PDA

View Full Version : The Delay of Sonys GPS, Camera and PSone Emu Part of the PS3 Masterplan

wraggster
October 18th, 2006, 19:09
Some of our pals at other PSP sites today have for want of a better work analysed and in my opinion got it wrong about where the GPS, Camera and the PSOne emulator for the PSP are.

Yes September/October was the original dates but from what i can see with the announcement of downloadable games including the likes of PSone games via the PS3 that its all being launched within a 2 week window.

The tiff exploit i would think will be patched although knowing Sony not hard enough to stop homebrew, funny but are they really anti homebrew ?

They do enough to satisfy game companies but not too much to kill it off for good ?

But anyway lets see if im right.

Anyone got a view on my post above or their own opinion, then post via comments.

Thomly
October 18th, 2006, 19:17
I don't get it. What's Sony doing?????

YourStillWithMe
October 18th, 2006, 19:19
i dont think it is a big deal at all to wait for the psone emulator, gps, and the psp to ps3 connectivity the longer we all wait the better and less glitchy everything will be. Plus, it will be also easier to get because it would be in production longer. Ex-the x360 was hard to grab because it wasnt in production too long and it was sold so high on ebay because of this.

And how is Sony not Anti Homebrew? they create updates that are useless 1.51, 2.01, 2.71 those are just "security patches." They don't really add anything new to the user other than 1.52 allowed us to watch music UMD's. I love Sonys lineup of games for the psp recently Tiger Woods andNBA Live 07 are much more impressive then last years sports games. They have stepped it up in the games a bit but now they need to stop being lame. For god sakes, the Wii is prehomebrew compatible n64, sega, nes, and snes hoembrew all ready to go! (I just dont want a Wii because i think the commercial games are gonna stink and i own all those systems and run all that stuff on my psp)

Jonesyxxiv
October 18th, 2006, 19:19
Thats an interesting idea, but it might be that Sony is trying to kill homebrew but the homebrew scene just has some of the best coders in the world.

Shuin0
October 18th, 2006, 19:20
It's Sony the delay's are always gonna be there. But I think wraggster is rigth about them not trying to kill off homebrew. Sony would be stepping on their own feet if they killed homebrew forever.

Kaze Darkwind
October 18th, 2006, 19:22
i think they are anti homebrew...to a point, personally ive never heard anyone on this site being threatend by sony to stop making homebrew or theyll get sued, i could be wrong but i havent seen any. im wondering though because if they stop making firmware to prevent homebrew and make the PSP "open source" is it possible for sony to get sued because theres nintendo "systems and games" per se on a competitors console? probably why they have to implement anti homebrew to at least show that they are doing something againest this.

NoQuarter
October 18th, 2006, 19:30
I truly believe sony would like to support hombrew, it increases sales of thier systems.They just don't want to do so publically as it would alienate their licensee's.

Hence the half hearted security fixes :)
The psp is the biggest homebrew scene ever!

Jonesyxxiv
October 18th, 2006, 19:31
well if they do do this purposly maby we should let ppl know, because they might stop it. :D

splodger15
October 18th, 2006, 19:38
i always thought they may do something like this

NoQuarter
October 18th, 2006, 19:39
@Kaze Darkwind:
I don't think they could be sued for having an open source system,just as OS and computer manufacturers can't be sued just because it's capable of running something.
I really think the issue is more related to maintaining a large licensee base.

Sony makes alot of money on those licenses ;)

jaydoo
October 18th, 2006, 19:39
Sonys official line is undoubtedly anti-homebrew but there must be an element within the company who feel pride in creating a machine thats being used in ways they hadnt intended.

As for the exploits, I do wonder if there was someone there who knew about it but chose to leave it there.

On another note, how was the GTA exploit really discovered, surely some insider info?

NoQuarter
October 18th, 2006, 19:43
For goodness sake, the 1.0's ran unsigned code!!
What does that say?
Yarozee,PS2 linux and PSP running unsigned code,there's the evidence.

kando
October 18th, 2006, 19:51
gp2x runs all homebrew, including emulators, and they arent being sued by anyone....

