PDA

View Full Version : Reality Boy

kando
October 18th, 2006, 19:58
http://www.goliathindustries.com/vb/download/emu/rboy_082_src.zip

i'll donate $20 usd to anyone who can port this over and let me get closer to completing my psp/console museum =p

MikeDX
October 18th, 2006, 20:04
Ok I'll give this a go but you'll need to help me if you know what I mean ;)

wraggster
October 18th, 2006, 21:27
does the psp have allegro libs ?

i thought virtual boy emus required allegro

MikeDX
October 18th, 2006, 21:38
It was built with allegro.

To port virtualboy properly i'd have to code some sprite scaling routines or hook them up to the GU.

Anyways, after about an hour I'm down to a handful of errors before I get an eboot. I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

brainpan
October 19th, 2006, 00:11
Oh please oh please :)

kando
October 19th, 2006, 00:21
woot mike thanks for making an effort! im hopin for the best! =)

psiko_scweek
October 19th, 2006, 01:31
cool, a VirtualBoy emulator would be great! even though the games suck. lol.

MikeDX
October 19th, 2006, 01:45
Ok its way past my bedtime. I have an eboot, my best assumption at this point is that it will run, but no controls or video are hooked up yet so you wouldnt see anything anyway.

MikeDX@RWLAPTOP3 /c/devkitPro/mike/rboy_082_src/psp
$ ls
EBOOT.PBP fakealleg.o makefile.bak v810_cpu.o vb_set.o
PARAM.SFO inflate.o realityboy.elf vb_dsp.o vb_vbt.o
cp_io.o makefile unzip.o vb_io.o

brainpan
October 19th, 2006, 02:50
Good job bedtime boy. I'll pony up some $$$ too when a realease that has controls, visuals, and play a commmercial game is available.

The Hombrew Hunter
October 19th, 2006, 02:52
So why won't anyone make one for the DS!?

If any dedicated C ore C++ coders here could port a PSP version...I would love you forever.

I'm not waiting for a PSP for this!

quzar
October 19th, 2006, 02:55
Ok its way past my bedtime. I have an eboot, my best assumption at this point is that it will run, but no controls or video are hooked up yet so you wouldnt see anything anyway.

MikeDX@RWLAPTOP3 /c/devkitPro/mike/rboy_082_src/psp
$ ls
EBOOT.PBP fakealleg.o makefile.bak v810_cpu.o vb_set.o
PARAM.SFO inflate.o realityboy.elf vb_dsp.o vb_vbt.o
cp_io.o makefile unzip.o vb_io.o

you do realize that if you disregard the i/o, the emulator is portable without changes right? 99% of porting i/o changes.

kando
October 19th, 2006, 04:37
Good job bedtime boy. I'll pony up some $$$ too when a realease that has controls, visuals, and play a commmercial game is available.

mike u can make some dough over this if you can get it up and running ^_^

you would be up there w/ NJ and Dark_aleX!

=O

MikeDX
October 19th, 2006, 10:16
you do realize that if you disregard the i/o, the emulator is portable without changes right? 99% of porting i/o changes.

yes and no - of course I know its portable, I've just been working through the code, changing parts where necesarry to get a psp-gcc compatible source tree. You certainly would not compile it out of the box, a working knowledge of allegro, c++ and devkitpsp are essential to even begin to get this to work.

I had to fake certain allegro headers to get this to compile, and I still have a handful of warnings that I'm not happy with, even when a correct psp makefile was created. It's very portable on allegro platforms and has makefiles for win32 dos and linux but nothing on others.

Still loads to do though, wouldnt expect to see anything for a while.

MikeDX
October 19th, 2006, 10:18
So why won't anyone make one for the DS!?

If any dedicated C ore C++ coders here could port a PSP version...I would love you forever.

I'm not waiting for a PSP for this!

I suspect the DS is way too underpowered for this.

quzar
October 19th, 2006, 14:50
I suspect the DS is way too underpowered for this.

Im pretty sure the PSP is way too underpowered for this.

psiko_scweek
October 19th, 2006, 15:29
that may be, but it will be fun to say that almost every Nintendo Handheld is emulated on the PSP, much like it is fun to say that the Jaguar is emulated on the PSP. (though it is slow as dirt)

MikeDX
October 19th, 2006, 15:38
Im pretty sure the PSP is way too underpowered for this.

