PDA

View Full Version : NeoCD/PS2 v0.0.2a Released

wraggster
August 17th, 2004, 01:29
Evilo has released a new version of his NeoGeo CD emulator for ther PS2, heres whats new:[br][br] - Mainly a bug fix regarding the loading/booting code :[br]Lots of people had problems while running the emulator,[br]so I made a more robust code that should allow to [br]run it even launched from your toaster now ![br](MC and HDD not tested, but code is there)[br]- fix controller bug (stop responding after a while) [br][br]As the emulator has currently some issues with detection of some games, I will release a non official dev build to allow everybody to test the emulator. Please note that this version will no be maintained once the problem will be fixed [br][br]Download Here (http://ps3-psp-ps2-news.netfirms.com/neogeocdps2.shtml)

wraggster
August 23rd, 2004, 11:48
anyone try this great emu yet?

come on post some reports :)

evilo
August 23rd, 2004, 12:05
Hi Wraggster,

thanks ! but note that I don't think the emu can already be called great.... as it is still not complete as I would like, and for the moment it still lack all lot of thing (including most of all sound support), however, apart that compatibility shouldn't be so far from the PC version.

However some games are already running at a quite descent speed (z80 core is running aswell) even if the optimization is not at it's maximum.

Then I'd like to switch both CPU core to some "newer" one (mc68k from stef, as soon as a stable version will be out, stef PLZ CONTACT ME SEE PM, and z80 core from mame), with an estimated result a speed and compatibility increase (at least I hope).... also look to the last mame neogeo driver to update the "code" (also mame originated) present in the initial port (there is a lot of problem in many games, zoom issue, sprites missing, etc...)

damn, some good technical docs are also really missing on the neocd console !

wraggster
August 23rd, 2004, 12:18
Nice to see you Evilo :) ( i did recognise your nickname as soon as you registered)

Its great to see some activity in the PS2 Emulation scene after what has seemed to be a massive absence of new releases.

We do have the coders behind the ports of NeoCD to the Dreamcast and Xbox visit this site so they may be able to throw some useful hints your way.

keep up the great work :)

evilo
August 23rd, 2004, 12:26
Thank you ;)

It's mostly that abscence of emulator release that has motivated me to get started with emulation on ps2 ... ! Xbox and DC had almost everyday sthg new, and almost nothing for our nice ps2 ;(

I just hope it will also motivate people to start sthg also, personnaly I'd like to see some TG16, System16 and CPS emu on the ps2...

regarding other port, yes I already talked with ian, and gave him some report during first development stage, but maybe it could be a good idea to join our force and try to improve the emulator (with all possibilities, tasks could be shared).

see you !

Hola
August 23rd, 2004, 14:21
Yes I don't see any reason why PS2 coders and DC coders can get along together. However there still 2 very different beast the PS2 and the DC that is so there will always be some differences in the coding styles for the systems.

wraggster
August 24th, 2004, 12:23
Yeah i too would like to see emulation pushed further on the PS2, even Nintendo 64 emulation should be possible and GBA emulation too.

Hola
August 24th, 2004, 14:35
I think n64 is to far of a push.

LyonHrt
August 24th, 2004, 18:05
yeah i don't think it could handle n64, maybe gba though.

I'll have to get some more cdr's then i'll try your emu out :)

evilo
August 25th, 2004, 02:50
Come on guys..... I agree with you on the N64, but plz don't say that "maybe" GBA emulation would be possible on the PS2 !! even if harder to code, the PS2 is anyway a "bit" more powerfull that the DC, so it's clearly possible ;)

Hola
August 25th, 2004, 06:26
I think GBA is able to run on DC so I never doubted it would work on PS2. But no's ever completed a Snes emu for either system at this time so I dont think the talent is there yet.

