PDA

View Full Version : Hot Info Leak: Details of New Sony PSP, Due Next Spring

wraggster
October 20th, 2006, 19:31
More rumours via Gizmondo (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/hot-info-leak-details-of-new-sony-psp-due-next-spring-209072.php)

From the Holy Shit department of our esteemed relative in the basement Kotaku, we hear leakage about the upcoming Sony Playstation Portable, with a Sony mole saying we'll be seeing a shiny new PSP come Spring, 2007. Since one of the new PSP's iterations will reportedly have 8GB of built-in flash memory, we're assuming it's going to be much slimmer than the current model. Speculates P.J. McNealy of American Technology Research:

"Sony will likely introduce a refresh of the PSP hardware line, including a hard-disk drive PSP and a second PSP with no hard drive but with a significant amount of flash memory on board," he said. "We expect these products in Spring 2007, with the pricing for the hard-drive based model at $199 or above, and the new flash-based one below $199."
Bring on the latest and greatest tech, and cram it into the smallest package you can muster.

However, we're also hearing that the company will mulishly stick with the PSP's proprietary UMD format. Bag that dog—it's dead, Sony.

LAMPRO
October 20th, 2006, 19:37
rumor rumor rumor.. just hype for the need of keeping the name in your face and the wishers keep wishing..

i think. lol.

TCLCloud
October 20th, 2006, 19:39
If its true its crap, we spent £250 getting them a year ago and then theres a new one out 18 months later, what a waste of money if its true.....

SkinnyBoy
October 20th, 2006, 19:43
I believe this could happen, with the sales of psp's going downhill this could be the boost they need, look at what nintendo did with the ds, maybe sony are going to try and do something similar?

mesosade
October 20th, 2006, 19:53
boost? ha they'll juat crash and burn and make money of ps3 with goddam seques and ea sport games

Veskgar
October 20th, 2006, 20:22
If this is true, it sounds good. The current PSP will always remain great for homebrew, but for commercial gaming & PS3 interaction the new hardware version would be welcome provided:

1.) They increase the speed of the UMD drive
2.) The internal HDD version has a significant amount of storage like the iPod's due.
3.) Longer battery life

Imagine a SMALLER sleeker PSP with 20, 30, or 40GB of internal storage. That would be a homebrewers dream portable.

But I bet SONY will try and make it very secure. I emphasise "TRY" ;-)

JKKDARK
October 20th, 2006, 20:32
Nice news. Because with this PSP they will lose the battle against DS.

Datahax
October 20th, 2006, 20:35
*ACHOO!* Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit.

How many times have I heard the "Sony is coming out with a *new* PSP" rumor? Please...

If they do happen to do this, which I doubt they will, they should offer some kind of trade-in or upgrade for the original PSP.

blackrave
October 20th, 2006, 21:01
Sony can't do that!
I doubt they will really do this, but if they do, just as Datahax said, the original PSP owners should get an offer.

A lot of people will get pissed if this is true. It's not like the DS Lite thing, not even the slim PS2. If it has 8 GB built-in storage space... Maybe even camera or GPS. :eek:

Cloud_35
October 20th, 2006, 21:01
If it's true, Sony is gonna start doing like Nintendo (GBA, GBASP, GBMicro. DS, DS lite...)

Nicko01
October 20th, 2006, 21:17
HAHAHA! A psp with the memory of an Ipod video would be great.
yea, lots of homebrew would fit on that...
and mp4's
and music
and everything else lol.

Cloudhunter
October 20th, 2006, 21:32
HAHAHA! A psp with the memory of an Ipod video would be great.
yea, lots of homebrew would fit on that...
and mp4's
and music
and everything else lol.Your assuming homebrew would even work on it? You know sony's reputation for blocking it.

If it does come out, I'm probably not getting one.

Cloudy

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
October 20th, 2006, 22:14
could be possible........BULLSHIT!!!!

zackforbing
October 20th, 2006, 22:27
Sony can't do that!
I doubt they will really do this, but if they do, just as Datahax said, the original PSP owners should get an offer.

