PDA

View Full Version : PS3 pad battery is irreplaceable

wraggster
October 19th, 2006, 17:00
PlayStation 3's wireless SixAxis pad will not come with a replaceable battery, Sony has confirmed.

This means that, unlike Xbox 360 controllers which feature removable battery packs, SixAxis pads that reach the end of their chargeable lifetime will become effectively useless as wireless controllers - although you should still be able to play with them by using the USB cable.

You can expect to pay at least as much for a PS3 pad as you do right now for a PS2 one and, although each wireless joypad will more than likely handle over a 1,000 charges - like most traditional rechargeable batteries - should your controller develop a charge problem then you'll be forced to shell out for a whole new one. Hopefully Sony will offer at least a year's warrantee on each pad, though.

Of course, like iPods which also have no removable battery packs, we imagine third-party replacement batteries will spring up. Although, as anyone who's ever wrecked their MP3 player by trying to replace the battery themselves will tell you, it's no easy task.

Should Sony offer a battery replacement service? We think so, but what about you? Why not hit the forums and unleash your opinion?

Makaveli777
October 19th, 2006, 21:27
1000 charges seems like alot but is it really? All I want to know is do the controllers battery last long.

NoQuarter
October 19th, 2006, 21:41
Just another example of sony's policy of planned obscelesence :(
Just like those damn disk read errors on the PS2.

bullhead
October 19th, 2006, 21:50
Yeah, I have to attempt rebooting the ps2 at least seven times before it loads into a game.
Of course they should provide removable batterys, but why should they when they can make more cash if they dont offer that perk.

BrooksyX
October 19th, 2006, 22:12
I am sure that there will be a third party option down the road. You'll probably just have take apart your controller to replace it.

Anyways this just shows the Xbox 360 is a much better choice of a console.

Accordion
October 19th, 2006, 22:27
hmm. bad idea, but it depends on the cost of the controllers, around £20 and its worth it really. . .

i find the disc read error very strange, as i have a european launch day PS2 and have never had any problems, and yes i use it both ways up and have a range of CD and DVD games. must be lucky i guess?

bullhead
October 19th, 2006, 23:01
probably luck yeah. Ive been lucky with the psp myself. Ive had it since jan and still no dead pixels!

mavsman4457
October 20th, 2006, 01:09
I am sure that there will be a third party option down the road. You'll probably just have take apart your controller to replace it.

Anyways this just shows the Xbox 360 is a much better choice of a console.

The battery lasts 30 hours so it will be able to last a total of 30,000 hours which is 1250 days which is 3 years and 5 months of continuous play. If that isn't good enough for you then I guess you'll have to get an Xbox 360 because this makes Xbox 360 SO MUCH better than PS3. :rolleyes:

emuking
October 20th, 2006, 07:50
The battery lasts 30 hours so it will be able to last a total of 30,000 hours which is 1250 days which is 3 years and 5 months of continuous play. If that isn't good enough for you then I guess you'll have to get an Xbox 360 because this makes Xbox 360 SO MUCH better than PS3. :rolleyes:

good point man, and since no one plays games 24/7 it will most likely last longer than 3 years :D

Darksaviour69
October 20th, 2006, 10:07
but does that take in account over charging, and other factors? 30,000 would be the max, 20,000-25,000 will be the most likly (bar the odd bad temper smashing off the tv), should be enough....we will have to see