Eric
August 25th, 2004, 08:04
All i have to say is that the PS2 is less powerful then the DC by its PVR and 160 mhz of power i believe it has. To another point if DC cant run a GBA emu PS2 cant sorry to pee people off but its true. Also DC is supposed to be running the emu with 8meg games and if PS2 were to emulate that system the 8meg games would be a lot slower. Trust me i do my read ups folks.

Sorry to burst your bubble

Eric

evilo
August 25th, 2004, 08:21
are you drunk ? my intention is not to launch a stupit ps2 vs DC thread, but may be you are a bit wrong...

DC:
- SH4 64bit @200Mhz
- PVR 3,5m polygones/sec
- 16Mb RAM - 500Mb/s

PS2:
- EE MIPS 128bit @300Mhz
- IOP MIPS I/O Processor @33.8Mhz
- GS @147.5Mhz , 15m polygones/sec
- 32Mb RAM - 3.2Gb/s

The main difference between the ps2 and the DC, is that the ps2 is multi processor system, so more difficult to program, and most difficult to exploit all capacities.

I would agree with you if you said that GC is more powerfull, but the DC sorry...

I

Eric
August 25th, 2004, 09:47
okay buddy i didnt need you to reply with drunk. I get my information from a great place which has true facts for systems. I looked over those 2 systems and you were correct so all i have to say is you were right but dont be saying bad things about me or it gives me full right of saying something about you.

Eric

evilo
August 25th, 2004, 10:32
hey, don't be upset , it was just a kind way of talking (a la francaise !!!), it was not intented to be "bad" ;)

well, anyway I'm also a great DC fan, still have mine, and this is really a great machine !!

Hola
August 25th, 2004, 10:36
I just dont see many people wanting to program for ps2 due to its complexity. Its the same thing that happened to the saturn.

wraggster
August 25th, 2004, 10:43
Well like it or not, the PS2 is the biggest selling console of the moment and its nice to see some emulators/homebrew for it.

Alexvrb
August 25th, 2004, 12:21
DC:
- SH4 64bit @200Mhz
- PVR 3,5m polygones/sec
- 16Mb RAM - 500Mb/s

PS2:
- EE MIPS 128bit @300Mhz
- IOP MIPS I/O Processor @33.8Mhz
- GS @147.5Mhz , 15m polygones/sec
- 32Mb RAM - 3.2Gb/sThe PS2 undoubtedly has more processing power. The Dreamcast's strengths lie in 3D graphics, which doesn't help (most) emulators. A correction: the DC has 800MB/sec memory, PC100 speeds I believe. It could have used a little faster memory to help keep the SH4 FPU busy, but its a very efficient machine.

Ian_micheal
August 27th, 2004, 04:37
Hiya mate hope the tips i gave you helped on the port thanks for having my name in the readme.

Talk to you soon on email.

evilo
August 27th, 2004, 04:48
It helped so much... difference with and without the flag is amazing ;)
It's major fix for the emulator... in almost all cases, any games that had previously glitches, missing sprites/tiles, are now .... perfect !!!

thank you so much for the tip !

wraggster
August 27th, 2004, 08:41
Nice to see the Dreamcast scene helping the PS2 Scene.

Great stuff Evilo/Ian :)

evilo
September 4th, 2004, 09:06
version 0.03 is out !

more into at
http://neocd.ps2-scene.org/ http://ps2-scene.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25556

enjoy :)

snipersnake
September 15th, 2004, 03:32
i enjoy dc too..to bad its dead.. :-[

Tenkawa
September 23rd, 2004, 15:19
hi everybody,
first i would like to thank evilo because i am a great fan of neocd. so THANKS.
then i just wanna know how can we make it work, if you can tell us how, it would be great.

i hope, i will be able to play to my neocd games :)

metalgear27410
October 7th, 2004, 20:06
yeah i really need help. i cant get this to work. iv tried to use my samurai shodown 2 on it but no go. Is there a guid some where on the internet like there is with pgen.

metalgear27410
October 7th, 2004, 20:27
:-X :D ;) :-[ :'( :'( :-/