PDA

View Full Version : Not a Good Day for Gamers and also DCEmu

wraggster
October 24th, 2006, 21:05
In a world that is now smaller than ever thanks to the internet and the millions upon millions it is disgraceful that a company can force the people of Europe to not buy their product from overseas if we want to buy it.

Sony are idiots, plain and simple, when import gamers buy consoles it creates a fanbase in countrys who cant have that console for whatever reason and then that builds up into quite a momentum.

Sony were not losing money they were getting people buying their consoles, does it really bloody matter where the consoles are brought from ?

Yep they are full of shit, you dont see Nintendo or Microsoft pulling that type of crap, will this affect sales of Sony stuff, i dunno but people will think much harder about it i would think. the arrogance of Sony over the PS3 hopefully will give them the kick up the arse they so need.

Losing Lik Sang is a major blow to the homebrew scene as they sponsored many a competition and they were especially good to DCEmu for many years which saddens me more.

But the fall of Lik Sang causes problems for our Dream Coding Grand Prix 2006 as the prize they sponsored will now not exist that and problems with paypal are going to force me to do some thinking over the competition.

Newsposting will commence the moment i catch up on work following the Lik Sang announcement.

Vega
October 24th, 2006, 21:06
Well.. Sony are now trying to DENY it .

I posted this up in the submit news forum too - -

In a statement issued to GamesIndustry.biz, Sony has denied any responsibility for the closure of Lik-Sang - accusing the online retailer of "sour grapes".

The statement begins by observing that Sony Computer Entertainment has successfully sued Pacific Game Technology, which uses Lik-Sang as one of its trading names, for infringing intellectual property rights.

"Lik-Sang did not contest this case (i.e. they did not turn up and therefore incurred no legal costs). We have been awarded substantial costs against Lik-Sang which have not been paid," the statement claims.

"We would therefore strongly deny that our actions have had anything to do with this website closing (we assume the legal entity is still trading), and would suggest that this release is sour grapes on behalf of Lik-Sang which is aimed to belittle Sony Computer Entertainment and the British judicial system that found against them."

Earlier today, Lik-Sang announced it was going out of business, citing a series of lawsuits filed by Sony as the reason for the closure. The retailer also alleged that several SCE executives purchased import PSP hardware and software on its website.

Sony responded, "The purchasing of PSP consoles by SCE employees would be for investigatory purposes. We would also like to express our surprise at a company releasing personal information about its consumers, as this is contrary to data protection principles around the world."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20564

splodger15
October 24th, 2006, 21:11
Sony are idiots

Very true

The_Ultimate_Eggman
October 24th, 2006, 21:19
Like i said in another post i feel thisis the thin end o a large $ONY shaped wedge and think its the start of something more sinister.

crypysmoker
October 24th, 2006, 21:21
its sad. they are going broke plain and simple over the damn piece of crap PS3 and the beautiful psp ;)

This shows how desperate they are fo rmoney as to not only think ahead of themselves, but not making any sense to kill off one of thier major retailers. sony still makes money of off link sang when they buy products from sony, then resell the.. that is perfectly legal as long as Link sang didnt put thier own liceenses or change the product in anyway.

F**K you sony and the dead horses you road in on

Zion
October 24th, 2006, 21:22
Sony are morons

Xiofire
October 24th, 2006, 21:24
Sony are idiots
Amen Brother! Amen! :D
-Xiofire

aries2k4
October 24th, 2006, 21:25
It figures they deny responsibility. Didn´t they deny the rootkit at first?

Vega
October 24th, 2006, 21:27
what exactly was the RootKit?

hack.fool
October 24th, 2006, 21:33
yeah wragg, you're totally right but what can we do?..
I mean.. sony are totally idiot and they don't want jap console in other country and we can only sit here and look to their fool plans..
sadly the people that buy the games (I mean me and you and every single person that love videogame) can't make decision for a gigant multinational like sony..in other words..we can only wait to buy their new release...yeah wragg.. it's a sad day for us :(

amadeus
October 24th, 2006, 21:37
what exactly was the RootKit?

Read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_CD_copy_protection_scandal) and be prepare to get very angry if you own one of the 52 affected albums...

Reason why I dont but sony cds anymore

Cloud_35
October 24th, 2006, 21:42
I.HATE.SONY.

:mad:

(Is there something you can't find on Wikipedia?)

Vega
October 24th, 2006, 21:43
wow... how nice... including Spyware with Music cds. I had no idea of this.

