioning easier than the original one invented.

so no, this isnt old news.

and joe, this is amazing. i wonder how you got the usb port there? im sure u messed w/ the casing but how did you get the actual port?

cheers!

joesnose
October 17th, 2006, 03:23
i wonder how you got the usb port there? im sure u messed w/ the casing but how did you get the actual port?

cheers!

Its just used as it fittted in the small space availiabe, its not the psp's usb its not usb at all. Its just a usb style plug and socket used to connect the ps1 controller to the psp'p analogue controller.

kando
October 17th, 2006, 03:24
Its just used as it fittted in the small space availiabe, its not the psp's usb its not usb at all. Its just a usb style plug and socket used to connect the ps1 controller to the psp'p analogue controller.

well im pretty damn impressed, thats one hell of a great mod!

when you goin into business =p

AtariFreek
October 17th, 2006, 04:56
This Is SWEEET!

ICE
October 17th, 2006, 05:00
man that took some work. nice job............. wish i had one..........

BL4Z3D247
October 17th, 2006, 05:12
yo that's the nicest analog stick mod ever, nice job!!

TacticalBread
October 17th, 2006, 06:24
That's awesome. How long did it take to do that? Could you post a tutorial somewhere? I would like to do that. :D

razorak
October 17th, 2006, 06:34
ooo....that looks handy :)

ACID
October 17th, 2006, 06:50
I still think it looks very ugly regardles of what it is used for.

Gene
October 17th, 2006, 06:59
please make us a tutorial. i would love to make one of those.

eloyluna
October 17th, 2006, 07:02
Oooh Oooh Two Analog Sticks

Ghost DOG
October 17th, 2006, 07:35
Dude, you HAVE to post a tutorial!

Thats is the best mod i ever seen.

LAMPRO
October 17th, 2006, 08:00
mod of the year hands down.

its like a total gateway to soooo many options. you could hook up any controller to it. I love the sterring wheel idea, and maybe even wireless? lol.

Love the compact lil port you made.. dremel? and I noticed the contraption on the bottom of the stick, the lil L-shaped metal piece that is used to balance the stick against the siderail of the psp when its plugged in- when you analog stick pushdown too hard. lol.

THE TUTORIAL IS A MUST!! VIDEO IT AND MAKE ANOTHER YT POST!!

cant wait.......

samthegreat68
October 17th, 2006, 08:04
thats so cool. but does the original analog nub still work? i wonder how good it plays like that.

kando
October 17th, 2006, 08:13
I still think it looks very ugly regardles of what it is used for.

maybe it thinks ur ugly :p

hehe i think its dead sexy =p /shrug to each his/her own i suppose :D

Broonale
October 17th, 2006, 08:13
VERY nice!

I haven't the nerve to try something like that!

Jok3r07
October 17th, 2006, 08:15
that is awesomeness :D

JadaBloom
October 17th, 2006, 09:30
Indeed please do make a tutorial as I wanna see how complex it was and if I can do it myself I'd love to have the mod and always hated the psp's analog nub. I'm confident I can do the first part for the wiring it's just I'd like to see as to how you were able to fit the usb hub in there so flush. And also how well that brace holds up.

ACID
October 17th, 2006, 09:59
I see the use but the analog peace they sale at gamestop does the same thing. And doesnt look like a horne sticking out of the side. But like kando said to each his own.

JadaBloom
October 17th, 2006, 10:34
That's the thing man it doesn't do the "same thing". The nub that's inside of the psp is flat so when you motion with ur thumb ur moving it on a flat surface now on the other hand with a ps2 style analog stick you've got a circle in which it's sitting on giving you a 180 degrees of rotation (I think anyways) which makes it feel much much more comfortable and is much more responsive then the psp nub. Games like GTA when driving is a pain in the ass with the thumbstick this mod makes that game soooo much more enjoyable you can go this route which isn't that expensive or ala psp2tv in which you can hook up a ps2 controller which costs about $120 usd....

shrimpidy
October 17th, 2006, 11:21
its cool how he got the usb port on the side. Di u have to drill that ir cut it cus I would find that very difficult. What if u could attatch this analog stick to the other side and in games like coded arms, use it instead of the shape buttons for a second analog stick.

S34MU5
October 17th, 2006, 11:49
To get the USB on the side you have to cut the case etc. Its the same if you have the UP Modchip.

P.S You can change the controls in Coded arms to the other side cant you.....

JadaBloom
October 17th, 2006, 12:01
I dunno if you could have it on the right hand side for one the screen would get in the way because you'd hafta to do the pinouts from the nub and they're on the lower left side. Anyways it wouldn't help if your thinking about dual analog wielding type set ups since you'd have to have the keys mapped to both the d-pad and the analog nub and I don't think many commericial games support that. But it could work for homebrew say quake 2 but only if you could find a way to fit it on the right hand side which i'm sure is feaseable but might be very tricky.

aadhu
October 17th, 2006, 14:17
woah! cool!

so r u gonna post a tutorial on how to get this done by ones self?

Junior
October 17th, 2006, 14:28
Awesome! But how would you use a steering wheel there? One-handed? I'm left handed, but even I wouldn't know how to handle a steering wheel with just one hand all the time.

