PDA

View Full Version : Sony Drops PSP Shipping Estimates

wraggster
October 19th, 2006, 21:14
Coinciding with our earlier reports of Sony's downward revisions to its year 2006 earnings forecast comes news of another downward revision, this time concerning the PSP. Sony has lowered its shipping forecast for the system for the fiscal year from the initial target of 12 million units down to 9 million.

As part of its earnings revision statement earlier today, Sony cited the poorer-than-expected performance for the PSP as one of the main reasons for a drop in expected operating profit for its game division. Other reasons were the recent lowering of the PS3's price in Japan and the inclusion of HDMI ports in all PS3 models.

The PSP isn't on its last legs yet, though. Sony's Chief Financial Officer Nobuyuki Oneda made mention today of a rethinking of PSP strategy, stating "We'll have to increase the ways of enjoying the PSP, with the development of software and peripherals. Sony Computer Entertainment is currently investigating solutions."

While the company dropped its estimate for PSP shipments, it stood firm on its PS3 shipment targets of 6 million by the end of March 2007.

Via IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/740/740277p1.html)

Why are people down on the PSP, yep sure it hasnt beaten the DS but lets be honest Sony are taking on the runaway kings of handheld consoles and have done a great job in giving the DS a good run for its money, seems like the press should remember that.

Makaveli777
October 19th, 2006, 21:21
I just learn to ignore the anti-psp reports. If thats all people read you would think the psp was the next virtual boy lol.

Veskgar
October 19th, 2006, 22:28
Sony did an extremely great job in designing and engineering the PSP (except for no built in flash storage option and just 32MB of RAM).

Is not entirely SONY's fault that a lot of games are only average at best. A lot of young kids just buy a game because of the packaging or screenshots on the back. But the PSP has an older consumer base and that won't fly. I read as many articles, reviews, etc. on a game before I make a decision to buy or not.

The PSP is capable of some REALLY great stuff in terms of commercial gaming. Its just taking a long time to finall see that come to fruition.

emuking
October 19th, 2006, 23:53
it just needs more first party games like devil may cry final fantasy god of war mgs silent hill etc and it will be fine :D

Dbgtgoten
October 20th, 2006, 02:04
well they got silent hill game coming out for it and more metal gear solids those are must by in my book xD