PDA

View Full Version : IGNs Top 100 Games Of All Time

wraggster
October 23rd, 2006, 21:41
The gaming network IGN have posted their Top 100 games of all time, heres the top 10:

1.The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time(N64)
2.Chrono Trigger(SNES)
3.Resident Evil 4(GC, PS2)
4.Super Metroid (SNES)
5.The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES, GBA)
6.Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)
7.GoldenEye 007 (N64)
8.Final Fantasy III (US) (SNES)
9.Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
10.Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater(PS2)

A very Nintendo Dominated top 10, check out the full list here (http://top100.ign.com/2006/index.html)

JKKDARK
October 23rd, 2006, 21:45
mm a lot of rpg's. anyway, not bad.

eloyluna
October 23rd, 2006, 21:45
Boo ya first mario bros one

TCLCloud
October 23rd, 2006, 21:52
No GTA, FF7/8 or Wind Waker, pah, not the top 100 in my view......not even Halo!

Veskgar
October 23rd, 2006, 22:06
Can't argue too much with that list. At least with titles in the top 10.

Jonesyxxiv
October 23rd, 2006, 22:08
seems like a Good list. OOT and RE4 are my two favorite games of all time.

King of Fire
October 23rd, 2006, 22:10
MGS3 is my favorite it should be at least number 5....:( :cool:

Cloud_35
October 23rd, 2006, 22:12
Hey!!!:mad: where's FFVII???????

And Silent Hill!!!!! There's no Silent Hill!!!!!!:mad:

F9zDark
October 23rd, 2006, 22:20
Pretty good list, I must say. The games on there are certainly the better ones out there.

JKKDARK
October 23rd, 2006, 22:23
No GTA, FF7/8 or Wind Waker, pah, not the top 100 in my view......not even Halo!

It is 14) ;)

Hey!!! where's FFVII??????? :mad:

And Silent Hill!!!!! There's no Silent Hill!!!!!! :mad:

It is 20) ;)

S34MU5
October 23rd, 2006, 22:30
Should go
1)MGS
2)FFVII
3)MGS2
4)MGS3
5)KH2
6)FFIX
7)KH
8)Killzone
9)FFX
10)Super Mario world.
Some of them should actuall be in a different order.^
i could go on to do probably top 50
maybe just 50 top games

JKKDARK
October 23rd, 2006, 22:35
Should go
1)MGS
2)FFVII
3)MGS2
4)MGS3
5)KH2
6)FFIX
7)KH
8)Killzone
9)FFX
10)Super Mario world.
maybe just 50 top games

Wrong top 10. I'm seeing that you are a playstation fanboy.

felonyr301
October 23rd, 2006, 22:49
yes wrong top ten that list is very bias you especially must be a playstation fan.

Basil Zero
October 23rd, 2006, 22:51
Ocarina of Time makes it to another #1 on another list LOL

jman420
October 23rd, 2006, 22:56
Resident Evil 4 is unworthy, RE2 would have been a good choice, but RE4 has the single stupidest pointless story line I have ever seen..

And all dialouge makes so little sence...

Come on, IGN must be full of people that have smoked way to much crack...

beastie
October 23rd, 2006, 23:02
Resident Evil 4 is the best resi game to date

JKKDARK
October 23rd, 2006, 23:04
Resident Evil 4 is unworthy, RE2 would have been a good choice, but RE4 has the single stupidest pointless story line I have ever seen..

And all dialouge makes so little sence...

Come on, IGN must be full of people that have smoked way to much crack...
Yeah, RE4 is not great (I have PS2 version). But I would prefer RE Code: Veronica, it was amazing. RE2 was good, but CV wa a lot better.

JKKDARK
October 23rd, 2006, 23:05
Resident Evil 4 is the best resi game to date

mm the only RE that you played, right?

beastie
October 23rd, 2006, 23:05
God of War should be in the top 5.

beastie
October 23rd, 2006, 23:07
Ive played and finished every resi game.
have u?

JKKDARK
October 23rd, 2006, 23:11
Ive played and finished every resi game.
have u?