But anyway, please go public with the specifics of this MOD. I know I'll never get this done myself, but if you go all out on this, perhaps even professional workshops offering to MOD consoles and what not will take a look at this and make it work for their customers.

jerrt
October 17th, 2006, 15:01
i think it is a super clean mod, and ben heck is the man for helping us with this. now if we can just figure out how to rig a similar attachement system to another analog stick on the right hand side and have it wired to the buttons to use with coded arms, that would be amazing.

dipswitch
October 17th, 2006, 15:19
That is a sweet mod! I would love to see a tutorial and give this a try. So the thumbstick works and you just have the contacts jumpered to the usb type connector so that you just plug in the wired ps2 analog stick to bypass the tumbstick control? Brilliant. Pinouts please? :D

Aj_Phoenix
October 17th, 2006, 15:56
yeah thats pretty cool! this is just a thought but would it be possible to have onne of those plugs on the other side so u can have it play like hallo controls for any gun game? maybe get a smaller stick an be able to "sucktion attach it) in that blank space under the triangle square and x-bottons! do u think that could possible work maybe even just by plugin it in to the usb already there? Once again wut u did is awsome!

klisejo
October 17th, 2006, 16:09
So simple. SO Genius.

Apoklepz
October 17th, 2006, 16:50
Ghetto Shmetto...That mod is sweet! Great job, man. I'm looking forward to a video or a photo step by step...if you ever bother to make em. :) Cheers!

grit
October 17th, 2006, 17:12
Pretty good stuff!! :) Great Mod!

Make a DIY tut ASAP!!

Malksta
October 17th, 2006, 17:37
Wicked! :p

Vega
October 17th, 2006, 18:08
Very nice.

masterpsp2.6
October 17th, 2006, 18:10
i wanna make one

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
October 17th, 2006, 18:16
Lol!!!!

steven1980cad
October 17th, 2006, 19:41
Looks like you have done a fantastic and neat job modifiying your psp.

Not sure i would be brave enough to drill and cut into my psp though.

Great Work.

dipswitch
October 17th, 2006, 20:30
Here is a link to the original mod on Endgaget that has the pinouts. Just add usb connectors inbetween.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/10/how-to-analog-control-stick-for-your-sony-psp/

joesnose
October 17th, 2006, 22:27
sorry i had a go at a picture tutorial, but my camera is not upto it the parts are realy small.

Basically read the link above,i foloowed bens instructions but added a usb socket . I had to cut away some plastic and rubber inside the psp to get the usb socket inside, i got the socket off an old camera.

The best part of this mod was fitting the usb mini plug directly to the analogue stick, which i got off a ps1 pad.

If you take the analogue stick apart and remove the little button, the one for where you push the analogue stick, with a little dremmling you can fit a usb plug( which i shortened with the dremel)in the space where the switch was.

Theres also two little holes where the switch was, you can pull two wires from the usb plug through each of these holes, solder them to your ps1 analogue controller.

Put the ps1 stick back together, theres two little tabs which held the switch in placebend them down so they touch your usb plug and solder them.

Plug it in and test it, then think of away to brace it. I cut some alluminium and stuck it to the sides (look in the pics on the first page). Good luck

Note: I used a ps1 analogue stick and its rotated through 90 degrees so the wirings a little different from Bens tutorial.

i hope this helps anyone who wants to try this out, the controller is great especially on racing games.

Tonx_9
October 18th, 2006, 01:21
wow thats awsome!

Kvonx
October 18th, 2006, 01:52
ONE word....well 2, naw 3 TOTALLY SICK DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

kiahconnor
October 18th, 2006, 03:06
I could so do that. I just don't want to, thats all. Honest. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact I'd probably end up with a pile of sony brand parts instead of a psp when I'm finished.

Jility
October 19th, 2006, 12:44
He boy...you did a great work there. Im now going to work one out for me. I got one question. I saw the new youtube video

http://pspupdates.qj.net/The-Ghetto-Stick-A-minor-update/pg/49/aid/69875

and i wonder why the black thing around the stick fits so well. it looks like if its made for the psp...caqn you tell me what exactly it is.

Zhank you for your great work!!!

joesnose
October 19th, 2006, 13:29
He boy...you did a great work there. Im now going to work one out for me. I got one question. I saw the new youtube video

http://pspupdates.qj.net/The-Ghetto-Stick-A-minor-update/pg/49/aid/69875

and i wonder why the black thing around the stick fits so well. it looks like if its made for the psp...caqn you tell me what exactly it is.

Zhank you for your great work!!!

the shell is made out of something called milliput, which is like plastacine but it sets rock hard then its sprayed black

Jility
October 19th, 2006, 22:45
OK dude....now I got everything I needed...I gonna try this freaking shit out. Tell you when I made it.

Zankz again!!!

joesnose
October 20th, 2006, 00:36
OK dude....now I got everything I needed...I gonna try this freaking shit out. Tell you when I made it.

Zankz again!!!

let us know how you get on, message me if you need any pointers.

gymnotropic
October 21st, 2006, 22:09
Would you mind trying to make a fully(or almost at least) functional PS2 controller hookup? By that I mean with a port so that you can remove the controller when you want to.