Just goes to show, sony are indeed stupid morons

ExcruciationX
October 24th, 2006, 21:43
Sony are morons
Amen! :) :mad:

MUDD
October 24th, 2006, 21:52
(wraggster)Losing Lik Sang is a major blow to the homebrew scene as they sponsored many a competition and they were especially good to DCEmu for many years which saddens me more.

now we know the truth.

LONG LIVE SONY

hahahaha
October 24th, 2006, 22:04
This is very disappointing news indeed and I hope this causes an uproar among sony fans. Something really needs to knock sony off of their high horse to make them see the real truth that they refuse to see: Sony is nothing without the consumers or retailers. And guess what sony? If you piss enough of us off, you will lose.

element2
October 24th, 2006, 22:14
HEY MUDD!!!!
what are you for an *****??
why do you mean by ´´LONG LIVE SONY´´???

the hombrew cometitions were very interesting! and without lik sang´s dead , also a good trade center for ´´hombrew hardware´´ is dead!!!
i mean i´ve got all my consoles and flashcards from lik sang.
so ,why do you symphatic with sony?
did ya see the thread about the XCP???
THATS CRAZY, MAD AND TOTALLY SHIT!!

homebrew1973
October 24th, 2006, 22:20
Why do I get the feeling that as soon as the PS3 is released certain people will be even more determined to crack the protections of Blu-Ray and it`s games and indeed anything else about it purely out of spite as they`ll detest Sony even more now.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
October 24th, 2006, 22:24
Sony Really Makes Me Angry.....dammit Sony, Dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Briggzy11
October 24th, 2006, 22:24
Sony are complete *******s...

...I know i break forum rules swearing and I am sorry but my feelings for Sony at the moment, bet you all wouldnt believe I even cancelled my PS3 reservation...

SiZiOUS
October 24th, 2006, 22:34
never planned to buy sony, now i'll never do.

zidanerick
October 24th, 2006, 22:43
I think if anyone has any respect for the gamers overseas then they should boycott launch day, just to show sony that they arent all powerful as they think they are, at least they lost a case in australia regarding mod chips but there is no reason why i shouldnt be able to buy anything i choose from overseas, except drugs/weapons of course

TrowaX
October 24th, 2006, 22:58
This is a big blow to the community and Lik-Sang. I was so mad when i first heard that Lik-Sang is going out of Bussniess due to the lawsuit from sony. T_T Now this changes the way i see sony as a Corporation. I think Nintendo Wii would be my next console.

Elven6
October 24th, 2006, 23:01
fricken Sony, first Bleem!, then the DreamCast (With all of Sonys lies and stuff), and now Lik Sang!

I doubt im buying Sony from this point on!

October 24th, 2006, 23:05
I think if anyone has any respect for the gamers overseas then they should boycott launch day

How would that show "respect"? Besides, you're plans already failed, I'm getting a PS3 on launch day in the UK :)

Makaveli777
October 24th, 2006, 23:07
As long as they deliver good games on ps3 as good as they delivered on ps2 sony isnt too bad in my eyes. Even though the lawsuit was pretty pointless and I dont see how they would benefit from it.

Anger
October 24th, 2006, 23:08
ill make this as simple as i can.

sony can now officially go **** themselves.

R.I.P. Lik-Sang

a shame no other big backers could contribute to lik-sangs legal cause and actually give sony something to think about.

i apologise, but this is the proverbial straw.

Paiku
October 24th, 2006, 23:13
Am I the only one who don't give a damn?

The Hombrew Hunter
October 24th, 2006, 23:22
(wraggster)Losing Lik Sang is a major blow to the homebrew scene as they sponsored many a competition and they were especially good to DCEmu for many years which saddens me more.

now we know the truth.

LONG LIVE SONY

Mudd, why are you here? If it's just to down Admins and Mods and anyone else and troll, then get the f(_)ck off of DCEmu and go to some retarded Playstation fanboy forums! You too, Synthesis. You haven't made a single productive post that I've seen!

This is a sad day, that's one less prize for one less lucky person, now luckless...

October 24th, 2006, 23:30
You too, Synthesis. You haven't made a single productive post that I've seen!

Is that because I'm supporting Sony over Lik-Sang?

The Hombrew Hunter
October 24th, 2006, 23:33
No, just I've seen no post where you helped anyone with a problem, and all you did was troll on others.

October 24th, 2006, 23:36
No, just I've seen no post where you helped anyone with a problem, and all you did was troll on others.

God forbid I discuss and put my opinion across on an internet messageboard!