Yes, exept Outbreak (becuase I don't have this one).
How the **** you prefer the 4 and not CV? RE4 has an horrible gameplay and it is very easy.

jman420
October 23rd, 2006, 23:15
Resident Evil 4: Worst Resident Evil game ever...

It has great graphics, and great sound (music and effects) and it's realy entertaining.. but, throughout the whole game, there is no good story...

you get thrown onto this island, to find the president's kidnapped daughter.. but, your a cop, from a small town (why wouldnt the president send butt loads of cia agents?!) anyway, and you arrive, to find this guy in a house (that you just randomly broke into) then ya have to kill him... when you do, you get a call from your dear ole' friend, Hunnigan... who tells you useless crap that has nothing to do with the game...

then you continue onto the town center, where ya have to kill a whole bunch of foul mouthed mexicans.. who all randomly run away to go to church...

and later in the game, you go to answer your walkie talkie, and this kid Saddler talks to you, why not Hunnigan?? and why would this 2 foot tall kid want to torture you anyway??

none of it makes sence, all the way through it has nothing to do with the "T" or "G" virus, none of it has to do with Umbrella corp. and Ada, somehow comes back to life after being shot, and falling off a catwalk in Resident Evil 2... but then, in RE4, she decides to go looking for her boyfriend again, this time in Europe, but at the end, the objective was to steal the "Las Plagas" sample from you... after you worked so freeking hard to get it, she steals it and fly's away...

(I wont go over the whole story line, but it is the single worst video game story I have ever known)

Halo was good not because of its graphics, not because of its music, not because of its kill factor.. it was good because it had an original story, and was told very well (without any irregularities)

BUT I AM NOT JUST FLAMING! I just wanted to point out how, this game being placed at 3rd place is not right... Halo would have been far better...

And! They never once mentioned the truly greatest game ever, Y's The Vannished Omens by falcom, for Sega Master System, 1988....

beastie
October 23rd, 2006, 23:24
Halo is overated give me HALF-LIFE 2 or FEAR any day.

JKKDARK
October 23rd, 2006, 23:24
And! They never once mentioned the truly greatest game ever, Y's The Vannished Omens by falcom, for Sega Master System, 1988....
It's one of my favorite master system games, along with phantasy star

Emeriastone
October 23rd, 2006, 23:38
Yeah, I'll go with IGN on this one. Top 100 looks good.

Junixx
October 23rd, 2006, 23:39

Half Life 2 owns :) but not CSS :p

Top 100 looks fine to me, I would have to say OOT is one of the most memorable games I've played, along side with the Genesis-era Sonic :D

pang1978
October 23rd, 2006, 23:59
I think Panzer Dragon Saga, Shining Force 3 and Phantasy Star Online should be in that list too.

emuking
October 24th, 2006, 00:09
i agree with top 1, zelda:OoT is the best game i have ever played, i hope zelda:TP is good too

TeenDev
October 24th, 2006, 01:12
dude, Halo: Combat Evolved shoud be #1

plungmonies
October 24th, 2006, 01:19
it should be noted that this list is for the readers top 100 and not ign themselves. IGN published their own top 100 in 2005.
http://top100.ign.com/2005/index.html

wolfpack
October 24th, 2006, 01:46
wheres vice city? thats my numero uno

cartmandude14
October 24th, 2006, 01:46
wheres's doom?

JKKDARK
October 24th, 2006, 01:58
I think Panzer Dragon Saga, Shining Force 3 and Phantasy Star Online should be in that list too.

Yeah, PSO was the first online RPG on a home console. Must be added to the list ;)

Jonesyxxiv
October 24th, 2006, 02:04
Whats with all the RE4 bashing? RE4 is by far the best RE. I agree with IGNs other list, Super Mario 64 and StarCraft should be on the list.

woods05
October 24th, 2006, 02:35
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on top. Exactly where it should be.

jman420
October 24th, 2006, 03:10
But there have been so many games, Zelda was over hyped too... I wanted to see games like:

Y's The Vannished Omens,
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest,
Final Fantasy VIII,
Conker's Bad Fur Day,
Max Payne 2,
Deus Ex: Invisible War,
Resident Evil 0,
Halo: Combat Evolved,
Super Mario Brothers,
Fur Fighters..