If you think what I'm doing with it is a waste of time you should just come out and say it.

psiko_scweek
October 19th, 2006, 16:53
i dont think thats what he is saying...

MikeDX
October 19th, 2006, 17:11
LOL!

Judging by what i currently have on the screen (a garbled mess) maybe that's my best option.

Still not sure it this is meant to be easy or not :|

quzar
October 19th, 2006, 17:30
The thing about it is that it uses a set of allegro functions for screen drawing that are really weird. (i'm speaking from experience, I got it running but not ported to the dreamcast as well ;) ) It's really hard to rewrite those functions properly into a software rendering system. Of course it's possible, just a tricky mess. Then on top of that the processor used in the virtual boy is REALLY powerful. I'd say that it would take more time to run the processor emulation as it is now than the n64's processor with dynarec.

That and the renderer in virtualboy isn't really friendly to fast emulation on a 3d system. All that being said, it shouldn't be TOO big a horrible pain to just get running, but making it run with any speed...well...

MikeDX
October 19th, 2006, 17:56
I guess the only thing I have on my side then is that I am happy with allegro functions - which weird as may be, at least I know about the bitmap structure.

I know its running, and its even calling my replacement bitmap functions (seems thats all it uses from allegro really)..

Tempted to rewrite those drawing functions as the ones provided with the emulator don't do it any justice at all!

kando
October 19th, 2006, 19:28
amazing that such a simple looking system can be so complex...

its great to see you're makin more progress mike! :D

Strangler
October 19th, 2006, 19:37
I really doubt the vb had a fast processor considering it was released way back in 95 on top of it only costing like 180 bucks. Anyway red dragon is alot better of a virtual boy emulator than reality boy, so why not port that instead? Or even better do what the gba emu creator did and make one from scratch. And to the people who say it had no good games you never played virtual boy wario land, possibly the best wario land to date.

psiko_scweek
October 19th, 2006, 19:46
Red Dragon is just a beefed up version of the Realityboy emulator. I think writing one from scratch without allegro would be the best option. but who would want to do such a thing?

quzar
October 19th, 2006, 19:52
I really doubt the vb had a fast processor considering it was released way back in 95 on top of it only costing like 180 bucks. Anyway red dragon is alot better of a virtual boy emulator than reality boy, so why not port that instead? Or even better do what the gba emu creator did and make one from scratch. And to the people who say it had no good games you never played virtual boy wario land, possibly the best wario land to date.

It's not that the processor was fast, just hard to emulate. Most of the NEC V* processors are.

brainpan
October 19th, 2006, 20:01
Well, I am here for you MikeDX. Maybe this thing wont ever be running fast but who cares. I support homebrew for homebrew sake. If only more PEOPLE would show support for those that try to tackle the mountains. If we didnt try the things we think are hard we would not be any where. Look at StrmnNrmn! I understand people wanting to show their concerns for a project they THEY believe might not work but they should quit trying to sink the ship. After a while it just gets old.

psiko_scweek
October 19th, 2006, 20:16
brainpan, its one coder talking to another coder. He is not trying to be a downer or say that it cannot be done, he is just stating that it will be hard and not as easy as MikeDX may have thought it was at first.

quzar
October 19th, 2006, 20:18
Well, I am here for you MikeDX. Maybe this thing wont ever be running fast but who cares. I support homebrew for homebrew sake. If only more PEOPLE would show support for those that try to tackle the mountains. If we didnt try the things we think are hard we would not be any where. Look at StrmnNrmn! I understand people wanting to show their concerns for a project they THEY believe might not work but they should quit trying to sink the ship. After a while it just gets old.

if you think I'm not a firm believer in homebrew for homebrew's sake, you're obviously not familiar with my work. MikeDX is doing this because there is a 20$ offer, not for the sake of it. There was a topic prior to this one about the same thing, but nobody cared.

Either way, I never said that he shouldn't try, it's damn commendable, I was just discussing some of the points of this emulator and making sure nobody thought that because he had it working without I/O that that was a huge step, as I know from first hand experience, that it should be able to be done in around 20ish minutes.

MikeDX
October 19th, 2006, 20:25
I think my time is worth a damn site more than $20! What does that work out to.. about £9 after fees. whoo hoo (nbot sounding ungrateful but as I get paid to code for a living, I know what my time is worth.