Edit: Post a tutorial if you do it. :D

joesnose
October 22nd, 2006, 00:40
Would you mind trying to make a fully(or almost at least) functional PS2 controller hookup? By that I mean with a port so that you can remove the controller when you want to.

Edit: Post a tutorial if you do it. :D

thats beyond me dude, involves more than just wire and solder, mico controllers? theres 9 pins on the playstation controller plug and at least 16 buttons, i dont get it! i didnt work out the schematics on this one it was Ben Heckendorn, look here: http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/10/how-to-analog-control-stick-for-your-sony-psp/

Evader15
October 24th, 2006, 03:01
Joe, Thanks for giving me the inspiration. I have come so close. i spend over 4 hours tonight i got an xbox controller i am willing to use a PS1 controller if that is how you knw it works and fits with the mini usb. i have everything... i just cant seem to find out how you got that usb end to fit so nicely on your joystick, please just let me know... i have decent soldering skills and am willing to drill as i too love racing games and i am hating the slider ... pics of the inside would probally do it, i too was following the how to on engadget, i havent gotten to the psp yet even after more than 5 hours! i have ran into problems. let me knw please respond you can PM me, email me, if you have AIM PM me your adress i have some ideas i would like to share with you and maybe we can work together to make some of our ideas come togehter and work, let me know thanks
^sorry for long post lol

kando
October 24th, 2006, 03:14
well i have a few de-soldered ps2 analog parts....its not easy soldering the jumpers and the cables, so now im experementing with putting the analog switch on a pcb board and just using a circuit writer to make the jumps....

i cant seem to get inside a mini-usb end far enough to solder my own wires in tho, not as easy as i thought it was gonna be, so i guess ill just have to do it ghetto first, and then work on a usb connector...

if you wanted to go into business, you would just have to sell a new faceplate w/ the chiseled out spot already done, usb hooked up to the analog stick. then just sell the addon.

/shrug ill keep ya posted on my progress!

Evader15
October 24th, 2006, 12:32
kando, i kinda have the problem you have also.. my solder skills are decent and all i can see is a tiny end where the odl wires were soldered.. my wires area a bit big .. and i want to do iti like joe did where the usb was actually kinda in the ps1 analouge bc then i can just mount it right up.. joe let me know i know its only been a night but i want to do this today! lol i will get my hands on a ps1 controller i hope! so that you can help me do it the way you know how. i also have a xbox controller that loooks like the same thing so le tme know ineed some help!

Evader15
October 24th, 2006, 15:40
after re reading the post you had about trying a pic tutorial.. did you leave the same wires that ewre already on the usb connector? then just pull them through to get it up to the controller> if so how did you know which wire went to which thing? so when i plug it in the wires connect in the right way

Evader15
October 25th, 2006, 01:07
i got soo much further! i got the whoel analog wired up and the usb mounted in the stick... then i move onto the psp... got it apart.. then i try soldering up the wires to the circuit board... of course they have to be soo small and close to gehter i hat ethat lol.. well i got them all but one and the usb connecter slid off the table with the wires connected and the third down pin on the circuit board came off!!! so i looked up the new ones on ebay for a new analog assembly.. about 15 shipped from ebay.. ok thats fine but not at this moment... so i took some CA Tire Glue from my nitro rc's... and i solderd up the wire then glued down the pin thingy onto the circuit board.. its drying.. i hope this works!.. the hole is lined up good .. i just need this to work.. and if it doesntr work and my slider works then i didnt do hte usb right .. so untill Joe helps me out on how to wire up the usb's so they connect right i will be done with this project... and i will get a new board! lol .. i hate soldering! i got my good soldering iron with a pointed tip working.. and then i break the darn board.. i was using crap long and hard to use ones.. this is intense lol.. joe let me know

Evader15
October 25th, 2006, 02:42
CRAPPY!

it came back off.... this is terrible i just orderd a new analog assembly for 20$ and my parents wont let me continue in this adventure... so im screwed.. .bc now i have two slits where the wires came through for hte test! crappy!

kcajblue
October 25th, 2006, 03:35
Evader15, please dont double post. use the edit button.

joesnose
October 26th, 2006, 16:34
CRAPPY!

it came back off.... this is terrible i just orderd a new analog assembly for 20$ and my parents wont let me continue in this adventure... so im screwed.. .bc now i have two slits where the wires came through for hte test! crappy!

dude , im sorry i havent checked out this thread for a few days, it had gone kinda quiet. I'm sorry to hear your folks stopped our project.

Evader15
October 26th, 2006, 22:41
ha its back on lol... i would like to know how you wired uip the usb ports? i am doing it!.. but i cant figure that out.. if i dont figure it out then im goign to go with the beef jerky can mod by ben as i can get the header out of an old computer i am pretty sure

joesnose
October 26th, 2006, 23:32
this is the inside, i had to cut away some plastic to get the usb port to sit flush against the inside of the face.

i had to cut some plastic from the dpad and some rubber from the "rubber thing" lol

Evader15
October 26th, 2006, 23:48
thanks, but my question is.. how did you know how to wire up the usb port? like which wire goes where? can you make me a diagram?

joesnose
October 27th, 2006, 00:21
thanks, but my question is.. how did you know how to wire up the usb port? like which wire goes where? can you make me a diagram?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/10/how-to-analog-control-stick-for-your-sony-psp/

you have to turn the joystick through 90 degrees, but its basically the same.

added a very basic tutorial with some pictures.

joesnose
October 27th, 2006, 00:34
heres my latest mod, i changed the position of the memory stick access led. ooooh tiny LED's.