The Hombrew Hunter
October 24th, 2006, 23:41
Screw it, I refuse to converse with an ass....

Anyway, I hope I can finish my game for the DCGP...If it's still going.

malakai5
October 25th, 2006, 00:10
Hi people I’m normally a forum ‘viewer’ not a poster but this has provoked me to make my first post.:)

Lik-Sang did not close down because of a lawsuit; it closed because of multiple lawsuits (plural people) against them. They got legally snowballed with lawsuits (internationally in various countries), spread them thin and one lawsuit will eventually nail’em.

Quoted from GameIndustry.biz from a statement by Sony

"Lik-Sang did not contest this case (i.e. they did not turn up and therefore incurred no legal costs). We have been awarded substantial costs against Lik-Sang which have not been paid," the statement claims.

"We would therefore strongly deny that our actions have had anything to do with this website closing (we assume the legal entity is still trading), and would suggest that this release is sour grapes on behalf of Lik-Sang which is aimed to belittle Sony Computer Entertainment and the British judicial system that found against them."

Sony Europe has been awarded costs that needs to be satisfied by Lik-Sang or more specifically its parent trading company Pacific Game Technology (Holding) Limited. This is an undisclosed amount that must be met alongside the legal fees and resources used internationally to cover the other lawsuits brought by Sony on to Pacific Game Technology (Holding) Limited, in my view leading them to cease trading under Lik-Sang. Its safe to assume that Sony’s ‘action’ in this matter is pretty self evident in Lik-Sang closing.:mad:

Sony statement released with the derogatory term “sour grapes” is uncalled for and uncivilised harkening itself to a mentality of an immature young child, not a billion dollar corporation. Check out the below news thread for Pascal Clarysse (Lik-Sang Marketing Manager) 1st reaction statement to the judgement.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20536

Sony Europe has cited “dishonest manner” in selling PSP and “infringement of intellectual property” along with breaches in copyright laws for their reasons against Lik-Sang, and I would very much like to know the specifics in what way Lik-Sang broke copyright laws. Unfortunately Lik-Sang named and shamed certain heads of Sony Europe, which they shouldn’t have done – they should just have said certain heads of Sony Europe bought from them. Which to me is hypocrisy, if its good for certain heads of Sony Europe why isn’t it good for the rest of us.

Now with we’ve had mixed reactions to this. On the left with Pro Lik-Sang are the likes of Vega and on the right Sony Fanboy Mudd. All are valid points however let me point out one thing. I’ve never bought from Sony or Lik-Sang (ever period) but to me this is in effect Sony Europe suing and winning damages against Lik-Sang for the RIGHT of European (especially the UK) customers of buying Sony products outside our region. It’s the consumer’s choice to buy where, when and how they want.

Sony proclaims its protecting their customers due to ‘hardware’ related issues, it is NOT Sony’s RIGHT to tell customers where, when and how to buy their products. It’s a RIGHT to FREEDOM of CHOICE by the consumer. People choose to buy products from outside their regions most knowing their will be mainly ‘electrical power’ issues. Sony has no right to tell us we cannot buy their product from other regions or put down other businesses for supplying a service on a product they own and will get a return on. Because it’s our money and choice to do as we see fit and this goes for all billion dollar corporations.

The Sony Crush List
http://www.nuplayer.co.uk
http://www.lik-sang.com

Anyone want to add anymore?!!!:D

Basil Zero
October 25th, 2006, 00:23
Didnt Nintendo and Microsoft sue them also?

Broadus
October 25th, 2006, 00:27
What the f- You've got to be kidding.
They make the PSP, an amazing device loaded with potential, and now Sony has made stupid decision after stupid decision, especially trying to stop imports, which make them MORE money. What in the hell? They're just trying to cause problems for not only their fans, but themselves.

acn010
October 25th, 2006, 00:38
boycott anyone?
this is sad....

emuking
October 25th, 2006, 00:51
damn sony, i was planning on buying a gp2x from lik-sang, best store ever ruined by the best aholes known to mankind called sony :(

BudFern
October 25th, 2006, 01:28
I have always boycotted Sony, but I'm not quite sure why. I think it's just that I go for the underdog and that hasn't been Sony. I kinda wanted a PSP, but now probally won't buy one. If they take a loss on the PSP, maybe we should all buy one, but find alternate ways of obtaining software so they don't make $$ off of us. lol

Zombo
October 25th, 2006, 01:51
Ditto this is where I got the imports....the Slide Card...and now when I have enough money for a GPX2 BAM The site is closed.

emuking
October 25th, 2006, 03:47
hopefully lik-sang will reopen as a different store, nah theyre buried, anyways there is always superufo.com and play-asia.com for imports so i guess yay, no not yay, i still miss lik-sang :(

Anger
October 25th, 2006, 03:59
anyone wanting to boycott sony and still get a sony product - buy second hand, that way they dont get a damn penny from you.