I didn't see the old thread (but now I have).

I've got much better things to do with my evenings than to be a $20 coding whore.

quzar
October 19th, 2006, 20:31
I think my time is worth a damn site more than $20! What does that work out to.. about £9 after fees. whoo hoo (nbot sounding ungrateful but as I get paid to code for a living, I know what my time is worth.

I didn't see the old thread (but now I have).

I've got much better things to do with my evenings than to be a $20 coding whore.

The point was that he was bashing me by saying that I was trying to put a damper on your altruistic quest for homebrew for homebrew's sake.

brainpan
October 19th, 2006, 20:38

HA HA :)

QUZAR,It seemed as though you were trying to shoot this project down before it ever really got started and it just didnt seem like you criticism was being the least bit constructive. It's good to hear your in support though.

Also, I wasn't bashing YOU with any of my comments or nessecarily directing them towards you. Dont be so egotistical.;) It bothers me when people try and say things like "it can't be done" or are "too hard", etc. It was said that SNES emulation could not be done on GBA.
If you took offense to anything I said, QUZAR, then I am sorry.

Exophase
October 19th, 2006, 21:41
HA HA :)

QUZAR,It seemed as though you were trying to shoot this project down before it ever really got started and it just didnt seem like you criticism was being the least bit constructive. It's good to hear your in support though.

Also, I wasn't bashing YOU with any of my comments or nessecarily directing them towards you. Dont be so egotistical.;) It bothers me when people try and say things like "it can't be done" or are "too hard", etc. It was said that SNES emulation could not be done on GBA.
If you took offense to anything I said, QUZAR, then I am sorry.

I don't like it when people use SNES on GBA as an example of something that was believed impossible being done, just because the SNES emulation is far from what I'd consider "complete" emulation and thus not fair game for this (insurmountable graphics bugs, no sound, and I'm sure very few games ACTUALLY ran at literal fullspeed, when there's no sound everyone's idea of what's fullspeed goes down)

I mean, sure, a lot of emulators can be done in limited capacity. I think people want to know if they can be done with high accuracy, full sound, full speed for at least a lot of games..

But VB can probably be done decently on PSP. It'd just take much more attention than anyone would actually want to give a platform that had so few games (particularly, so few good games)..

kando
October 19th, 2006, 22:40
well im not rich myself, but its worth at least 20 usd to me as a kind of "thanks" for the work....i know that ppl usually do this kind of work for free, just to see if it can be done.

i know brainpan said he'd be willing to donate too :)

i in no way consider you a coding whore....i offered a challenge, and you were the first to be up for it :) it just shows off your true potential =)

keep up the good work, im still rootin for ya :D

psiko_scweek
October 19th, 2006, 23:16
<-- would code for $20 bucks :p eitherway, i think it would be great to have for novelty sake.

kando
October 20th, 2006, 08:23
code me a random gameboot flashing prx (flashes random gameboot.pmf out of a random folder in say ms0:\gameboot\) and id gladly pay out 20 bucks :D

psiko_scweek
October 20th, 2006, 16:05
you know that actually sounds like a good idea! eitherway, MikeDX good luck with this, oh and if you decide to quit or work on another project please release your modified sources so somone can pickup where you left off!

kando
October 20th, 2006, 16:38
i hope mike didn't give up in his post a few posts up....:(

/poke mike u still there? :D

brainpan
October 20th, 2006, 16:38
I don't like it when people use SNES on GBA as an example of something that was believed impossible being done, just because the SNES emulation is far from what I'd consider "complete" emulation and thus not fair game for this (insurmountable graphics bugs, no sound, and I'm sure very few games.. ...

I only used this example to show that things CAN be done if someone tries hard enough and didnt want anyone to discourage this fine person from trying before anything actually got off the ground. I realize that SNES emulation and GBA leaves a lot to be desired, but so does N64 on PSP. Either way I am still happy to have both available to me. But thats just me.

Anyway, good luck MikeDX.

Strangler
October 21st, 2006, 20:09
Red Dragon is just a beefed up version of the Realityboy emulator. I think writing one from scratch without allegro would be the best option. but who would want to do such a thing?

somebody with alot of time on their hands. Anyway it would rock if it worked with the solid eye or the traditional 3d glasses.