NoQuarter
October 18th, 2006, 19:56
@kando:
Although there are some issues over the GPL with that company.Another case of not releasing source :(Don't know if they have taken care of this yet though.

I also think it is part of sony's plan to create an incentive to make homebrew users buy a second psp by increasing the security drastically when the PS1 emu and PS3 are released.
They stand to lose some money if people don't buy those reissued PS1 downloads

Shrygue
October 18th, 2006, 19:59
I wished Sony would give up trying to destroy homebrew. The updates they release with all those "security patches" are no good to anyone -unless someone goes around the beat and decrypts the package so that we can emulate it using Device Hook.

Let's see what happens next when firmware version 3.0 is released.

SnesR0X
October 18th, 2006, 20:01
most people would never buy a second psp, they would just stick with their homebrew one. I wouldn't shell out another 200 bucks, but that's me. anyway, eventually when the psp dies out, they'll have homebrew for frekin everything, and who'll be laughing then?XD

NoQuarter
October 18th, 2006, 20:04
Alot of people will actually buy second psps,I've actually considered it.

kando
October 18th, 2006, 20:08
but if those ps1 downloads are anywhere over 5 bucks nobody is gonna buy em, they gonna buy the game on ebay or at eb-games or funcoland and just rip it :/

how much money can they really make off them?

Cloudhunter
October 18th, 2006, 20:24
All you have to look at is what one of the major uses for homebrew is, and you get why Sony seems anti homebrew.

While ISO's are continuing to being used, Sony will consider homebrew a threat. Thats what it comes down to in my eyes.

Cloudy

Basil Zero
October 18th, 2006, 20:31
i think sony's using the homebrew scene as a backup.... until the psp can hold itself....until than, their gonna keep making updates, and when they do finish making updates...i'm sure homebrew will be allowed....than again i could be wrong.

ExcruciationX
October 18th, 2006, 20:42
i think sony's using the homebrew scene as a backup.... until the psp can hold itself....until than, their gonna keep making updates, and when they do finish making updates...i'm sure homebrew will be allowed....than again i could be wrong.
I don't feel like typing anything, so I will just say, 'Agreed". :)

valar
October 18th, 2006, 20:43
All you have to look at is what one of the major uses for homebrew is, and you get why Sony seems anti homebrew.

While ISO's are continuing to being used, Sony will consider homebrew a threat. Thats what it comes down to in my eyes.

Cloudy

i agree with this.homebrew iso loaders ,thats what sony doesn't like

DraconumPB
October 18th, 2006, 20:48
@YourStillWithMe:
"For god sakes, the Wii is prehomebrew compatible n64, sega, nes, and snes hoembrew all ready to go! (I just dont want a Wii because i think the commercial games are gonna stink and i own all those systems and run all that stuff on my psp)"

Mind you what the Wii supports is NOT necessarily homebrew (although they may also support that) but basically the Virtual Console option is for playing old console games which is not necessarily the same as homebrew... in other words, that doesn't mean we'll be able to use ROMs out of the box or anything - but an eventual homebrew developer might provide that option.

DraconumPB
October 18th, 2006, 20:53
i agree with this.homebrew iso loaders ,thats what sony doesn't like

Also keep in mind that people buying PSPs for homebrew purposes only (and say, a few used UMDs) actually costs Sony money, because consoles are usually more expensive to make than they are to buy (including shipping, marketing, development, and materials). At the very least even if it doesn't cost them money, they make little to nothing on the console itself; the money is made in selling software which is very cheap to produce outside of the development costs but sells for 20-40 bucks (US) apiece.

Also people that refuse to upgrade firmware can't play new games, and don't buy them anyway as a result. So Sony is also kind of screwing themselves in the end, because even while people playing homebrew gives people something to do outside of playing official games (and probably makes people less likely to buy them because they can get enjoyment out of emulators and other homebrew, at least a little bit), those same people will either not buy new games, or furthur modify and hack the system to be able to do both (AND/OR use ISOs which can always cross the firmware barrier it seems.)