Evader15
October 27th, 2006, 00:51
no i mean ok here is the usb on the controlller

(-) that plugs into [-] now the [-] goes in the psp.. my [-] has 5 little things (the things you solder wires to) that were on a circuit board.. on my (-) i have 4 little things not 5.. i don tnkow how to wire this up.. i might jsut go the ic socket way as i have all these parts right now.. let me know
thanks... i think i might do that led mod thats pimp.. did you just get another led and wire it in the same wire as the mem stick? i like how it flashes lol sweet i did LED mod's on my xbox too

Evader15
October 27th, 2006, 01:16
that picture of the controller wiring.. you do that yourself? bc thats not what i have i dot think and i followed ben's

ferds108
October 27th, 2006, 01:25
I have just started on this project too. I have the analog and male usb assembly complete. I managed to solder four wires on the psp analog. When I stuck the wires out the hole I made for the usb port, and put the faceplate on, everything worked fine. I tried to put the usb female connector inside the faceplate, but it is just too big. I'm going to modify it.

By the way, your "picture tutorial" has WAY too small pictures, I can't see what the heck is going on.

Evader15
October 27th, 2006, 01:55
ya abotu the tut i didnt say anything.. congrats on your success.. he said to get hte usb in there you ahve to cut into the d pad. could you tell me how to wire up the usb connectors? like which wires go where? if not im goign to do the jerky can with the IC Socket bc i understand it lol

joesnose
October 27th, 2006, 18:27
By the way, your "picture tutorial" has WAY too small pictures, I can't see what the heck is going on.

dont the pics get bigger if you double click them?

And i had to modify the port to get it to fit and i still had to cut some plastic from the inside of the psp, the black bit of plastic the button contacts are on.

joesnose
October 27th, 2006, 18:32
could you tell me how to wire up the usb connectors? like which wires go where? if not im goign to do the jerky can with the IC Socket bc i understand it lol

i used a multi meter to find out wich wires were which.

that picture of the controller wiring.. you do that yourself? bc thats not what i have i dot think and i followed ben's

i used bens pic but turned it through 90 degrees, although i cant remember exactly if that is right but i do know that side of the analogue controller needs to face the psp for the usb mod.

Evader15
October 27th, 2006, 19:50
i htnk im going to try and combine bens and yours.. i don thave a multi meter so i am going to ue the IC socket and header.. but im thinking of glueing the ic socket header to the edge of where that button was on teh analog.. how comfortable is just the joystick? i kinda liked bens bc it was kinda like a handle too.. let me know

dont the pics get bigger if you double click them?

And i had to modify the port to get it to fit and i still had to cut some plastic from the inside of the psp, the black bit of plastic the button contacts are on.

thank you lol.. they sure do get bigger! would never of foudn that one lol nice job.. uhm yeah so i just omunted my ic socket in the faceplate.. letting my tire glue set in.. then putting psp back together make sure it goes right.. then back apart tomm. bc my analog assembly didnt come today for some reason so if it's not here tomm. i dont know what is goign on i ordered it like tuesday shipped wednesday 2-3 day shipping so saturday is the max which is tomm. , k well me and my bro started over on the jerky can.. looks much nice now.. i got the hole for the stick to actually kinda look lke a hole lol.. now i kinda wish i had a few extra faceplates :] ahah so i could get a cleaner cut on that... it took em a while to get use to my new cutting disc's for the dremel they are bigger and fatter.. i liked my super skinny ones lol... well back to my movei the white squall lol its on showtime.. ha i keep rambling on over nothing.. ahah.. ill post up some pics tomm. night on how this all goes.. i hope this hting works.. a lot of thing's ive done lately havent worked so this should be one that will lol.. especially bc that 99 cent beef jerky can turned into about 7 dollars worth of them lol.. i had to buy a couple more htan it said (i messed up a lot lol) i got one extra now only if that crap tasted good i would of been in a feast mode but i gave it all to my dog except that unopened one lol... ok im done rambling on..

joesnose
October 28th, 2006, 01:55
im looking forward to seeing your mod, good luck.

Evader15
October 28th, 2006, 02:51
AH HA! got it in and it seems to be a small small gap in between the two cases but it shuts and the ic socket plugs in there... still cant test without an analog assembly lol.., anyway one problem... oh.. yeah. on my d pad.. the left arrow is stiff like i have to push it HARD! all the other ones work fine.. that one is stiff.. that would be the one up against the ic socket i can take pics if needed im not on the rubber though i did cut the rubber a little off the dome... let me know

joesnose
October 28th, 2006, 14:18
give us a pic.

