PDA

View Full Version : No retro games for PS3

wraggster
October 19th, 2006, 17:00
Sony's downloadable games service for PlayStation 3 will not follow the same route as Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade - which just recently played host to classic shooter Doom - and will aim to offer high quality new titles instead of trawling videogames from the past.

"Sony [has] less product but it is higher quality than Xbox Live downloads," says Philip Oliver, CEO of Blitz Games, which has recently founded new division Blitz Arcade to concentrate on downloadable games. Sony is "not going to go the retro route," Oliver explains during an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, "in fact [it wants] its games to be around the same price but to be higher quality".

To do this, Sony is setting higher memory limits for developers than Microsoft does for Xbox Live, prompting the development of new, hi-def arcade titles and steering away from re-purposing retro games. "It's setting the entry barrier higher, which we don't have a problem with because we want to do high-end games," Oliver adds.

As we saw yesterday, Sony's first wave of online games look both familiar (Blast Factor) and intriguingly fresh (Flow). And, although we love Doom and can think of a dozen old-school titles that we'd rush to download from Xbox Live Arcade, Sony deserves a pat on the back for trying to encourage an exciting stream of brand new, quick-access gaming action. Will it work out? We'll just have to wait and see.

PSPKOR
October 19th, 2006, 17:34
Yeah, good direction to go I think.

PeterFile
October 19th, 2006, 17:37
Urgh, they say this yet they asked Sega if they could put Genesis games on it?!

October 19th, 2006, 18:49
It's nice to see Sony trying to be different from everyone else, something like this has a whole lot of potential.

ACID
October 19th, 2006, 19:25
Yeah it sounds the direction they are taking is the one where they can charge more for games. Tipical sony.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/acidburn0502/gif/bartstush.gif

October 19th, 2006, 19:39
Yeah it sounds the direction they are taking is the one where they can charge more for games. Tipical sony.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n244/acidburn0502/gif/bartstush.gif

..."in fact [it wants] its games to be around the same price but to be higher quality"

Honestly, reading helps

Accordion
October 19th, 2006, 19:51
hi def 'flow' is a huge plus for me.

mesosade
October 19th, 2006, 20:03
hmmmm. so....what are sony doing that they haven't taken away that IS original? and not the suxxasses

Apoklepz
October 19th, 2006, 20:16
Well, there go my hopes on playing all my Street Fighter and Castlevania Faves on PS3...unless Emulation later comes around. Still, not a bad decision, though...but they're gonna miss out on a load of games they could've easily profitted from...So, it's a pretty bold decision, but it's still stumps and limits them in a way....C'mon Sony....You knows you gotta have some o that Old School Flava in yo ear!

Accordion
October 19th, 2006, 21:01
maybe sony have realised the psp is for retro games...