View Full Version : Can you use VB to make DC games or any games?

ßüboni¢ $oñic
October 18th, 2006, 16:57
If there is an issue with it can you use VB in conjuction with Windows CE? :confused:

BlueCrab
October 18th, 2006, 17:11
Well, one, unless you have a license from Microsoft, you aren't allowed to use the Windows CE Devkit (Windows CE is not on the Dreamcast itself, its just an option that some game developers used).

Second, I'm pretty sure there's no way to even use VB in conjunction with that Windows CE devkit (I can't know for sure, since I've never actually used/seen it).

Also, this is probably better suited for the Dreamcast Development forum anyway....

ßüboni¢ $oñic
October 18th, 2006, 23:04
why cant u use it in conjuction? cant u make it on a pc then port it?

Smurph
October 18th, 2006, 23:53
why cant u use it in conjuction? cant u make it on a pc then port it?

BECAUSE THE WINCE DEVKIT IS WAREZ. Unless somebody wrote a VB compiler for DC (which is quite frankly not worth the effort), you won't be able to release any homebrew written in VB.

You've been told this so many times, not to mention other warez related crap, I seriously hope you get banned.

fackue
October 19th, 2006, 02:51
BlackAura is working a a Basic compiler (I haven't heard anything about it in awhile as he's most likely busy with school or GenesisPlus).

It's not VB but it's Basic. Can't be too different I don't think.

Smurph
October 19th, 2006, 06:08
BlackAura is working a a Basic compiler (I haven't heard anything about it in awhile as he's most likely busy with school or GenesisPlus).

It's not VB but it's Basic. Can't be too different I don't think.

VB is easier.

fackue
October 19th, 2006, 06:35
Not by too much, I took a look at the source to Selfboot and Selfboot Inducer which are programed in Basic. The only thing that I noticed was different mostly was that you needed to program the GUI yourself.

Smurph
October 19th, 2006, 12:26
Not by too much, I took a look at the source to Selfboot and Selfboot Inducer which are programed in Basic. The only thing that I noticed was different mostly was that you needed to program the GUI yourself.

That's still easier than BASIC.

BASIC is console-only, and has been around for at least 30 years. It is also extremely limited. I'd go into more detail, but I'd be late for my 8AM english class.

quzar
October 19th, 2006, 14:58
VB is nothing like BASIC. I know both. VB is more like java than it is BASIC. Either way, what BA was looking into writing an interpreter for a BASIC derivative, almost all of which are much much more powerful than BASIC.

If you've ever written a program in both, it is obvious why they are different (mostly because of the reasons you would use each). VB is designed entirely to be used for rapid application development, and the whole system is made to be put together gui-backwards. Being as such, the language is event driven, where you put the visual objects first, then define the events linked to them later.

Smurph
October 19th, 2006, 16:50
VB is nothing like BASIC. I know both. VB is more like java than it is BASIC. Either way, what BA was looking into writing an interpreter for a BASIC derivative, almost all of which are much much more powerful than BASIC.

If you've ever written a program in both, it is obvious why they are different (mostly because of the reasons you would use each). VB is designed entirely to be used for rapid application development, and the whole system is made to be put together gui-backwards. Being as such, the language is event driven, where you put the visual objects first, then define the events linked to them later.

Exactly.

fackue
October 19th, 2006, 21:29
I must be thinking of a different basic then, since there's like 10 different Basic styles. Maybe burnerO used QBasic, I don't know. All I know is the Basic burnerO used wasn't too terribly different from VB because it actually made sense and the functions were mostly the same except for a few of them. I think this is what BlackAura is aiming for.

MikeDX
October 19th, 2006, 21:40
you can use fenix on the dreamcast, that's a good start.

Atari
October 22nd, 2006, 05:23
you can use fenix on the dreamcast, that's a good start.

And there's plenty of information about the technical aspects of Fenix and setting up a dev environment at http://atari.vg-network.com. I'll be adding info on how to use structs there pretty soon, now that I pretty much have them figured out *BIG smiles*

ßüboni¢ $oñic
October 24th, 2006, 17:08
BECAUSE THE WINCE DEVKIT IS WAREZ. Unless somebody wrote a VB compiler for DC (which is quite frankly not worth the effort), you won't be able to release any homebrew written in VB.

You've been told this so many times, not to mention other warez related crap, I seriously hope you get banned.i diddnt know it was warez u stupid bitch. im just asking because chrono 11867 or w/e thought it might work.

quzar
October 24th, 2006, 17:16
i diddnt know it was warez u stupid bitch. im just asking because chrono 11867 or w/e thought it might work.

You really need to watch yourself. You've already been temp banned once.

That being said, wtf?! who is chrono 11867??? nobody by that name has posted in this thread and you sure hadn't mentioned anything about this person previously.

BlueCrab
October 24th, 2006, 19:43
That's quite enough. Using foul language and insulting other members of the forum is not allowed.

TOPIC CLOSED