PDA

View Full Version : Today's Best Dreamcast Games

wraggster
October 17th, 2006, 18:01
Via Slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/17/1257255)

Retrogaming with racketboy has up an interesting feature, a piece intended to discuss the best and most relevant Dreamcast games (http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/10/best-dreamcast-games-for-today-top.html)available today. Not intended as a 'top ten list', his goal is to suggest titles that will resonate with gamers of today who are likely to own other consoles. By suggesting titles that haven't been topped by further works, or that may have been the basis for other popular games, he's hoping that today's gamers will still stop and play the classics once in a while. From the article:

"Not only is the gameplay in Jet Grind Radio compelling and unique, but the audio and visual qualities stand up extremely well to today's standards. First of all, the graphical style hits you like a brick in the face (in a good way) with its well-executed cel-shaded models and landscapes. Jet Grind Radio was one of the pioneering games in the cel-shading movement before mainstream games like Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker made it popular for cartoon/anime-style games. The Jet Grind Radio soundtrack is also one of the most popular gaming lineups of all time featuring an array of eclectic songs combining the musical genres of J-pop, Trip-hop, Hip-hop and Electronica. This is one game that is not done justice on TV speakers -- you should definitely try to hook up some decent speakers in order to experience it at its best."

mesosade
October 17th, 2006, 18:13
can i just mention something if anyone has yet to own a dreamcast i suggest buying it and then buy toy commander. why? because it's what made me fall in love with games ALL over again

JKKDARK
October 17th, 2006, 20:06
can i just mention something if anyone has yet to own a dreamcast i suggest buying it and then buy toy commander. why? because it's what made me fall in love with games ALL over again
you bought one of the worst dreamcast games. Poor you..

SSaxdude
October 17th, 2006, 21:30
JGR is my favorite Dreamcast game ever. I've beaten it 3 times and replayed many levels.

Masta-G
October 18th, 2006, 09:05
I have two games top ranking for my dreamcast.
Sonic Adventure 2 - Bought the 10th Aniversary Birthday pack, simply the best Sonic game ever. Unfortunaly it only got ported to the Gamec00b, would luv to see it on the PSP alltough I doubt the psp could handle the graphics and speed of sonic going down the city on his snowboard:P

And of course Shenmue2.. I never liked RPG's, especially not the fantasy and myth/magic crap but Shenmue 2 got me going every day I came home from school. It gets better and better the further you go... what an awesome story:)

JKKDARK
October 18th, 2006, 20:18
Best Dreamcast games for me:
Shenmue, Shenmue 2, Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, Grandia 2, Resident Evil Code: Veronica, Worms World Party, Skies Of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Shuffle, Alone In The Dark: The New Nightmare

ToxieDogg
October 18th, 2006, 21:57
you bought one of the worst dreamcast games. Poor you..

I love Toy Commander, me. :)

One man's meat is another man's poison, I suppose.

Personally, I'd plump for:

1) Toy Commander
2) Crazy Taxi
3) Crazy Taxi 2
4) Jet Set/Grind Radio
5) Grandia 2
6) Skies Of Arcadia
7) Power Stone
8) Power Stone 2
9) House Of The Dead 2 (when played with the official gun)
10) Seaman (for the sheer comedy value)

I know a couple of those games exist on other formats but it just feels 'wrong' playing them on anything other than a DC. And the Power Stone games demand a big screen, not a titchy handheld one ;)

There's plenty of other DC games I'd highly recommend too, (ie Ecco: Defender Of The Future) but those were just the first 10 that came into my head.

Accordion
October 18th, 2006, 22:49
Rez!!!!!!!!!!

JKKDARK
October 18th, 2006, 23:02
Rez!!!!!!!!!!
oh yeah, this is a nice game. I got it this year :)

curt_grymala
October 19th, 2006, 01:47
Ummm.....

What about Soul Calibur?

I do enjoy JGR, but Soul Calibur and PowerStone would most likely be my top two.