PDA

View Full Version : PSPUAE 0.60 Released - Amiga Emulator for PSP

FOL
October 21st, 2006, 20:03
We have released a new version of PSPUAE, changes / improvements are listed below.

Updated with new readme as 2 things were forgotten

V0.60
- new autoframeskip logic with fps limiting for both PAL and NTSC
- real 4 channel stereo
- Added new Menu User Interface (Menu Graphics by The Chaos Engine (from our forums))
- Immediate Blits (Helps with compatability)
- Blitter Cycle Exact (Helps with compatability)
- High Density Floppy (Lets you use 1.7MB Floppy Disks)

The readme has also been fully reworked, to explain EVERYTHING, so check it out if you get stuck.

EDIT:- Ment to add that this package is a all in 1 solution, meaning it contains versions for all homebrew able PSP`s. The readme, explains which is which and how to install in great detail.

Download and Give Feedback & Compatibility Reports Via Comments

sedkiller
October 21st, 2006, 20:11
Yea ! im going to play some old games. See you later lol.

jaws365
October 21st, 2006, 20:25
Nice man! Always a pleasure!

fucht017
October 21st, 2006, 20:47
Beautiful USER display guys....Only i still got some minor problems.Have anyone else problems with Syndicate?...When i try to start up Syndicate,it just gives colored lines... And can someone give some good settings,because the sound still crackles a bit,but a bit less as the previous versions...Wonderfull stuff no less..I use 1.5 by the way.;)

sedkiller
October 21st, 2006, 20:56
At first try it frz after the intro but i retryed and it worked perfectly ! i tried some fames and work fine on my 2.60 using eloder 0.9.8.... Sad, I like the last eboot pics the new one is ugly !

Baboon
October 21st, 2006, 21:13
I still havent tried this emu yet, I guess I was waiting for a bit more compatibility before I gave it a go. Ideal your on the case though and have released another update so soon! :)

Any idea how Cannon Fodder, North and South, Syndicate, Sensible Soccer, Alien Breed or Flashback play on this version?

I havent got my psp with me so I cant test em out yet. :(

Legionnare
October 21st, 2006, 21:23
This release is still quite slow, but its really comming on leaps and bounds. Im sure it will be excellent in a few more releases. Keep up the good work! :)

FOL
October 21st, 2006, 21:36
If anyone has any problems, with running it, stop by www.pspuae.com and give me a shout.

If your having problems using GTA Eloader, then I would reinstall Eloader, as this always seems to fix it.
I have done a fresh install of Eloader 0.99 and used both tiff and GTA to run it and it runs fine.

As for speed, play with the settings, i would say 70% run almost spot on, alot work even better with Chipset set to on and with the new Frame Rate Limiter, they run pretty smooth.

Doh, forgot to add it to readme,
FrameSkip = AUTO (Enables the Frame Limiter, to stop games running to fast)

FOL
October 21st, 2006, 21:48
At first try it frz after the intro but i retryed and it worked perfectly ! i tried some fames and work fine on my 2.60 using eloder 0.9.8.... Sad, I like the last eboot pics the new one is ugly !

Yeh, I used to get that, Eloader 0.98 aint as stable as 0.99, that worked every time.

Eboot pic is ugly, lol, its clean to the point and practical, the only ugly thing is the flashing icon. If you want to do some pics, drop by pspuae.com and post some, ;).
Last Eboot pic was done by The Chaos Engine, should have looked at his posted pics, but forgot about them, I was to busy trying to get the folder arrangement ready for releasing it.

valar
October 21st, 2006, 21:53
State of the art by spaceballs is slow.what a shame.Another World works alright.

FOL
October 21st, 2006, 21:56
State of the art by spaceballs is slow.what a shame.Another World works alright.

Tried setting chipset on in CPU speed control?

FOL
October 21st, 2006, 22:12
Beautiful USER display guys....Only i still got some minor problems.Have anyone else problems with Syndicate?...When i try to start up Syndicate,it just gives colored lines... And can someone give some good settings,because the sound still crackles a bit,but a bit less as the previous versions...Wonderfull stuff no less..I use 1.5 by the way.;)

Your syndicate problem, is the turbo option. Set Floppy drive speed to Normal. I just downloaded it and tested just for you, lol. If drive speed = Turbo it will crash.