Evader15
October 28th, 2006, 15:52
you know how to fix the d pad button? i havent had time thi morning... i will open it up again once i get my new analog assembly which should be TODAY! lol.. ill get the pic about 11:30, its 10:50 right now.. check back joe, you got a AIM MSN or Yahoo adress? for instant messaging if you do PM it to me , thanks.

Evader15
October 29th, 2006, 00:51
Forgot pics.. but i turned it on today to put a few movies on sense i cant play any games bc once again my analog didnt come! ergh! it should definatly be here on monday.. so i was going to copy some movies over, i don thave any analog assembly in there right now.. and i turn it on.. i CANT move to the left in menu or at all the left d pad button did not work at all.. so i took it apart about 3 times trying to get it to work again... i had to run the last wire A on ben's tut all the way around the whole d pad circle then it works its still mass stiff... like i have to hold psp with both hands (like normal) and press rather hard... this is annoying .. any ideas why?

Update:

I took the ps1 controller and took out the button rubber. took out that dome cut it in half put it in the center of my dome on the one.. kinda like a spacer... worked perfect but up is left and down is left.. lol.. so i took it back out.. cut it in half again.. arrange it to be to the complete side of the psp.. now only down is left and left is left.. so now im goign to take it apart one more time.. hope this works

Evader15
October 29th, 2006, 17:53
im taking my friends rubber out of his psp d pad and going to have to start over, bc the dome sliced open... darn! HOPEFULLY he can find his psp lol.. he doesnt use it,

mavsman4457
October 29th, 2006, 19:16
I have a few questions about this. I am looking into someone doing it for me because I am not quite capable of this kind of thing. Is it a great improvement over the normal analogue stick? Does it handle like a PS2 analoogue stick? It doesn't require any firmware altering does it? Are there any negatives that you see to this? Thanks.

joesnose
October 29th, 2006, 19:28
I have a few questions about this. I am looking into someone doing it for me because I am not quite capable of this kind of thing. Is it a great improvement over the normal analogue stick? Does it handle like a PS2 analoogue stick? It doesn't require any firmware altering does it? Are there any negatives that you see to this? Thanks.

on most games the controller is absoloutly fantastic, some games have a massive deadzone, i guess this is to compensate for the analogue nub being crap, and basically uses the nub in an almost dpad kinda way. on those games its not so good, but mostly its fantastic. i hardly ever take mine off. And its a pure hardware mod.

mavsman4457
October 30th, 2006, 00:44
And on the games that it isn't so good I can just remove it and use the normal analogue stick? If I am using the addon and I accidentally bump the normal nub will it affect the play at all or is the nub rendered useless when the addon is plugged in?

Festizzio
October 30th, 2006, 07:54
I should try this

joesnose
October 30th, 2006, 11:44
And on the games that it isn't so good I can just remove it and use the normal analogue stick? If I am using the addon and I accidentally bump the normal nub will it affect the play at all or is the nub rendered useless when the addon is plugged in?

you can just unplug it, the nub still functions at all times.

mavsman4457
October 30th, 2006, 20:04
With the combination of a firmware mod, could this be used as a right analog stick?

That_PSP_Guy
October 30th, 2006, 20:06
yo Joesnose I willbe completing mine tomorrow. Thanks for the helper tutorial. I have almost all parts. I was going to use a small connector from one of my radio shack micro monster trucks. (headlight assembly) as it is small and requires no cutting of the dpad at all. I will let you know this week how it turns out. I am also going to get a bracket machined. If there was any way you could send me the specifications or a drawing of it would be great. btw you know me as SooperGooman

joesnose
October 31st, 2006, 02:14
supergooman, my bracket is nothing special, thats why i called it ghetto, just aslong as it braces the stick against the psp body.
And about your plug i dont nknow what its like but the great thing about the usb one is it kinda clips into place , holdin the stick in, i found this has been helpful.

mavsman4457
October 31st, 2006, 03:38
Joesnose, any possibility in using this as a right analog stick and putting it on the right side?

joesnose
October 31st, 2006, 17:16
Joesnose, any possibility in using this as a right analog stick and putting it on the right side?

you definately couldnt put another analogue stick on the right as games or psp arent coded for it, you could make a mod that looked like an analogue controllerthat interfaced with the buttons.

mavsman4457
October 31st, 2006, 20:31
Well I wasn't referring to using it for actuall PSP games but, although I know it would be a rigorous task, I was more talking about modding the firmware and using it in homebrew like the PS1 emu. Also, if anybody wants this mod but does not know how to do it I am getting mine fixed by a guy named Legodude. He fixed my Palm Zire 72 once before so I trust him. I am getting the beef jerky mod and I can't wait for it. The beef jerky one looks a little bit more sturdy and looks like it would be less awkward to play with than the smaller mod. I may ask for both though who knows.

mavsman4457
October 31st, 2006, 21:30
In your original post you talked about making a steering wheel for the PSP but you said you couldn't figure out the wiring. I think this would be an awesome idea. Where would the steering wheel go? What would it look like? Are you still looking into it? I would probably purchase it depending on the price.

joesnose
October 31st, 2006, 23:37
In your original post you talked about making a steering wheel for the PSP but you said you couldn't figure out the wiring. I think this would be an awesome idea. Where would the steering wheel go? What would it look like? Are you still looking into it? I would probably purchase it depending on the price.