Thats my list, I think that those games are better then the top 10 they picked...

Now, someone said that Halo is overrated, well look at Zelda:OoT... It's very overrated. . . Halo could have gone in the #1 spot lol....

Junior
October 24th, 2006, 04:38
This list is messed up.

So many great PC games neglected. Instead, we have almost every Zelda, every Mario and every Metroid and Castlevania Title the world has ever seen.

Sure, these are great games. But what would you think if I put Ultima 1 - 7 in there? All of them?!

Anyway, where are games like: Ultima? The best roleplaying series? Ultima VII anyone? Where's Gothic? The most fantastic Action-Adventure-RPG the world has ever seen? Where's System Shock in there? Hell, where's Monkey Island? Where's Command & Conquer? Where's StarCraft? Where's Diablo? Deus Ex? Doom?

And what the hell is Smackdown vs. Raw doing in that list? Final Fantasy III - huh?.

Where did these guys hide all the good games?

Makaveli777
October 24th, 2006, 05:56
This list dont count because I said so. I think people voted mostly because of nostalgia. Where is superman64 lol. JK those games are good but I dont agree with the list.

Borde
October 24th, 2006, 06:12
That's right Junior, Mokey Island 1 should definitely be in the TOP10. So should Half-Life 1 be (yes, the second was good, but not so good).
But I can't agree with you with FFIII (or 6, depending your county). That one is probably the best Final Fantasy to.

Cap'n 1time
October 24th, 2006, 06:57
Its wrong of them to try to mix the classics with these new releases. I would take a game of Unreal Tournament over that HL2 shit any day.

FF2 us > FF3 any day of the week :)

Amethyst
October 24th, 2006, 07:08
One word: TETRIS!!!

Where in the f'ck is this game that has dominated every cell phone, made-in-taiwan flea-market electronics, and elderly person!?

Resident Evil 0? Yeah, right. That game is just above RE4 for me which is pretty low in my RE list (anchored by RE: Survivor). RE2 is definitely more worthy than RE4.

Oh, yeah. SILENT HILL!!! Arguably the most disturbing game in history is left off the list!? If not Silent Hill then Silent Hill 2.

jman420
October 24th, 2006, 08:02
no doubt on the RE2, that is why I'm remaking it for PSP :D cause it kicks ice...
But, RE0 was very good, it was the first real time rendered Resident Evil game, and I have respect for that...

the other thing is, RE0 has a great story! come on peope! stories is where its at! the game was based on a somewhat assinine meeting of a cop and a fugitive, but it turned into a great game of searching a very detailed mansion, which of course was the basis for the original Reisident Evil, so it did have a great tie to the entertainment of the original.. plus, the intire thing was scary as hell.. when you have that leach guy come after you, and you shoot the top half off, and he blows up in your face, it just scares the crap out of you... you gotta get tha fack outa there before he blows up...

plus, if my girlfriend says its the best, its the best damnit! :p

and if that dude that said somthing about FF3 was talking about my suggestion of a FF game, I was saying that FF VII, thats eight, should have been in the top 10.. not 2, not 3, not 7, but 8...

either FF 8, or FF 9 should have been on the list..

and of couse, FFMQ pewns all other FF's anyway, so it should still be on top...

and in comment to your Tetris comment, I agree, where's Pong, or Tetris, or Asteroids, or Tempest... the true great games... (even though I am not from that generation, they were and still are great games)

Adrenalin
October 24th, 2006, 13:45
well, i only own 2 of the top 10, but thats cuz i'm poor XD! at least i got the number one game! OOT all the way.... untill the twilight reaches us.....

PSPKOR
October 24th, 2006, 15:34
I would agree with most of them, though I would put them in a different order and would have GTA:3 in the top 5 at least.

F9zDark
October 24th, 2006, 17:21
you get thrown onto this island, to find the president's kidnapped daughter.. but, your a cop, from a small town (why wouldnt the president send butt loads of cia agents?!)