This is taken straight from my Game Compatability DB, over at pspuae.com

Game Details

Name: Syndicate
ADF File Name:
No. Of Disks: 4
Game Comments: Game takes a while to load but works real well when done
PSPUAE Version tested on: 0.55a
Playable: Perfect

Hardware Settings

Video Hardware

Direct VRAM Access: OFF
Frame Skip: 3
Screen Zoom: 0%
Collision: Playfields
Immediate Blits: OFF
Blitter Cycle Exact: OFF
Chipset: ECS (FULL)

Audio Hardware

Sound Emulation: Normal
Sound Output: Mono

CPU
CPU Type: 68020
CPU Speed: CPU
CPU Compatability: OFF

Memory
Fast Memory: 0KB
Chip Memory: 2048KB
Bogo Memory: 1024KB

Floppy Drives
Drive Speed: Normal

Amiga BIOS
KickStart ROM: Kick 1.3

valar
October 21st, 2006, 22:14
Tried setting chipset on in CPU speed control?

yeah ,I tried it.the setting is max,I also changed chipset ,chipmem for 1 meg.I have tried different settings and there's problem with music aswell maybe because demo loads in realtime?I'm not sure but there are couple games I tested like Another World,The Last Ninja ,Afterburner,Alien Breed 2 and they work really well.thanks.

fucht017
October 21st, 2006, 22:19
Thank you for the quick reply FOL...Syndicate workes again...And thanks for the settings..I'm gonna test some more games:D

FOL
October 21st, 2006, 22:26
Thank you for the quick reply FOL...Syndicate workes again...And thanks for the settings..I'm gonna test some more games:D

No problems, as I said, theres a compatability DB at pspuae.com, where you can select a game and see the tested working settings, you can also add to it.

FOL
October 21st, 2006, 22:29
yeah ,I tried it.the setting is max,I also changed chipset ,chipmem for 1 meg.I have tried different settings and there's problem with music aswell maybe because demo loads in realtime?I'm not sure but there are couple games I tested like Another World,The Last Ninja ,Afterburner,Alien Breed 2 and they work really well.thanks.

Yeh, things loading when cpu is in use, does cause a problem. Thanks, I just downloaded that demo, and I now remember it, aint seen it since I was 14, ;). Shame it aint a AmiDOS disk, or I could have made a RAM loader for it, then it would have run perfect.

Mr.Denny
October 21st, 2006, 23:10
This`ll go great with my new 1.5 XD

Thank you FOL!

FOL
October 21st, 2006, 23:21
I still havent tried this emu yet, I guess I was waiting for a bit more compatibility before I gave it a go. Ideal your on the case though and have released another update so soon! :)

Any idea how Cannon Fodder, North and South, Syndicate, Sensible Soccer, Alien Breed or Flashback play on this version?

I havent got my psp with me so I cant test em out yet. :(

Compatability is Very Good, aint found a game yet that doesnt work (excluding AGA games as there is no AGA support).

thinkpaetter
October 21st, 2006, 23:35
Can you release the source code?

FOL
October 21st, 2006, 23:39
Can you release the source code?

Of course, I will get it, and upload it tommorow to the pspuae.com source dir

thinkpaetter
October 21st, 2006, 23:52
thanks, i want to improve something.

FOL
October 21st, 2006, 23:56

Can I ask what? would you be able to help with PSPUAE?

FOL
October 22nd, 2006, 00:04
Hmmm, cant specify thread, wtf does that mean?

ACID
October 22nd, 2006, 00:34
Thanks a lot FOL great release keep up the great work.

Dano000
October 22nd, 2006, 01:37
umm sorry im a newbie and was wondering is this for 2.80?

Cloudhunter
October 22nd, 2006, 02:26
No, all homebrew unless it specifies "tiff" or "2.8" is 1.50 only.

Cloudy

THE PREDATOR
October 22nd, 2006, 05:05
Could someone please help me with this emulator, I've had no trouble with any of the other emulators, my psp is v1.5 I've tried sticking the files all over my memory card I've tried about 5 different kickstart v1.3 and i still can't get it to work I keep getting an error failed to load kickstart image 'kick13.rom' can anyone please help me.

SpacemanSpiff
October 22nd, 2006, 05:42
Hi, I'm on 1.50 and I get an error message if I try to use the maximum amount of memory (2560 Fast + 2048 Chip + 1536 Bog). I had to set fastmem to 1024 to get it to work. According to the readme I should be able to use the maximum amount of memory without any problems. What am I doing wrong? Also how much would using more memory improve the emulator's performance?

