PDA

View Full Version : PC or Mac?

depone
October 19th, 2006, 06:01
So I want to get a laptop this weeknd but i dont know if i should get a mac or PC..

any suggestions? experience?

its a hard choice....

1. Pc

2. Mac

ACID
October 19th, 2006, 06:08
More programs more everything period. For the Pc:D

BrooksyX
October 19th, 2006, 07:11
I am going to have to go with the PC, especially since I have despised MACs from the very first time I used on.

Accordion
October 19th, 2006, 08:58
mac gives you the best of both worlds. you can run windows on a mac, using parellels software
plus you get to use a much more stable, and feature rich O.S. upto five years before microsoft copy it...badly!

Darksaviour69
October 19th, 2006, 09:18
personally i have a p.c., but i love macs, they are just so dam sexy.. but p.c. better for a cheaper option (hardware and software)

Cloudhunter
October 19th, 2006, 10:54
mac gives you the best of both worlds. you can run windows on a mac, using parellels software
plus you get to use a much more stable, and feature rich O.S. upto five years before microsoft copy it...badly!

Yeah, thats the best alternative. Plus, you don't even need parellels software, as you can dualboot windows and Mac OS effectively.

My advice is: If you can afford a Mac (they are bloody expensive), Get one.

Cloudy

Man
October 19th, 2006, 11:17
Get a mac, iv wanted a mac ever since i first saw my friends, but un fourtunatly i never have the money to buy one.

souLLy
October 19th, 2006, 11:31
It entirely depends on what you'll be using the laptop for

starblazer84
October 19th, 2006, 12:05
Mac for me every time. Tiger's a great OS and it's not like the old days where you were limited in your choice of software compared to PC users. Still use PCs for work, but only really use my Mac at home.

mnuhaily22
October 19th, 2006, 14:23
If you are gonna get a PC, wait a couple of months until the new Windows comes out(Vista), It will own Mac, or buy a PC now, and then pay to update to Vista, it costs usually around 350 Dollars I think.

mnuhaily22
October 19th, 2006, 14:24
PC is overall much better quality for what you are paying.

JKKDARK
October 19th, 2006, 14:24
Pc!!

BlueCrab
October 19th, 2006, 14:29
Mac hands down.

Last year I bought a 1st Generation Mac Mini, and I loved it. After that point, I wouldn't ever consider going back to Windows on a normal basis.

Now, I own a MacBook Pro, and it has to be the nicest computer I have ever used in my life. And if I ever get the urge to play a Windows-only game, I always have the option of installing Windows on it (I had Vista on here for a while, and take it from me, it sucked).

Anyone thinks Vista is the Mac OS X killer, don't count on it. As I said, I've used the Vista public betas, and it still seems very unstable, considering they are releasing it so soon. Also, there are tons of little things that just annoyed me about it, such as it asking every time you want to run an installer, since it could change system files (gasp!). Also, Vista wouldn't even run some of my games, and the ones that it did run seemed to be running rather slow (It took a good 5-10 minutes to load a level in Unreal Tournament 2k4). To me, Vista just seems to be way overhyped, and have the same features Mac OS X has had for years. The only slightly interesting feature (if Microsoft had implemented it correctly, which they didn't) might be the 3D task switching. But as it is, that's just a picture of all the windows you have open that you can cyle through. Hardly what I'd call good use of 3D. That's the end of my rant on Vista.

Darksaviour69
October 19th, 2006, 14:37
i might come back to the mac fold some day, but the support in n.ireland is crap, but thats back in the days of the performer and first gen iMac (which i still have)

Accordion
October 19th, 2006, 19:58
If you are gonna get a PC, wait a couple of months until the new Windows comes out(Vista), It will own Mac, or buy a PC now, and then pay to update to Vista, it costs usually around 350 Dollars I think.

mac users have been using a much more feature rich and stable version of 'vista' for years now...its called 'MAC OS X'.

whether you want to accept it or not, 'Mac OS X' IS the blueprint for 'Vista'...

oh, and parellels software, allows you to run windows within Mac OS X, within a window, so you do not need to partition the hard disk, and can use both without a reboot.

bullhead
October 19th, 2006, 21:16
I have a PC and Mac at home. The Mac emulates windows better than windows itself on the pc. Much faster. Get the Mac.

ninja9393
October 20th, 2006, 01:33
i have a p.c but i wanna a mac

it would match my ipod:p

beetroot bertie
October 20th, 2006, 12:30
I'm a Mac dude myself.

To be fair, I've never really given a PC a chance as I've used Macs since college and continued using them at home and at then at work.

Although they are considerably more expensive, I've had many years of relatively stable and trouble free usage, which is something I've never had when I've used PCs. Maybe it's Windows, not the PC but constant crashing, driver requirements and hardware incompatibilities are not something I want to have to deal with on a regular basis. Nor is the more consistent threat of virus attack that you seem to get with PC's.

I love the design aesthetic that Apple have (even though it seems I have to pay for it) and the G4 iMac was/is a lovely piece of kit from a design point of view.

Making the leap to Mac OS can be wierd but after a while I think you won't want to go back.

The only major factor is like Soully mentioned - how you want to use the machine. If game playing is a main factor then a PC is going to be the better option, but for everything else a PC does, a Mac can do as well.

That said software is harder to pick up and there's less variety, but you do get used to it.

I'm surprised the support in Ireland is poor as I'm sure they used to manufacture them there and have offices.