Leon was promoted for his actions in Raccoon City to NSA(?), I forget what branch of service, but its damn high up and totally makes sense.

I liked RE4 alot actually, because it put the player right into the action, however I hated how after a while headshots became useless because the enemies would have the parasite sticking out their necks...

Yeah Halo is certainly overrated, so overrated that Microshit thought that making Halo and Halo2 compatibility on the X360 was more important than any of its other games...

FEAR should have been on that list...

EverestX
October 24th, 2006, 19:12
What in gods Name? No Fighters Megamix? No Virtual on? ...I loose faith in "video game voters" all the time.. There isn't even Nights into Dreams. Luckily Radiant Silvergun is on there with Soul Calibur. But Halo 2? Ha, talk about shitty sequal, at least RE 4 was fun and a bit diffrent. Halo2 is halo1 + dual wield and the homo sword.

S34MU5
October 24th, 2006, 19:42
Wrong top 10. I'm seeing that you are a playstation fanboy.

I am a fan of xbox and nintendo and pc games aswell.

maybe just 50 top games.

Yes, exept Outbreak (becuase I don't have this one).
How the **** you prefer the 4 and not CV? RE4 has an horrible gameplay and it is very easy..

Dead aim? (worst game ever)
Anyway MGS is the best game series EVER
and it came out for gamecube(not sony)

KenshinKajima
October 24th, 2006, 19:44
WTH!

they skipped like. . .everything worth putting on the list and then added some total crap!

Ill agree, OoT rocks (prolly No.1 worthy). . .Goldeneye is good. . .but what the **** is RE4 and Snake Eater on there for??? Where is Jet Grind Radio? Panzer Dragoon Saga? Sonic (seriously)??? Ratchet and Clank and Metroid Prime arent exactly top 20 worthy either. . .and HL1 gets 89? Kingdom Hearts just barely made it. . which is stupid. . .and last time i checked not alot of ppl considered NBA street 2 a classic. . . what a bunch of retards. . .

Oh, and they have 2 different GTA games on there why? In case im the only one that noticed. . .all GTA games are about the same. . they just tweek the new one, rename the character and make a different city. . not sure that merits 2 spots on the chart. . it would have been smarter to condense all the games into series (i.e. Super Mario Series, Zelda Series, FF series. . etc)

Cirus
October 24th, 2006, 20:14
1. Final Fantasy 7

tbh alot could back me up here

also Half life 1 shud be in top 5 and tomb raider like number 2/3 ( 1st 1 was soo original and :D )

Cap'n 1time
October 25th, 2006, 06:32
bah, i say we make our own top 100!

geise69
October 25th, 2006, 19:41
Where the hell is Gunstar Heroes? Where the hell is Contra 3: The Alien Wars? Where the hell is contra in general on that list? Where the hell is Tetris? Where the hell is TMNT Turtles in Time? Where the hell is Sonic 1? What the hell has the gaming world come to? That is what you get for a "readers list" on a big game site that mostly has 15 year olds that started gaming with the ps2 and xbox? Sigh...

Gold Line
October 30th, 2006, 12:11
WHAT secret of mana is no49 final fantasy 7 no20 these 2 games must be in the top 15 the only thing i think is right is zelda oot at no1 secret of mana is the best old school game i know:mad:

http://www.ff-fan.com/chartest/banners/cloud.jpg (http://ff-fan.com)

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/2470/userbar224844dh6.gif (http://ubanimator.com)http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/7006/userbar224838su3.gif

A eloader for 2.80 would be great :)

THE PREDATOR
October 30th, 2006, 12:36
In no particular order
The last ninja (c64)
Resident evil 4 (ps2)
Castlevania sotn (ps1)
Wave race (n64)
Robocop (arcade)
Zelda oot (n64)
Ghost n goblins (arcade)
Alien vs predator (arcade)
God of war (ps2)
Tomb raider (ps1)

Composer
October 30th, 2006, 12:50
There’s no way everyone is going to agree! That’s what an opinion is, there is no game that is better than another! It’s just opinions