ACID
October 22nd, 2006, 06:09
Could someone please help me with this emulator, I've had no trouble with any of the other emulators, my psp is v1.5 I've tried sticking the files all over my memory card I've tried about 5 different kickstart v1.3 and i still can't get it to work I keep getting an error failed to load kickstart image 'kick13.rom' can anyone please help me.
Is kick13 unzziped and in the no% folder of the emulator. and in the game folder of your memory card.

THE PREDATOR
October 22nd, 2006, 06:41
Thanks for trying to help Acidburn, My files are in the right locations and my kick13 is unzipped.

ACID
October 22nd, 2006, 07:05
Thanks for trying to help Acidburn, My files are in the right locations and my kick13 is unzipped.
Wait did you say its named kick13.rom i thought it was suppost to be kick13.bin maibe thats it

Megahurtz
October 22nd, 2006, 09:10
Does It Came From The Desert work at full speed yet? Can someone confirm this for me?

Amiga
October 22nd, 2006, 09:31
Awesome release!!:D

games seem to run full speed on frame skip 2 and no sound :)

FOL
October 22nd, 2006, 11:15

I pasted abit of the readme, aslong as its in the right folder and named as below, kick13.rom, It should run fine. Are your Kickrom`s definately good, do they work in WinUAE?

KickStart 1.3 = kick13.rom (A500 - A1000 - A2000 - CDTV)

Should be placed in the following folder:-

------
MS0: (MemoryStick ROOT DIR)
|
|-PSP\
|
__|-GAME\
|
___|-__SCE__PSPUAE\

FOL
October 22nd, 2006, 11:16
umm sorry im a newbie and was wondering is this for 2.80?

Not sure as I dont have a V2.80 to test it, but it runs with the Tiff Eloader 0.99 fine.

FOL
October 22nd, 2006, 11:18
Hi, I'm on 1.50 and I get an error message if I try to use the maximum amount of memory (2560 Fast + 2048 Chip + 1536 Bog). I had to set fastmem to 1024 to get it to work. According to the readme I should be able to use the maximum amount of memory without any problems. What am I doing wrong? Also how much would using more memory improve the emulator's performance?

Sorry, my fault, the maximum`s, 5 Megs, only in the following config.

Fast = 3072KB
Chip = 2048KB
Slow = 0KB (Bogo)

I reupdate the ReadMe now, thanks for the heads up

FOL
October 22nd, 2006, 11:21
Does It Came From The Desert work at full speed yet? Can someone confirm this for me?

It runs fine, if you want a no floppy load (its RAM installed) SaveState, you can PM Hungry Horace here, or over at pspuae.com. Basically, gets rid of load times, which stops the sound problems which occure when floppy is loading.

FOL
October 22nd, 2006, 11:22

Source will be uploaded tonight or tommorow night (once I get home from work).

inakaguy
October 22nd, 2006, 13:02
Love this emu! But I was wondering if it is possible to map the arrow keys to the directional button. I want to play some of the old gold box D&D games and you can't control them using the joystick.

Otherwise, awesome work!

FOL
October 22nd, 2006, 13:11
Love this emu! But I was wondering if it is possible to map the arrow keys to the directional button. I want to play some of the old gold box D&D games and you can't control them using the joystick.

Otherwise, awesome work!

Not as yet, ill add it to the TO DO LIST.

inakaguy
October 22nd, 2006, 13:31
Not as yet, ill add it to the TO DO LIST.

Cheers man. That would be awesome. You're doing stirling work on this one.

Bartekandre
October 22nd, 2006, 15:19
FOL, youre the man! Thanks a bunch for all your hard work - i check your site almost every day - always looking forward to the next release. This is my favourite emu on the PSP, hands down :)

SpacemanSpiff
October 22nd, 2006, 15:33
Sorry, my fault, the maximum`s, 5 Megs, only in the following config.

Fast = 3072KB
Chip = 2048KB
Slow = 0KB (Bogo)

I reupdate the ReadMe now, thanks for the heads up
I still get out of memory error messages using that setup. The most amount of memory I can use seems to be 3.5 MB total (1024 Fast + 2048 Chip + 512 Slow), and to use 1536 Fast I have to decrease Chip AND Slow memory by 512 each, giving me only 3 MB total..

FOL
October 22nd, 2006, 17:12
I still get out of memory error messages using that setup. The most amount of memory I can use seems to be 3.5 MB total (1024 Fast + 2048 Chip + 512 Slow), and to use 1536 Fast I have to decrease Chip AND Slow memory by 512 each, giving me only 3 MB total..