Strangler
October 21st, 2006, 20:12
I don't like it when people use SNES on GBA as an example of something that was believed impossible being done, just because the SNES emulation is far from what I'd consider "complete" emulation and thus not fair game for this (insurmountable graphics bugs, no sound, and I'm sure very few games ACTUALLY ran at literal fullspeed, when there's no sound everyone's idea of what's fullspeed goes down)

I mean, sure, a lot of emulators can be done in limited capacity. I think people want to know if they can be done with high accuracy, full sound, full speed for at least a lot of games..

But VB can probably be done decently on PSP. It'd just take much more attention than anyone would actually want to give a platform that had so few games (particularly, so few good games)..

it would be worth it for mario clash and wario land though, I mean besides the neo geo pocket, n gage and 3do what other systems are there that havent been emulated or no one is working on the psp?

quzar
October 21st, 2006, 22:22
it would be worth it for mario clash and wario land though, I mean besides the neo geo pocket, n gage and 3do what other systems are there that havent been emulated or no one is working on the psp?

there's about 20 others. i can give a good 10 examples... arcadia 2001, pippin, amiga cd, sega 32x, sega cd, CD-i, gp32, pokemon mini, gameking, and saturn.

The psp is still a baby in terms of emulation.

NoQuarter
October 21st, 2006, 22:33
If it's still a baby it sure is a child prodidgy!
If somebody can get this running I would love to have an option of using a stereoscopic viewer for an authentic VB experience :)

AtariFreek
October 21st, 2006, 23:45
Lol this thread is turning into a soap opera :D

kando
October 22nd, 2006, 04:36
well the point is that it CAN be done....someone WILL do it....will it be you? :o

yes you. im talking to you. reading this screen.

:P

Mr.Denny
October 22nd, 2006, 12:57
well the point is that it CAN be done....someone WILL do it....will it be you? :o

yes you. im talking to you. reading this screen.

:P

Who me?

Sorry i`m full of pasta and know as much of coding as changing a nappy. :p

Strangler
October 23rd, 2006, 23:15
there's about 20 others. i can give a good 10 examples... arcadia 2001, pippin, amiga cd, sega 32x, sega cd, CD-i, gp32, pokemon mini, gameking, and saturn.

The psp is still a baby in terms of emulation.

the sega cd and saturn will never be possible. Only 32x, gp2x, n gage, virtual boy, and maybe jaguar are realistically left. Besides failed consoles no one cares about like arvadia 2001 with no exclusive games.

Exophase
October 24th, 2006, 00:02
the sega cd and saturn will never be possible. Only 32x, gp2x, n gage, virtual boy, and maybe jaguar are realistically left. Besides failed consoles no one cares about like arvadia 2001 with no exclusive games.

Sega CD is much more feasible than anything else on there, especially N-Gage and GP2X which will definitely never happen.

Strangler
October 24th, 2006, 05:36
whats so hard about the ngage? didnt it have almost as low of specs as the gba? Also what about the 3do?

quzar
October 24th, 2006, 06:46
iirc the ngage has like a 100or so mhz proc. The biggest problem with it is that the hardware is pretty much unknown. I'm sure it could be HLE'd, but that's another discussion entirely.

3DO uses a lot of custom chips, and afaik the freedo project actually bought the IP rights to one of them, although I could be wrong. Basically emulation of both of those just needs to happen properly for PC first ;).

Strangler
October 24th, 2006, 13:48
so like I said, virtual boy should be the next big thing after n64/ps1/gba.

MikeDX
October 24th, 2006, 14:53
I got bored with virtualboy, so I doubt I'll be doing anymore to it. I could post the code somewhere if anybody can be arsed to continue but for me its just a pointless exercise now. I'll carry on with my wifi mod for MVSPSP ;)

psiko_scweek
October 24th, 2006, 15:58
yeah ok, toss the source code my direction, ill see what I can do about it (im not promising anything) but the least ill do is host the source code on my site so if anyone wants to continue and get this emu working they can.

Strangler
October 24th, 2006, 23:14
make one from scratch not some port. maka ea HLE, or use dynamic compiler.

Cap'n 1time
October 28th, 2006, 20:20
make one from scratch not some port. maka ea HLE, or use dynamic compiler.

O.K. should be easy as pie. I'll pull out the old ti-83 and start programming it in basic.

psiko_scweek
October 29th, 2006, 01:12
wow that would be hardcore, eitherway Mike_DX where is my source code!!!