Im still working on it,im not sure of positioning, i wont be selling though.

mavsman4457
November 1st, 2006, 02:37
Please post any updates on this, I am very curious to see what happens.

mlcurly16
November 1st, 2006, 02:54
Looks hillarious, but I bet it works wonderfully. Where can I get me one of those? :P

Hobobo
November 1st, 2006, 07:59
Woah, that's pretty cool :D

joesnose
November 2nd, 2006, 02:43
it works realy well the first one works best.http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/joesnose/joystickMkIandMkII.jpg

kando
November 2nd, 2006, 02:47
i tried rigorously for 4 days before finally scrapping the project...solder loves to jump and combine pins on me, and it got frusterating =(

joe lemme kno if u ever decide to mod faceplates and sell those analog sticks....shoot me a pm, i'll be placing an order immediatly :D

mavsman4457
November 2nd, 2006, 04:04
it works realy well the first one works best.http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/joesnose/joystickMkIandMkII.jpg

Those aren't the steering wheels that you're working on right? They just look like normal joysticks.

joesnose
November 3rd, 2006, 00:44
Those aren't the steering wheels that you're working on right? They just look like normal joysticks.

they are joysticks, the wheels work in progress.

TrowaX
November 7th, 2006, 06:45
Hey josenose i got a question when you open up the metal casing on the analog piece on the bottom you removed the black clicking button did you have to cut off the front of metal the holds the button together before you can place in the Mini USB Plug. thanks in advance :D

Oh and a few more questions when you open up the metal casing at the bottom of the analog did you keep the spring and black piece then reassemble it or you removed it and re placed with your Mini USB Plug. can you also tell me the semantics for the Mini USB to the analog in terms of the color and the Lettering Positioning. ex. A=Red B=Black C=White D=Green and would it be the same wiring order on the other end of the Mini USB Jack to PSP analog Stick. THANKS. Sorry for the bad english

Avi
November 7th, 2006, 09:13
hey joesnose.. for the second joystick that you made what was the specific controller that you used? like the brand and was it a ps1 controller or a ps2 controller?

mavsman4457
November 8th, 2006, 00:26
The guy that is doing this mod for me said that he is having a bit of trouble and that the controls are "flakey," what does this mean and how can he fix it?

TrowaX
November 8th, 2006, 04:16
maybe he is having problems putting it together. The pieces are very very tiny and there is like no room to put all the parts in so that might be the problem. :D "flakey" that might means it is not possible to make the mod ? "Fakie"

Avi
November 8th, 2006, 10:31
Has anyone tried to do this with a N64 controller? Ive just had a look at mine and coming from it are 6 wires. It has 1 white and then 5 blue after it. I think the 1 white and 3 blue ones next to it are the 4 prongs that would connect to the psp joystick. Can anyone confirm?

joesnose
November 8th, 2006, 16:46
Hey josenose i got a question when you open up the metal casing on the analog piece on the bottom you removed the black clicking button did you have to cut off the front of metal the holds the button together before you can place in the Mini USB Plug. thanks in advance :D

Oh and a few more questions when you open up the metal casing at the bottom of the analog did you keep the spring and black piece then reassemble it or you removed it and re placed with your Mini USB Plug. can you also tell me the semantics for the Mini USB to the analog in terms of the color and the Lettering Positioning. ex. A=Red B=Black C=White D=Green and would it be the same wiring order on the other end of the Mini USB Jack to PSP analog Stick. THANKS. Sorry for the bad english

i had to cut off the metal that was holding it in place and i had to make the gap slightly wider.

i put all the jotstick back together exept for the little black button.

as for the wiring it realy depends on where you solder to inside your psp.

joesnose
November 8th, 2006, 16:50
hey joesnose.. for the second joystick that you made what was the specific controller that you used? like the brand and was it a ps1 controller or a ps2 controller?

it was a madcatz controller, i think its called retro controller, its about the size and shape of an old nes controller.

joesnose
November 8th, 2006, 16:52
The guy that is doing this mod for me said that he is having a bit of trouble and that the controls are "flakey," what does this mean and how can he fix it?

im not sure what he means, maybe its the game hes playing, some games seem to compensate for the nub by having a huge deadzone, both my sticks feel alot better than the nub!

joesnose
November 8th, 2006, 16:55
Has anyone tried to do this with a N64 controller? Ive just had a look at mine and coming from it are 6 wires. It has 1 white and then 5 blue after it. I think the 1 white and 3 blue ones next to it are the 4 prongs that would connect to the psp joystick. Can anyone confirm?

it should work fine and but has no button to remove, the place where the button was is a good place to put the usb plug. the wiring should be the same as for the ps2 stick, chech out bens tutorial here:http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/10/how-to-analog-control-stick-for-your-sony-psp/

TrowaX
November 8th, 2006, 18:30
Does anyone know where i can pick up the Mini USB Jack and Plug from any store. This is the only reason my project is on a halt i tried searching at radio shack but no luck so far. I asked for searching the Digi-Key H2985-ND but there seems to have no parts with the Code :(. I live in Canada THANKS IN ADVANCE :D

joesnose
November 8th, 2006, 22:53
Does anyone know where i can pick up the Mini USB Jack and Plug from any store. This is the only reason my project is on a halt i tried searching at radio shack but no luck so far. I asked for searching the Digi-Key H2985-ND but there seems to have no parts with the Code :(. I live in Canada THANKS IN ADVANCE :D

i know you can get them online.