Well, Ill have to talk to Horace, so he can check it out. All I can tell you is, I have tested using V1.50 Devhooked, which shouldnt make a difference. When I tested it, what I quoted worked fine.

Does this happen as soon as you set the settings for the first time or on load?
do you have an old config file from a previous version? if you have an old config file, then it loads that be default, if mem is to high, it will say out of mem, then when using readme maximums it still wont have it. Due to the first config load. Need to delete config file and run PSPUAE fresh, then reset up the options.

SpacemanSpiff
October 22nd, 2006, 17:49
It happens when I reset the Amiga. I tried deleting my old settings but I still can't use more than 1024/2048/512.

FOL
October 22nd, 2006, 18:46
It happens when I reset the Amiga. I tried deleting my old settings but I still can't use more than 1024/2048/512.

Definately odd, Ill have to get Horace to check it out, as i never had that problem when I was on 1.50, Im on DA 2.71 SE now.

Oh, have you changed the menu pic?

SpacemanSpiff
October 23rd, 2006, 04:47
No. When I downloaded it I just replaced the old eboots in the PSPUAE folder on my memory stick, so maybe if I try a clean install that'll fix it. But its late so I'll try tomorrow.

FOL
October 23rd, 2006, 19:47
No. When I downloaded it I just replaced the old eboots in the PSPUAE folder on my memory stick, so maybe if I try a clean install that'll fix it. But its late so I'll try tomorrow.

K, let me know if its ok.

Also, I asked Horace to check out the memory and the highest he could get was:-

FAST = 2048kb
CHIP = 2048kb
SLOW = 1024kb (Bogo)

Only that combination seems to work ok, other combinations to the total value of 5Megs work, but upon inserting a disk, PSPUAE crashes. So ill adjust the readme acordingly for next release.

So id say stick to the original specs, i.e. A500 = Chip 512kb and Slow = 512kb (via trapdoor upgrade). If you need alot of memory then use the config above. Someone also asked if upping the memory give speed increase, the answer to this is no.

SpacemanSpiff
October 23rd, 2006, 20:26
Would increasing the memory help with load times at all? A lot of games load painfully slowly, even with drive speed set to turbo.
Just tried a clean install but it still won't work. Am I missing something obvious, like you need to use a certain CPU type to support that much RAM? I don't know much about the Amiga hardware, so I don't know if that would make a difference. I'm using the default options for CPU Type and Chipset.

FOL
October 23rd, 2006, 21:05
Would increasing the memory help with load times at all? A lot of games load painfully slowly, even with drive speed set to turbo.
Just tried a clean install but it still won't work. Am I missing something obvious, like you need to use a certain CPU type to support that much RAM? I don't know much about the Amiga hardware, so I don't know if that would make a difference. I'm using the default options for CPU Type and Chipset.

No, it wont help with load times, as it will only load as fast as the drive and cpu allow.

Shouldnt make a difference, what cpu or chipset your using. I have use the mem config, on different Amiga specs and it works fine every time. Cant say I have noticed it load "painfully slow", only when CPU speed is set to "CHIPSET". If a game runs nice on "CHIPSET", then I normally leave it on "CPU" till the game loads, then switch it to "CHIPSET".

Myself and Horace, have made a lot of RAM Installed SaveStates. Where by the game is loaded all in RAM and savestated. They are available for download at pspuae.com. As they are SaveStates, drive is not used and loading is almost instant.

Hungry Horace
October 24th, 2006, 12:46
K, let me know if its ok.

Also, I asked Horace to check out the memory and the highest he could get was:-

FAST = 2048kb
CHIP = 2048kb
SLOW = 1024kb (Bogo).

this was *with* the menu background pic.

without it you can get 2meg chip, 4 meg fast, 0 slow.

these only work on fresh start of pspuae, since there seems to be a memory leak somewhere (savestate loading perhaps)

"odd" ammounts of memory, eg. 1.5 / 2.5 / 3 /3.5 meg fast etc, i.e not 0.5, 1s, 2s or 4s, seem to cause pspuae to guru (crash) in emulation when that part of the memory is accessed. i have mentioned this bug, but for some reason the options are still there. maybe Ric intends to fix them)

re: loading time.... FOL is absolutely right that our save-state pre-loaded Ram packs are the way forward! zero in-game loading times can only be a blessing. :D

most of the games on; http://www.whdload.de should be much faster loaders with this method.