A lot of people will get pissed if this is true. It's not like the DS Lite thing, not even the slim PS2. If it has 8 GB built-in storage space... Maybe even camera or GPS. :eek:
<_<

hello, welcome to 2006. where have you been? technology is expanding so fast, that as soon as you GET something it's pretty much obsolete. I bought an original razr v3, they certainly will NOT give me any kind of deal if I tried to upgrade. a year and a half is pretty long for technology to stay on the shelf with no upgrades.

Forjey
October 20th, 2006, 22:42
Hah, it wasn't an original idea even when Nintendo remade the DS - the Atari Lynx got a similar makeover years ago (still got mine, God knows why...).

I'd like to see what they come up with, but I'm a gadget freak anyway - I still have a carefuly gaurded 1.00 PSP - I wouldn't trade it even for a new model.

Datahax
October 20th, 2006, 23:27
<_<

hello, welcome to 2006. where have you been? technology is expanding so fast, that as soon as you GET something it's pretty much obsolete. I bought an original razr v3, they certainly will NOT give me any kind of deal if I tried to upgrade. a year and a half is pretty long for technology to stay on the shelf with no upgrades.

Hello, wtf are you talking about? This doesn't have anything to do with expanding technology they could of added this stuff in when they released the PSP but they didn't, and I can't see them giving us somthing more for the price stated there, since it's less than what a regular PSP costs now.

And what do you mean "no upgrades", sure no hardware upgrades *yet* but there are definate Software upgrades that have been released and even more on the way as well as the GPS and Camera addons.

Maybe you have enough money to go out and buy a new product like this every year and a half but alot of people don't. I had to dip into my college fund to get my PSP and I think I should get at least a 5 year lifespan out of it like the PS2. Especially without having to buy an entirely new unit.

emuking
October 21st, 2006, 00:08
i hope the psp needs two analog sticks and a built in hd :D

kcajblue
October 21st, 2006, 00:16
*ACHOO!* Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit.irobot is cool.
sony wont beat the DS even with a new PSP.

Tinnus
October 21st, 2006, 03:13
"Sony will likely introduce a refresh of the PSP hardware line, including a hard-disk drive PSP and a second PSP with no hard drive but with a significant amount of flash memory on board," he said. "We expect these products in Spring 2007, with the pricing for the hard-drive based model at $199 or above, and the new flash-based one below $199."
Remember how cheaper HD memory is compared to flash though...

MUDD
October 21st, 2006, 06:13
would be great to have a psp2 TODAY .i would buy one in a second .i wont buy there ps3 or the xbox 360 and i can afford it ,
i love how some say its not fair im to poor and lazy to get one.who cares if you dont get one (not me).

they shouldnt offer a discount cause i already got the psp only 1 years ago ,and?so? please make a psp2 sony ,im begging you

DPyro
October 21st, 2006, 16:37
I don't think they'll release a new version for at least another year. Remember Sony will try to milk their products for as long as possible.

nhlhockey
October 21st, 2006, 18:53
give this rumor a rest already. Its resurfaces every couple of weeks. My god

acn010
October 21st, 2006, 19:42
psp micro? or psp mini? or psp nano? or psp samll edition?
i dont know about the price though thats preety cheap................

alooper21
October 30th, 2006, 19:13
i see the psp2 something like this: in about 3to 5 years, no build in storage discs, but a "ubr disc" wich will be the universal blu-ray disk, holding something like 10 to 15 gb (san andreas on psp will then be available, and even gtaIV), at least 1Ghz processor, 512 Mb ram, etc. camera included, at least 5 mp, and the touchscreen, protected during playing with a transparent plastic flip-door like thing. unfortunately, still no support for homebrew.

so the info about psp2 next year is utter cowshit than true.

:)

quzar
October 30th, 2006, 19:34
If it's true, Sony is gonna start doing like Nintendo (GBA, GBASP, GBMicro. DS, DS lite...)

um... start? PSone, PS-X, PStwo ? Yea, sony has never done that. Even with their major hardware, they have massive revisions (ps losing it's paralell port, etc).

ACID
October 30th, 2006, 19:39
I dont think a new psp is comming soon. Its not like the original psp has sold like hot cakes like the nds.

Shrygue
October 30th, 2006, 19:52
New PSP? Now that's something good to hear! Although...I wonder what what firmware number will it come with? 3.00 maybe? What extra featues what appear on the unit itself? A microphone, maybe a built-in camera too? That's be good for recording video clips. Just hope the quality isn't c**p. Then there's the motherboard as well: would it be a TA-82, or something different?

