PDA

View Full Version : Postal III uses Source Engine

Darksaviour69
October 19th, 2006, 15:50
Controversial developer Running With Scissors has announced that the third instalment in its Postal series of shooters, due out on PC and Xbox 360 in 2008, will use Valve's Source Engine.

Used most notably for Half-Life 2 and its expansions, the Source Engine is now available for Xbox 360 developers to base their games on.

RWS also said this week that the game would be produced in conjunction with developer/publisher Akella.

"We've always maintained since publishing the original Postal that the game is only as violent as the player wants it to be," said RWS CEO Vince Desi, getting in early with the defensive sound bites, "and we're committed to expanding this unique form of gameplay in this next addition to the ongoing storyline."

Postal III will apparently include motion-captured performances by various celebrities, including film stars and Playboy Playmates, and will continue to star the nameless "Postal Dude" in a story that continues to focus on "social satire and politically incorrect virtual violence".

Previous references to the game called it "Postal III: Catharsis", although there's no sign of that subtitle in the latest announcement.

It's also worth noting that the game will arrive some time after the Postal film which German film-maker Uwe Boll is directing. The Postal film should take to the silver screen (or, possibly, go direct to video) sometime next year.

Source:Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68897)

Hawq
October 19th, 2006, 18:30
That is one of the best things I have heard for a while, I havent been checking out gopostal.com very often or I probably woulda already seen it. The UT (2k3 I think it was) engine that Postal 2 used wasnt bad but source will enable a whole new level, plus with all the mods out atm such as garrys mod & all the extra content made for that people will have a damn good idea of what to do for modding it. /me imagines AW7 weapons & arcade games in the source engine & drifts off to his happy murder place

Adrenalin
October 20th, 2006, 09:26
Postal hmmmm.... i havent heard of this game before, but the plot sounds pretty cool!! specifically the nameless postal dude ^^

bah
October 20th, 2006, 11:27
This is great news, have loved the postal series since the original.

Postal 2 was ugly, poorly optimised and had loading times from hell (With a decent recent PC the latter 2 are much lesser issues) but playing through it had me laughing my ass off and was just plain fun.

Fighting Gary Coleman to the death over a book signature, protestors chanting 'save a tree, burn a book' who want to kill you for returning a library book, the ability to set a street full of people alight with a gas can and match then piss on yourself if you catch on fire too, all quality family fun.

If the new game can maintain the same irreverent humour but improve on the implementation (and the gfx obviously) it'll be great.

If 3 is anything like 2, I'm amazed MS would be willing to licence it for their console. Always seemed like a 'only on PC' series to me.

No, I'm not 12, but this series has the ability to have me laughing as if I were. :)