TrowaX
November 9th, 2006, 01:57
umm... i don't really use online for ordering stuff so is there any other place ?

Avi
November 9th, 2006, 05:16
it was a madcatz controller, i think its called retro controller, its about the size and shape of an old nes controller.

mm that doesn't help me much.. you see the psp is my first sony console and the only other console ive had was the n46 which doesn't help me much either. i guess im asking if its specifically a ps2 controller, and its specific name because ill be searching for it on ebay and other sites.

joesnose
November 9th, 2006, 11:39
umm... i don't really use online for ordering stuff so is there any other place ?

you could try finding a rubbishy second hand digital camera with the port on it.

mavsman4457
November 9th, 2006, 20:29
This is really being a pain. when I close up the PSP, the PSP joystick is really hard to work. I'm having a hard time figuring out why, I checked everything. I don't know why, it might be the USB port I used, maybe the wires inside crossed but other than that everything looks good.

Could you offer him any help?

joesnose
November 9th, 2006, 22:18
Could you offer him any help?

does he have skype?

mavsman4457
November 10th, 2006, 01:17
I'm not sure if he has skype but it is not very productive to have a middle man so would you mind contacting him via AIM or email? He is [email protected] or on AIM he is legodude89522. That would be a great help. Thank you so much.

Edit: He does have skype and his account name is Legodude522 buts he says he doesn't have internet access in his room at the moment so he might not be on as much. So if you could email him that would be awesome.

Edit2: Just curious, would this mod make it more difficult to install a mod chip?

TrowaX
November 10th, 2006, 21:03
I have a device and it seems to have a Mini USB Jack at the end of it will it work. I opened it and the Jack is solder right into the circuit board with no wires seen anywhere so would 1 have to lead my own wire.:D

joesnose
November 11th, 2006, 03:40
I'm not sure if he has skype but it is not very productive to have a middle man so would you mind contacting him via AIM or email? He is [email protected] or on AIM he is legodude89522. That would be a great help. Thank you so much.

Edit: He does have skype and his account name is Legodude522 buts he says he doesn't have internet access in his room at the moment so he might not be on as much. So if you could email him that would be awesome.

Edit2: Just curious, would this mod make it more difficult to install a mod chip?

ill mail him.

i dont see it interfering with the mod chip as it is realy only modding the faceplate.

joesnose
November 11th, 2006, 03:41
I have a device and it seems to have a Mini USB Jack at the end of it will it work. I opened it and the Jack is solder right into the circuit board with no wires seen anywhere so would 1 have to lead my own wire.:D

should work, i had to solder wires to my port.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/joesnose/12.jpg

findol
November 11th, 2006, 14:36
hey joe can you upload/send me a tuturial with some close up shots? i downloaded 1 earlier but the pics were way 2 small, Anbd how did you make the cool mounting unit?

thanks

nice mods btw!

joesnose
November 11th, 2006, 23:17
hey joe can you upload/send me a tuturial with some close up shots? i downloaded 1 earlier but the pics were way 2 small, Anbd how did you make the cool mounting unit?

thanks

nice mods btw!

if you double click the images they should enlarge

findol
November 12th, 2006, 00:19
yeh they do its jus i need a photo of the usb wiring. i have all wires soldered to the analouge stick. and i have the usb ready

could you send a pic of the usb male and female wiring?

thanks

findol
November 12th, 2006, 00:26
also joe how did you make thatsweet casing for the madcatz version of the stick???

thanks

findol
November 12th, 2006, 01:20
also could you make like a template for the mounting and upload it that would be smart

cheers

mavsman4457
November 12th, 2006, 05:17
OK Joe thank you very much. He estimated that it would be done in only a couple of days and it's taken almost two weeks. I'm kind of getting anxious so if you get any updates from him could you post them here too?

Avi
November 12th, 2006, 12:23
@findol: for the casing he used Milliput which is used to patch up leaks in drains in stuff. Works really well.

joesnose
November 12th, 2006, 12:56
yeh they do its jus i need a photo of the usb wiring. i have all wires soldered to the analouge stick. and i have the usb ready

could you send a pic of the usb male and female wiring?

thanks

im sorry dude, i was never planning on a tutorial i didnt realy take note of which wire went where, i wired the nub to the female usb, then plugged the male one in an used my multimeter to find out which was which. i used this tutorial from ben heck:http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/10/how-to-analog-control-stick-for-your-sony-psp/
but i had to turn the controller through 90 degrees so the side where the switch was faced the psp

joesnose
November 12th, 2006, 13:02
also could you make like a template for the mounting and upload it that would be smart

cheers

the mounting on the ghetto stick is just two peices of aluminium cut from a bracket from the inside of a pc, and a whole lot of hotglue, ghetto.

