PDA

View Full Version : Don't worry: you don't need a PS3 to download PSone games

wraggster
October 21st, 2006, 00:05
News via PSPfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/10/20/dont-worry-you-dont-need-a-ps3-to-download-psone-games/)

Sony's Gamer's Day revealed some interesting info about the exciting PSP-PS3 connectivity. But, we were left pondering whether or not we'd need a PS3 to download PSone games to our handhelds. It would be a little silly if Sony tried to force us to buy a $500+ piece of hardware simply to download games, and thankfully, Sony hasn't gone completely mad as we've feared. GameDaily interviewed everyone's pal, Peter Dille, and he confirmed that you do not need a PS3 in order to download PSone games to your PSP:

BIZ: I know you guys have previously talked about a PSP emulation service where PS1 titles would be downloaded directly to the PSP (for example, if someone didn't own a PS3). This new PS3 download service of PS1 titles, which involves transferring to the PSP, is not going to replace the previous PSP emulation plan is it?

PD: You are correct. We'll still have that. We have the PSP downloads site now, and you're right; these PS1 games will be available either from the PSP downloads site directly, so you don't need a PS3 to get them or if you do happen to be one of the lucky guys that gets a PS3, you can download the games to your PS3 hard drive and then slide it over to your PSP. Both services will be up and running.

Whew! That's good to hear. I'm going to pick up a PLAYSTATION 3 one of these days, but I'm sure many of you are very relieved to hear this confirmation.

TCLCloud
October 21st, 2006, 00:17
WOW, thank god, this is one thing Sony have actually managed to stick with what they say they'll do, no we just gotta wait for them to rip us off by charging uber high prices.....

benh
October 21st, 2006, 00:28
that was a relife i thought i wouldnt be able to use the psone emu on my psp

Anger
October 21st, 2006, 00:30
one word - WHEW. when i first heard this i was even more mad at sony because i believed it was going to be turned into a ps3 only thing. man am i relieved about this. :) and yeah they will rip us off with the prices but there may be other ways. (i hope they make a way to convert our original ps1 disks)

Basil Zero
October 21st, 2006, 00:58
hmmm.....did sony announce this?

Broadus
October 21st, 2006, 01:41
Hallelujah!
I never plan on buying any more in-home consoles ever again, since the PC usually fits my needs, or my dad will just get one and I'll play it at his house.
So, it's nice to hear that the PS3 won't be necessary for the PSP's new features.

wolfpack
October 21st, 2006, 01:53
oh good, this is just what we need. too bad we still have to pay for them again though......... oh well ill just alternate with the homebrew emulator and sonys emulator, makes things easier

jwilds73
October 21st, 2006, 04:47
Will these games be playable on the PS3 also though? It would be more worth the expense of purchasing a downloadable PSone title if they were playable on both systems. However just downloading games for the PSP alone is rather limiting. Somehow I doubt Sony has put enough thought into allowing the downloaded games to be playable on both systems.

pibs
October 21st, 2006, 04:51
yup, plus i hear alot of games will not be released since they have lost the rights to the music soundtracks so count many of ur fav ps1 games out of the list.

sony should just release a pay2convert program kinda like pspvideo9 except that wus free.

King of Fire
October 21st, 2006, 05:52
yay:cool:

jwilds73
October 21st, 2006, 06:14
yup, plus i hear alot of games will not be released since they have lost the rights to the music soundtracks so count many of ur fav ps1 games out of the list.

sony should just release a pay2convert program kinda like pspvideo9 except that wus free.

I have said this from the beginning. And I will say it again. Games such as Marvel vs Capcom will not be released for this Emulator because Capcom no longer has the rights to publish Marvel characters in their games. They are also barred from republishing their previous titles featuring Marvel characters due to licensing restrictions. Which is why there has never been and never will be a Marvel vs Capcom Collection. Sony has failed us because of their greed. This emulator will be way to limited on what titles we can purchase for it.

MUDD
October 21st, 2006, 06:30
DUH. course you wont need a ps3 to get the emu and games .and yes they will have every game that was on the ps1 for download. i dont care what you THINK ,i know it to be true and could argue it but why bother.

and i will buy a few of my fav ps1 games and im sure thats all sony expects you to do ,you dont have to have them all (duh).

the emu aint even out yet and its alredy being bashed.please

and i also will never own another consule .frankly i find them boring as hell anymore .i was at a friends house and he has a xbox 360 and like 20 games and we smoked a faty and i still couldnt get into it , it was kinda scary how much i didnt care (scared me anyway).

shrimpidy
October 21st, 2006, 12:06
It feels pretty obvious that Sony wouln't be that evil to make PSP owners buy a 600$ console to have access to a 20$ console's games. I'm still getting a PS3 though.:)

potatoman
October 21st, 2006, 15:38
It feels pretty obvious that Sony wouln't be that evil to make PSP owners buy a 600$ console to have access to a 20$ console's games. I'm still getting a PS3 though.:)
they also said the ps1 games should all be below 15$(7-9£)AND syphon filter is on their list for "ready" WOO HOO!

LloydKansas
October 21st, 2006, 17:18
I know I'm glad to hear this. I was worried that Sony would pull some stupid crap and make everybody buy the PS3 BEFORE getting the downloads, but luckily they have just a little more gray-matter than I was hoping for.

cloud_952
October 21st, 2006, 18:44
One thing that I find annoying, though: Why can't I just download the PS1 games to my PC and THEN transfer them to my PSP?

o_o The PSP only has 802.11b wireless, so it's going to be downloading slower than my PC would be. Then there's the fact that I have to leave my PSP plugged in and downloading for possibly hours (depending on the speed of Sony's servers) for ONE game. And what about people who don't have wireless in their home?

dmac
October 22nd, 2006, 22:47
it would be better if we could transfer our old PS1 games from the PS3 to the PSP via wireless. Then we could at least play the games we already own for free.

Anger
October 22nd, 2006, 23:33
firstly i fully agree with the poster above me - it should be that way.

One thing that I find annoying, though: Why can't I just download the PS1 games to my PC and THEN transfer them to my PSP?

o_o The PSP only has 802.11b wireless, so it's going to be downloading slower than my PC would be. Then there's the fact that I have to leave my PSP plugged in and downloading for possibly hours (depending on the speed of Sony's servers) for ONE game. And what about people who don't have wireless in their home?
actually if you have an 11 meg service or less that wont matter because 802.11b is 11 megabits a second. obviously if your not that close to your wireless device then the speed will drop a bit but if you were going to download a game to your psp you would place it close as possible to the device anyway. however your other points are perfectly valid. as for the no wireless problem im sure sonys answer is the ps3 :\. i think even a 4 gig stick wont hold any more than maybe 5 games so i think sonys idea is a bit flawed anyway especially for those that dont have a pc or dont have the wads of cash required for a ps3.