PDA

View Full Version : PSP Pimped Joystick

joesnose
October 18th, 2006, 21:49
hi guys, i made a new joystick attachment for my psp, this ones called psp pimped joystick.

Its alot sleeker than the ghetto joystick, and as the analogue controller is taken from a third party joystick the control is not quite as smooth, it still beats the hell out of the thumb nub.

Basically this is just to let people see the progression and scope of this mod, im still working on steering wheel ideas and will let you know as soon as i get something figured out.

heres a link to the video i have posted on youtube of this new mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2vHG8QVUT8

ukbigdave
October 18th, 2006, 22:10
thats awesome man, dont suppose you wanna sell me one of those add-on sticks? :P

Great work, keep it up!

Apoklepz
October 18th, 2006, 22:11
I'll have to see this later...Youtube violates my internet code at work. But hey, I really digged your modified version of Ben's analog mod. Keep up the great work, maybe we'll have one of those PC USB controllers to play PSP in the car with soon...Hint,Hint...How about it? Just teasing ya, man...You're work is greatly appreciated.

shedeus
October 18th, 2006, 22:18
please be up for selling these along with a modding tutorial :)

Malksta
October 18th, 2006, 22:51
pwnage

spurs_fan
October 18th, 2006, 23:07
A tutorial would be great, but awesome mod though. a streering wheel would be cool too

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
October 18th, 2006, 23:19
this OWNS!!!!!

shrimpidy
October 18th, 2006, 23:22
That's a sweet mod. How'd u get it to look and fit so perfectly?

E.J.
October 19th, 2006, 00:10
Crazy :D .... still i don't understand why people hates the thumb nub so much...

MUDD
October 19th, 2006, 01:30
its cool but why for you do that ,who needs it ?
not me .i like the nub it has ,infact i wouldnt
want it any other way .kinda looked laggy ,
maybe not but thats the feeling i got from
watching real close.

anyway its nice job thats for fact.
and damn cool to.but waste for me
i likes the way it works now .

and damn man trim them finger claws.

kcc86
October 19th, 2006, 01:34
very clean mod, but its the same thing as the regular thumb nub, just placed higher. it's a good idea, but i think it ll be better if it was used on the right side so first person shooters like coded arms wouldnt be so gay with the controls.

ryoo
October 19th, 2006, 03:07
The thumb nub slides along a flat surface, while this mod pivots like a ps2 analog. Quite a different feeling.

Great mod, man. Keep up the good work.

pibs
October 19th, 2006, 03:55
crazy mod, might try this since i just right now lost my complete anolog ><

masterpsp2.6
October 19th, 2006, 04:06
where can i get directions on how to make this????

kando
October 19th, 2006, 04:38
joe you should go into business....you have excellent skills when it comes to making correct connections and sizes/shapes....i would be one of the first to buy =)

missingnoo
October 19th, 2006, 05:29
should have called it PSPimped
very nice tho.

TacticalBread
October 19th, 2006, 05:41
This is beautiful. You really should make make a tutorial.

Kramer
October 19th, 2006, 05:50
Where do the connections go to the dpad or the anolog?

spurs_fan
October 19th, 2006, 06:30
very clean mod, but its the same thing as the regular thumb nub, just placed higher. it's a good idea, but i think it ll be better if it was used on the right side so first person shooters like coded arms wouldnt be so gay with the controls.
is it possible to mod the analog stick on the right side? having two sticks would be just perfect for fps:D

pibs
October 19th, 2006, 06:54
Where do the connections go to the dpad or the anolog?
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/10/pcb_connections_psp_engadge.gif
Im thinking thats how it goes:)

Hey spurs_fan no to be mean or anything but ur sig is too big:eek: change it before u get a warning

Apoklepz
October 19th, 2006, 08:35
Wow, Joes!....Now that looks legit! ..You really gotta put up a tutorial now...Or at least put pictures from where you got all the component materials...I'd sure like to know. Haven't seen a Mod sweeter than this one. Much Respect, man! You've earned it.

Ghost DOG
October 19th, 2006, 08:38
Yea thats pretty cool, but how easy is it to use the L shoulder button??