Cloud_35
October 18th, 2006, 21:57
Can I say something without being banned...?

(Wathever)

:mad::mad:**** YOU, SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

benn
October 18th, 2006, 22:07
The tiff exploit i would think will be patched although knowing Sony not hard enough to stop homebrew, funny but are they really anti homebrew ?

They do enough to satisfy game companies but not too much to kill it off for good ?

:eek: finally someone talks some sense. i have been saying this for months. Sony KNOW that homebrew sells consoles. have no doubt that with their resources they could close ALL holes in PSP in one firmware - but how would that really benefit them? sure they lose game sales through warez but how many more machines do they sell via people talking about homebrew etc? i know that all of my mates have only bought their psp cos of the emulators etc they have seen running on mine.

Roxas
October 18th, 2006, 22:10
Can I say something without being banned...?

(Wathever)

:mad::mad:**** YOU, SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

Likewise Cloud,But Most of the psp site just write watever shows up on other site n stuff but never read the full article. Not that im trying to put down DC Emu but watever show up u guys copy n paste wat u like. But never wat is real.

P.s Lol there goes this acc to the ban list. tehe

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
October 18th, 2006, 22:39
hmmmm....does anyone here know if you must have a ps3 to download ps1 games for the ps1 emu???

pspuser123
October 18th, 2006, 23:30
@NOquarter
dude sony would like to allow homebrew on psp
but runnin unsigned code on the psp can lead to a homebrew bomb.

**1_Man_Matrix**
October 18th, 2006, 23:56
I think they'd love to stop ISO LOaders. But apart from that It's all business & profit for them.

He's right but, they don;t have enough time to release the promised goods int eh window they said they would... Never know but.

Vega
October 19th, 2006, 00:10
Wraggy... either I have had too much to drink.. or the grammer is abit f***ked up in that main post! :D I get what your saying dude...but man.. grammer :D

Broadus
October 19th, 2006, 01:22
Wait, so you have to own a PS3 in order to use the PS1 emulator for the PSP?

YourStillWithMe
October 19th, 2006, 01:30
broadus-Probably not dude, but uhh why arent you getting a ps3 anyway? The ps3 really does separate the men from the boys "It's too expensive" wah wah wah I'm sure there will be a way around it dude, there always is a way around everything.

masterpsp2.6
October 19th, 2006, 04:10
i hope someone is going to make the ps1 emulator soon,,,i wanna see it fast and with sound!!

samthegreat68
October 19th, 2006, 07:27
Alot of people will actually buy second psps,I've actually considered it.
i bought a second psp from my brother for 100 bucks!

and i hope taht you dont have to have a ps3 to use the ps1 emu on the psp or something stupid like that!

Ghost DOG
October 19th, 2006, 08:59
I'm going to buy another psp.
I want a 1.50 and a 2.71+

Yes i know i could just get dark alex's custom firmware or just use dev hook(i've used them both)
but i'd rather have 2 psp's. Thats just me

YourStillWithMe
October 19th, 2006, 14:53
I have 2 psp's and i plan on keeping them both at 1.50 incase i drop and break one i mean we've come so far in the scene we always think we're screwed when a new firmware comes out but we've always been ok and we are up until now its just another obstacle we can handle it the real question is Are You Patient???

MicroNut
October 19th, 2006, 15:14
Whatever the reason for the delay it doesn’t mean anything really...

You know Sony isn’t just going to open the magic gate to homebrew.

You know they will patch any exploit they can that allows piracy.

You know the GPS and Camera are real.
I want a GPS but the last thread I read here was very luke warm towards either of them.

The PS1 Emu from Sony.
This would be a huge feature for Sony's PSP
An Emu from them would truly have the best chance at quality.
IF and when it comes from them just be very grateful.

Lots of change once the PS3 launches.

Enjoy the ride.