We will all just have to wait and see...

And by the way, the idea of Sony still sticking to UMD media is rubbish. Battery goes flat faster than access to memory stick but it's a shame they are trying to destory homebrew, that cr**py company.

archangel1024
October 30th, 2006, 21:00
i remember the same rumor coming up at least 6 times over the last 3 months.

SteveV2
October 30th, 2006, 22:31

Or did Nintendo do a Sony?

Psx - PSone.

PS2 - Slim PS2.

Or did Sony do a Nintendo?

Game Boy - GB Pocket.

Or did they both do a Sega?

Master System - Master System 2

Mega Drive - Mega Drive 2.

Hummm... My moneys on Sega with this one :)

SteveV2
October 30th, 2006, 22:32
um... start? PSone, PS-X, PStwo ? Yea, sony has never done that. Even with their major hardware, they have massive revisions (ps losing it's paralell port, etc).

You know, the thread was only 3 pages, should have read first :)

Still, Sega wins :D

quzar
October 31st, 2006, 03:03
You know, the thread was only 3 pages, should have read first :)

Still, Sega wins :D

Sega is the all time winner for hardware revisions (barring the famicom era where all sorts of stupid things like vcrs came with built in famicoms).

They had the SG series, which were all just slight upgrades of one another. The SMS which was a slight upgrade from the SG-3000.

Then they had what you said, but for the genesis they also had the Geneis 3 (produced by majestico) and the Nomad.

The Sega CD had two iterations. Then there was the TeraDrive, which was a MegaDrive and PC in one. There was an Aiwa boom box that could play Genesis (and I think CD) games. There was the Panasonic Laseractive, the X'eye, the CDX, and a handfull of other lesser knowns (um megajet?).

For the saturn there were two different basic hardware revisions, then there was the hi saturn, the navi, ...

Dreamcast had the Diver's CX (sic?) which was the DC integrated into a TV.

Elven6
October 31st, 2006, 03:08
Sega is the all time winner for hardware revisions (barring the famicom era where all sorts of stupid things like vcrs came with built in famicoms).

They had the SG series, which were all just slight upgrades of one another. The SMS which was a slight upgrade from the SG-3000.

Then they had what you said, but for the genesis they also had the Geneis 3 (produced by majestico) and the Nomad.

The Sega CD had two iterations. Then there was the TeraDrive, which was a MegaDrive and PC in one. There was an Aiwa boom box that could play Genesis (and I think CD) games. There was the Panasonic Laseractive, the X'eye, the CDX, and a handfull of other lesser knowns (um megajet?).

For the saturn there were two different basic hardware revisions, then there was the hi saturn, the navi, ...

Dreamcast had the Diver's CX (sic?) which was the DC integrated into a TV.

Most of those Sega updates were due to many countires still supporting them or wanting them. Like the Genesis 3 was for Brasil, the Hi Saturn for Japan, etc. But I haven't heard of the Dreamacast stuff, can you post your source?

Edit: Its not like they dropped support for those consoles once the revisions came out, PSP looks diffrent though.

quzar
October 31st, 2006, 03:21
Most of those Sega updates were due to many countires still supporting them or wanting them. Like the Genesis 3 was for Brasil, the Hi Saturn for Japan, etc. But I haven't heard of the Dreamacast stuff, can you post your source?

Edit: Its not like they dropped support for those consoles once the revisions came out, PSP looks diffrent though.

Um... the Genesis 3 wasn't for Brazil. It was released in the US. I didn't even go into the SMS/Genesis/Dreamcast reproductions done under license by TecToy in Brazil. Just because the device was only released in Japan doesn't stop it from being another hardware revision which was my point.

Diver's 2000 CX-1 is the name. http://www.uk.playright.dk/raretitel.php?id=13400 or http://assembler.roarvgm.com/Divers_2000_Dreamcast/divers_2000_dreamcast.html

Elven6
October 31st, 2006, 22:48
Well all I know is the Genesis is still a hot seller in India, thorugh a recent trip. But since were talking about companies with updates and all I think it would be Nintendo I mean a new Gameboy comes out every 6 months in a way!