PDA

View Full Version : Install PS3 games on hard drive

wraggster
October 23rd, 2006, 21:00
Selected PS3 games will offer the option to install, PC-style, on to the console's hard drive to allow faster in-game loading times, it was revealed at last Friday's Gamer's Day conference.

Slash-'em-up Genji: Days of the Blade allows a 4GB install that will drastically reduce the wait between scenes, MTV has reported - although that's not the entire contents of the game, as playing without the disc in the drive provides no music.

It's rumoured that two other PS3 launch titles shown at Gamer's Day - Resistance: Fall of Man and Ridge Racer 7 - also have this feature, in which case punters with the 20GB PS3 may find that those three alone would fill up their hard drive.

The more cynical among us might wonder if that means we can expect lengthy loading times from PS3 titles that aren't borrowing a chunk of our hard drive space - it's certainly been the case with our experience of games running off disc at E3 and the Tokyo Game Show. But it's still a welcome choice, and with some form of hard drive guaranteed in every PS3, no-one will be left out of the option.

emuking
October 24th, 2006, 00:16
nice sony is starting to go digital, hopefully more games will offer this feature

SnesR0X
October 24th, 2006, 03:19
if you have a good amount of games, there goes all you hard drive space though... but most likely they'll find another way of cutting down on load times

Video_freak
October 24th, 2006, 03:24
nice sony is starting to go digital, hopefully more games will offer this feature
Are you saying DVDs aren't digital?
Anyways, I personally think this may lead to piracy. I don't care for the PS3 anyways. :-P

Makaveli777
October 24th, 2006, 05:24
Good idea but hopefully wont steal all of the harddrive space.

Adrenalin
October 24th, 2006, 11:59
jeez, if ur talking 4 gb a game, this is crap. HDD's arent cheap enough to warrant such a waste of space

briyan
October 24th, 2006, 13:29
it probably won't be using that much space on your hard drive. 4gb seems to be a lot just to speed up loading time. i think the hard drive will be used for caching ala XBOX but not to the extent of taking up 1/4 of hard drive space. that's ridiculous!

F9zDark
October 24th, 2006, 18:04
jeez, if ur talking 4 gb a game, this is crap. HDD's arent cheap enough to warrant such a waste of space

What are you talking about? Hard-drives are mad cheap. 300GB SATA drive will run you 84 USD before shipping. For the price of the PS3 I can buy 7 of those drives, for a whopping 2.1 TERABYTES of space.

Thats 2100 Gigabytes, or 2,100,000 Megabytes...

October 24th, 2006, 23:34
If it's going to cut loading times it'll be worth it. Especially in Obli-

loading area

-vion :)

Adrenalin
October 25th, 2006, 09:10
What are you talking about? Hard-drives are mad cheap. 300GB SATA drive will run you 84 USD before shipping. For the price of the PS3 I can buy 7 of those drives, for a whopping 2.1 TERABYTES of space.

Thats 2100 Gigabytes, or 2,100,000 Megabytes...

Are you trying to tell me that you will be able to buy those 7 internal 300GB drives and that the ps3 will actually be able to recognise them (let alone 1, or to fit inside of it as they are INTERNAL) and for the "price of the ps3" (which happens to be so ridiculously expensive that i couldn't even purchase even it if i wanted it.)
???

please clarify!

not to mention its more expensive (after conversion) in australia where i live.

October 25th, 2006, 11:34
Are you trying to tell me that you will be able to buy those 7 internal 300GB drives and that the ps3 will actually be able to recognise them (let alone 1, or to fit inside of it as they are INTERNAL) and for the "price of the ps3" (which happens to be so ridiculously expensive that i couldn't even purchase even it if i wanted it.)
???

please clarify!

not to mention its more expensive (after conversion) in australia where i live.

He's saying you could buy one of those standard 300GB standard Sata drives and be able to use it straight away.

mnuhaily22
October 25th, 2006, 16:48
*cough*Piracy, has sony never heard of it.

October 25th, 2006, 17:20
*cough*Piracy, has sony never heard of it.

It will only copy certain files, I don't think Sony would be stupid enough to copy the entire disc.

potatoman
October 25th, 2006, 17:45
it couldnt copy a whole bluray anyway, thats 50gb, you'd have 2 buy a premium pack for that!

tisti
October 25th, 2006, 19:15
ROFL... Sure, like any game is gona take up 50GB of space. Impossible tbfh...

And you can always buy a bigger HD