PDA

View Full Version : Every PSone game in PS3 Store?

wraggster
October 20th, 2006, 16:01
Sony aims to release every single PSone game there is through its online PlayStation Store, Phil Harrison said at the Sony Gamer's Day event last night.

Speaking to 1UP, Harrison was explaining how the PlayStation 3 will work with old games for PSone and PS2, and what sort of rollout the company's planning for downloadable, emulated games.

For a start, he says, the original Syphon Filter and Twisted Metal will be downloadable at launch, and initially emulated games will only work through the PlayStation Portable. Then, as emulation software is completed, you'll be able to play them on PS3.

And the only real barrier to releasing every single PSone game, he said, which is their goal, is the occasional legal issue - basically where music, for example, had only been licensed for a relatively short period that didn't envision this sort of next-generational redistribution.

Anyway, while Sony's working on emulators and briefs and the like, you can always throw PSone and PS2 discs in the PS3 tray and play those, although Sony's not planning to offer any options for visual enhancement the way the PS2 did.

Via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68926)

Mr.Denny
October 20th, 2006, 16:04
Great!

However, i just wondering how many people will re-buy a game they already have. I`m not saying that we`ll all go and make iso back-ups but buying a game twice just sounds silly to me.

kersplatty
October 20th, 2006, 16:10
y dusnt ps3 jus have downloadable game support like xbox360

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
October 20th, 2006, 16:48
Nice!!! but you need to pay.....bad and good news...awwwww!

benn
October 20th, 2006, 17:05
erm... why??
50% of PS1 games were total shit back then... imagine how bad they would be now!!

Mr.Denny
October 20th, 2006, 17:24
erm... why??
50% of PS1 games were total shit back then... imagine how bad they would be now!!

haha

Nice sig :rolleyes:

Mobius
October 20th, 2006, 17:47
uh did anyone else se what i saw. it says there that the ps3 will be doing the emulation of ps1 and it will be viewd on the psp through adhoc wifi. atleast thats what i got from it. i hope i'm wrong. pls don't flame me thats just my interpretation of this news post.

MUDD
October 20th, 2006, 17:50
damned if they do damned if they dont .
like i said before find a tit you crybabys

Emeriastone
October 20th, 2006, 18:25
If I want to play PS1 games on a console, I should be expected to pull out the PS2 or slip my original PS1 discs into the PS3. I should not have to play for the games I own!

Basil Zero
October 20th, 2006, 18:47
i'll buy the ones i missed

masterpsp2.6
October 20th, 2006, 18:58
i wont buy any ps1 games!! they should make them free to people who have a psp...its going to really suck if u have to buy ps1 games....but everyone should know there will be a way to get them....:-)

chiefy
October 20th, 2006, 20:31
Way to go Sony!! I hate you!
I am not buying a Ps3 so I can play ps1 games on my psp you freekin con artists!

quzar
October 20th, 2006, 20:41
Third parties would probably stand to benefit more by releasing 'game packs' Sets of their games (like ff7 8 and 9 on one blu-ray) with extras or improved graphics or whatnot.

$0ny !$ my n4m£
October 20th, 2006, 22:37
I think that the ps3 is kind of a waste of time.Since we have PSP's why don't we just download games from ps1,ps2,gameboy,pc and so on.The psp is capable do download any format if you can find them.And the ps3 can only play ps1,ps2 and ps3 games.That's kind of a waste of money.[In the UK £500 and coud you please tell if these downloads are for euro psp or US psp.If it is in US i should just quit this site since it is no use for my psp][I'm a euro psp user.

PSP FW:2.81[REALLY CRAP]
MODEL:1003
IS IT A MOTHERBOARD?:NO
COLOUR:CERAMIC WHITE
ACCSECORIES:LCD PROTECTOR,CASE,UMD CASE,WRIST STRAPP AND UMD CASE.
MEMORY STICK:512
MOVIES STORED:1
MUSIC STORED:9
PHOTOS STORED:7
GAMES:GTA:LCS,THE GODFATHER

emuking
October 21st, 2006, 00:14
im planning to use linux when i get a ps3 so i dont care about this much