joesnose
November 12th, 2006, 13:10
OK Joe thank you very much. He estimated that it would be done in only a couple of days and it's taken almost two weeks. I'm kind of getting anxious so if you get any updates from him could you post them here too?

i got an email from your friend, hes having problems when he puts the psp back together the psp analogue nub stops working properly, i did send him some pointers, im not entirely sure of the problem myself, what are your friends qualifications or what made you choose him?

mavsman4457
November 12th, 2006, 16:23
I chose him because he fixes people's Palm Pilots and I sent mine in to him and he fixed it up for me. I really hope he gets this done without any problems. Thanks for talking to him.

findol
November 12th, 2006, 17:09
hey joe, if i sent you all the parts

the joystick and psp joystick and some cash will you make the mod for me as i am having no sucess atall :(

please pm or post

findol
November 12th, 2006, 19:05
bump

joesnose
November 12th, 2006, 22:26
hey joe, if i sent you all the parts

the joystick and psp joystick and some cash will you make the mod for me as i am having no sucess atall :(

please pm or post

im happy to advise you, but thats all

findol
November 12th, 2006, 23:05
not even for cash?

i cant manage to wire the usb and i am scared to solder onto the stick. i have a spare stick from my old psp.

and a analouge stick thats already disabsbled that just needs wires which i would also send,

its just it looks ace and i dont no what to do.

would you sell the madcatz stick? and a mini usb female socket as you said you didnt like the madcatz version?

thanks

psp modding noob - findol

joesnose
November 12th, 2006, 23:24
not even for cash?

i cant manage to wire the usb and i am scared to solder onto the stick. i have a spare stick from my old psp.

and a analouge stick thats already disabsbled that just needs wires which i would also send,

its just it looks ace and i dont no what to do.

would you sell the madcatz stick? and a mini usb female socket as you said you didnt like the madcatz version?

thanks

psp modding noob - findol

like i said im happy to advise, cash sucks, the madcats one is less sensitive than the ps1 controller but it still rules over the nub im not willing to part with it.

i can point you in the right direction online if you need a usb port.

Avi
November 13th, 2006, 11:37
i would actually recommending finding the cheapest piece of crap possible on ebay with a female mini usb plug and just getting that. easier than going to a store.

cuteboy_15
November 14th, 2006, 22:01
Hey.. I'm starting with the external analog joystick.. Its easy, but hard to find the usb port connector (type B), the female one, not the one with PS2 joystick, get it?? If I have the parts or the accesories, i can do it for you guys.. But, the price is right hehe..lol.. Thats all folks.. :thumbup:

joesnose
November 14th, 2006, 23:38
nvm

cuteboy_15
November 15th, 2006, 23:06
By the way, thanks to your advise Joesnose.. I combined your idea & Ben's.. Now im using it.. I think I'll share it to my friend, no cash hehe.. What I sad before, I'm just kidding hehe.. So thats all my friend.. Thanks, again.. :thumbup:

ajwf
November 16th, 2006, 20:59

you have to turn the joystick through 90 degrees, but its basically the same.

added a very basic tutorial with some pictures.

Errr...I cant see the pics properly...

kando
November 16th, 2006, 22:15
joesnose where can i get the male and female usb pieces with leads already coming out of it?

joesnose
November 16th, 2006, 23:27
joesnose where can i get the male and female usb pieces with leads already coming out of it?

the male is off a usb cabe and already has the wires connected and i dont know where to get a female usb with wires connected, without wires you can get them from acidmods.com, and free help and advice too.

joesnose
November 16th, 2006, 23:29
Errr...I cant see the pics properly...

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/joesnose/wiring_stick_2_engadget_howto.jpghttp://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/joesnose/pcb_connections_psp_engadge.gif

these are Ben hecks pics bfrom the engadget tutorial

joesnose
November 16th, 2006, 23:39
rotate it through 90 degrees

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/joesnose/wiring_stick_2_engadget_edit-1-1.jpg

Avi
November 17th, 2006, 06:54
Really? I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up.

PSPlayer1990
March 4th, 2007, 18:59
hi togheter! This is my first post here! English is not my favorite language^^, so don't be angry if there are mistakes....
my question: how did you make this usb slot for the joystick?

nicky66
March 31st, 2007, 17:35
hi, i just did a similar mod, but strangely i notice a big loss of sensibility when the stick is plugged :confused:

i mean even controllong with the nub shows a loss in the amplitude, and when i unplug the stick, it's all fine again,

anybody noticed?

wiredforpower
April 1st, 2007, 02:44
wow, awesome

mouse1010
April 12th, 2007, 01:29
this is such an awsome mod i gonna start on my psp this weekend

steve520
April 12th, 2007, 01:50
thats freakin sweet mod old or new

mouse1010
April 12th, 2007, 03:42
does anyone know where i can buy a mini usb socket? preferably a type b thanks

The 80s Man
April 12th, 2007, 04:21
I don't know if there is a Dollar Tree dollar store in youre area. but where I live Dollar Tree has all kinds of USB extention cords for only one dollar including type B.

mouse1010
April 14th, 2007, 04:30
thanks but a frient of minr had a dead camera that he gave to me.