Avi
October 19th, 2006, 10:55
Wow man good work, looks completely legit. I'd love to know which 3rd party joystick you use and what you did to make/get the compartment you put it in to make it look so slick.. thats if your willing to part with the info =P

S34MU5
October 19th, 2006, 12:56
yeh good question isnt it hard to use L?
and i was gona do sumat like that. dusnt look that hard.

joesnose
October 19th, 2006, 13:05
yeh good question isnt it hard to use L?
and i was gona do sumat like that. dusnt look that hard.

it is a little awkward using the L trigger, but you can still use it, i made this to use with racing games and they dont seem to use the L trigger much except for wipeout.

joesnose
October 19th, 2006, 13:09
Wow man good work, looks completely legit. I'd love to know which 3rd party joystick you use and what you did to make/get the compartment you put it in to make it look so slick.. thats if your willing to part with the info =P

i made another attachment using a smaller analogue controller. Then too make the shell i used some stuff called milliput, its like plastacine exept it goes rock hard, then i sprayed it black.

pt9087
October 19th, 2006, 13:57
Nice work

ugly dude
October 19th, 2006, 14:10
It is possible if you upload an Toturial. It would be fun to create a D-Pad, that would goes over the top of the PSP D-Pad, as I found that to be the most annoying part of the control.

joesnose
October 19th, 2006, 14:28
It is possible if you upload an Toturial. It would be fun to create a D-Pad, that would goes over the top of the PSP D-Pad, as I found that to be the most annoying part of the control.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/10/how-to-analog-control-stick-for-your-sony-psp/

thats a tutorial is what inspired me.

Milleniumas
October 19th, 2006, 15:13
Have you seen a psp joypad? :D I think it is fake, but I am not guarantee. Here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yOYlEFUsyk

JesusXP
October 19th, 2006, 16:16
It shouldnt be that hard guys! Take a stab at it yourself. USB has four wires, Analog stick has four wires! Take apart a two USB devices, one with a female end and a cable for the male end, then just do it up!!

I might take a stab at this too! It looks pretty sweet, just wasnt sure if im willing to wreck the PSP casing. So hopefully its not that hard to slot the female end.

joesnose
October 19th, 2006, 17:09
It shouldnt be that hard guys! Take a stab at it yourself. USB has four wires, Analog stick has four wires! Take apart a two USB devices, one with a female end and a cable for the male end, then just do it up!!

I might take a stab at this too! It looks pretty sweet, just wasnt sure if im willing to wreck the PSP casing. So hopefully its not that hard to slot the female end.

i had to cut away some of the plastic inside the psp to get mine to fit inside.

mr_nick666
October 19th, 2006, 19:02
Woah! - This is sweet :D You should sell these babies - you'd make a mint! ;) Great innovation :p

Mr.Denny
October 19th, 2006, 19:06
Woah! - This is sweet :D You should sell these babies - you'd make a mint! ;) Great innovation :p

haha I doubt he could legally sell these :p

"Here you go sir, take a chisel to my PSP, i`ve always wanted a cool analog to make me look like Vinilla Ice."

Also, i`d much rather used that bit of paper under the stick idea that was quite the rage months back.

mr_nick666
October 19th, 2006, 19:08
haha I doubt he could legally sell these :p

"Here you go sir, take a chisel to my PSP, i`ve always wanted a cool analog to make me look like Vinilla Ice."

Also, i`d much rather used that bit of paper under the stick idea that was quite the rage months back.

For the right add-on I would willingly take hacksaw and chisel to my PSP ;)

Mr.Denny
October 19th, 2006, 19:12
Really? yowza

I`m even afraid to downgrade my 2.6 let alone do open heart surgery on the thing.

Brave guy ;)

ryoo
October 19th, 2006, 22:01
Any thoughts on making an addon that allows the use of a entire ps2 controller? I know one of the psp2tv adapters lets you use a ps2 controller.. not sure how they tapped into the psp's controls.

mr_nick666
October 19th, 2006, 22:37
Really? yowza

I`m even afraid to downgrade my 2.6 let alone do open heart surgery on the thing.

Brave guy ;)

Downgraded my mates 2.6 with the superduperdowndater program and it was a piece of cake! ;) Be brave - 1.5 is worth it :D

Any thoughts on making an addon that allows the use of a entire ps2 controller? I know one of the psp2tv adapters lets you use a ps2 controller.. not sure how they tapped into the psp's controls.

I was wondering this too... :confused: Im guessing its exactly the same principle as this :o

Avi
October 20th, 2006, 06:58
Dude, any chance to actually sell me all the parts you used in the pimped joystick as a little do it yourself package? (So I mean a male/female mini usb connection, the right amount of milliput, various wires needed and the other joystick from the controller you used). I can figure out what to do, but it's a little hard finding everything you need for this in Australia. Send me a private message (for some reason I cant send you one) and i'll give ya my email, take it from there.