PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Vita sales flat as 3DS soar

wraggster
January 13th, 2012, 00:26
Sony's new handheld has maintained a steady level of sales in its fourth week on the market, but Nintendo has widened the gap.
Vita sold 42,915 units in the week ending January 8th, a slight improvements on the 42,468 units from the previous week (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/vita-sales-fall-below-50k-in-japan/089373). Sony claims 500,000 units have been sold to date, according toGamasutra (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39589/Vita_sales_flat_in_Japan_as_3DS_surge_continues.ph p).
However, 3DS weekly sales have leapt from 197,952 to 240,819. The Nintendo handheld has shifted 4.5m units in Japan since its launch last February.
Unsurprisingly the software charts were also dominated by 3DS. Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Monster Hunter 3G and Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine/Dark took to the top four positions.
No Vita titles made it into the Top 20, although Media Create only tracks physical retail sales so the number of titles purchased through the handheld itself is unknown.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/japanese-vita-sales-flat-as-3ds-soar/089683

Fonixx
January 13th, 2012, 15:33
If Vita sales are weak in Japan do you really think it stands a chance in Hell in the West? I'm looking at the release titles and all the games announced by developers and i honestly don't think this is worth buying, because it may be called Vita but i just see another Psp, so you'll get a handful of decent games in the first few years, then... Well if you've owned a Psp you'll know the mediocrity that comes next.

DPyro
January 13th, 2012, 20:43
The launch titles for the US is suppose to be better. I personally won't be buying a vita for at least a few years when the price drops, or until its fully hacked.

Shrygue
January 13th, 2012, 21:45
Same, I don't really wanna pay £230-£280 for the PSvita unless there's a serious price cut. Granted, I would like one if there's a good line up of titles later on.

Fonixx
January 16th, 2012, 17:30
Sadly adults already have a new portable console and they called iPhone & Android, and yeah obviously they not proper consoles but the average Psp & Vita owner is almost guaranteed to also own a Smartphone and spend a considerable amount of their free hours using that, so to me even if Piracy didn't ever exist on Psp it wouldn't have stopped it being almost dead for the last few years in the West, so common sense tells you the Vita has no real chance of success because less gaming hours put in means less games bought and that means developers stop making decent games then the hardcore handheld gamers also give up on it, so i'll give it 2 years before developers just right it off like they have with Psp.

Xorad
January 19th, 2012, 10:45
Sadly adults already have a new portable console and they called iPhone & Android, and yeah obviously they not proper consoles but the average Psp & Vita owner is almost guaranteed to also own a Smartphone and spend a considerable amount of their free hours using that, so to me even if Piracy didn't ever exist on Psp it wouldn't have stopped it being almost dead for the last few years in the West, so common sense tells you the Vita has no real chance of success because less gaming hours put in means less games bought and that means developers stop making decent games then the hardcore handheld gamers also give up on it, so i'll give it 2 years before developers just right it off like they have with Psp.

I want to say you're wrong but sadly enough, I have o arguments against your theory:/ its just Angry Birds isn't really a game, if you know what i mean :/