MUDD
October 21st, 2006, 06:48
ill buy a few ilike

kando
October 21st, 2006, 06:58
uh did anyone else se what i saw. it says there that the ps3 will be doing the emulation of ps1 and it will be viewd on the psp through adhoc wifi. atleast thats what i got from it. i hope i'm wrong. pls don't flame me thats just my interpretation of this news post.

and initially emulated games will only work through the PlayStation Portable.

u misinterpreted :)

If I want to play PS1 games on a console, I should be expected to pull out the PS2 or slip my original PS1 discs into the PS3. I should not have to play for the games I own!

of course you can still do that, u can even pop the ps1 cd in ur computer, make an iso and put it on a memory card :)

cheers all :D

Jpdeathblade
October 21st, 2006, 15:46
They are not making you buy the games so why are you complaining. Besides the games would probley be 50 cents to $1 and maybe more for good games like ff7.....not that bad

potatoman
October 21st, 2006, 16:09
actually the price has already been stated by sony, "they should all be below the $15 mark" thats about £7-9. but u could always just put the cd in & stream it on ur psp like this! or even just copy it to ur ps3's hard drive from the cd in linux,(or maybe xmb, im not sure...)

JKKDARK
October 21st, 2006, 17:10
yeah, nice news. Because I hate my PSX.

pkmaximum
October 21st, 2006, 19:18
I still wish Nintendo would make a portable system, that would allow downloadble N64 roms, and then played. Because I still would do anything to have Zelda Ocarina of Time on the go. The closest I came to this, so far, was getting a laptop. But I still would like to have it in my pocket.

As far as PS1 games go... I really think almost 80% of the games were horrible. There were only a few selected titles I really enjoyed, compared to the like 80% of titles I enjoyed in the N64.

Personally I think games like Final Fantasy VII, were truly just over rated, and the graphics, were definently nothing to look at.

Don't get me wrong there were some great games for that consul, such as Castle Vania SOTN, Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicute, Final Fantasy Tactics, Breath of Fire III;IV, And a few other great titles, that I'm not going to name ;)

But for the most part, does anyone really want to essentially re buy their games, just to have them play off the memory stick. Unless hackers get around this, it just seems like we would have been better, just buying UMD's for our seperate ps1 games. Because after all those games, did add up in size quite a bit.

Also I still don't believe this is going to be considered emulation. Because they are most likeley going to work with the code, to optomize performances for the PSP, on each game. That is why they didn't have this released by now. "Notice how their only releasing specific games, at launch for download". This is probaly not emulation but more like, psp games on the memory card. Essentially ISO's. But each game is probaly going to have its own loader and everything in PBP format.

Don't expect much out of this in my opinion. The only thing that would make this nice, though is, if this was really a playstation emulator, and not ported games, and there was a way to back up our OWN games and play them. But other than that, it just seems like to me, SONY is just going to make us re buy our games, to make a quick $$

SteveV2
October 21st, 2006, 21:26
Surely it would only be a matter of time before these 'new' format psx games will be up for grabs elsewhere.

imoneofthem
October 21st, 2006, 22:26
I agree with PK Maximum. Expect no stand alone emulator to be released by Sony and expect the game in PBP format.

It would save Sony money on manufacturing and also simple UMD disc browsing (opportuinity for coders/hackers + warez)

Good luck Sony, you're going to need it.

Exophase
October 22nd, 2006, 04:30
This is emulation. There's no way they're touching the code of every PS1 game ever made. They're just making sure that they actually work in the emulator before going ahead with making them available.

GSA1508
October 22nd, 2006, 13:44
Thank God I always keep my old systems with me working in mint condition ..... so I do not have to buy "new-old" games ... I still have with me my N64, my PSONE (you can still find some "recent" releases back in mexico of PSOne games, and the consoles are still for sale with a small screen that can be attached to the unit);my Xbox, my PS2's (the orginal & the slim unit), and of course my dear-loved PSP .....

and of course A HUGE amount of games that I love and still have with me ..... I guess I do not have to worry for a while ....:D I can wait until Sony makes PS3 fully available (and at decent price).

Tinnus
October 22nd, 2006, 15:14
This is emulation. There's no way they're touching the code of every PS1 game ever made. They're just making sure that they actually work in the emulator before going ahead with making them available.
And we're both here to say this: as emulation, it's impossible every single game would work :)