Psychondrius
October 25th, 2006, 05:41
I will now always buy my stuff used if its from Sony. They will never see profits from me. EVER. I buy my PS2 games used 3 for $10 and newly-buffed. I'll rip Sony off legally!!!

jason867
October 25th, 2006, 05:59
$ony & Shin-Ra, one and the same...

monaug5
October 25th, 2006, 08:30
wraggster and the DCEmu team what will happen to the DCEmu Coding Compo?

donj
October 25th, 2006, 08:40
Sony casre about there eurpean customers and dont want them to get the inferior asia version. its ok to let the asias electrocute themselves but the eurpeans ight start coplaing once they suffer a lot of casualties.

Adrenalin
October 25th, 2006, 09:04
Sony responded, "The purchasing of PSP consoles by SCE employees would be for investigatory purposes. We would also like to express our surprise at a company releasing personal information about its consumers, as this is contrary to data protection principles around the world."

What, to investigate their systems seeing as they have never played them before?

go lik-sang for releasing the info. sony got owned in that regard.

Darksaviour69
October 25th, 2006, 09:23
wraggster and the DCEmu team what will happen to the DCEmu Coding Compo?

it will be still going ahead, but the second prize from lik-sang (a ds) will be out ;(

monaug5
October 25th, 2006, 10:06
OH NO darn but atleast the paypal money will still be available by the way when will the page be updated/

Darksaviour69
October 25th, 2006, 10:51
OH NO darn but atleast the paypal money will still be available by the way when will the page be updated/

well actually we had problems with the paypal account (could not get it verfiyed), and the donations had to be refunded. But I setting up a new paypal account that should be verfiyed soon, and we can start excepting donations again.

The Hombrew Hunter
October 25th, 2006, 12:17
Actually, something better than PSP is GP2X. My next console of choice. (Besides Wii!) Fullspeed NeoGeoPocket, Fullspeed NES, Fullspeed Genesis...

Hopefully, full speed SNES soon.

monaug5
October 25th, 2006, 12:38
oh i see will the deadline date be pushed back?

Darksaviour69
October 25th, 2006, 13:10
no, we should be able to get the donations again soon enough

monaug5
October 25th, 2006, 14:19
cool :D now i have more effort to submit more of my game

Makaveli777
October 25th, 2006, 18:49
Actually, something better than PSP is GP2X. My next console of choice. (Besides Wii!) Fullspeed NeoGeoPocket, Fullspeed NES, Fullspeed Genesis...

Hopefully, full speed SNES soon.

How is GP2X better than psp. PSP is capable of all of those things you mentioned and more. Its also capable of a full speed ps1 emulator which I dont think GP2X is capable of. Well basically psp has better specs. Not saying GP2X aint sweet though. Truthfully only thing I see better about GP2X is the lack of firmware updates.

EDIT: Wow :eek: I just saw psx4all on gp2x... pretty good. Maybe it is on the level of psp on specs. We will just have wait to see if ps1p will be better and if it has sound or not.

BlackJack23
October 25th, 2006, 19:26
Do not be so quick to judge Sony.
They are, after all, the ones who gave us the PSP are they not?

Idiots you say?
Are the real idiots not the ones who use the idiot's ideas and inventions?

Think again before speaking for what you say may very well land you in a paradox.

The Hombrew Hunter
October 25th, 2006, 20:40
How is GP2X better than psp. PSP is capable of all of those things you mentioned and more. Its also capable of a full speed ps1 emulator which I dont think GP2X is capable of. Well basically psp has better specs. Not saying GP2X aint sweet though. Truthfully only thing I see better about GP2X is the lack of firmware updates.

EDIT: Wow :eek: I just saw psx4all on gp2x... pretty good. Maybe it is on the level of psp on specs. We will just have wait to see if ps1p will be better and if it has sound or not.

Actually, I'm fairly certain the GP2X has more power than PSP. But don't get me wrong, PSP homebrew is cool.

But I'd rather NOT own something by SONY! I know a guy with GP2X...Full speed Genesis and Sound emulation, NeoGeoPocket, and have you seen the page for GP2X at DCEmu? so many emus!

monaug5
October 25th, 2006, 22:53
I guess so i am selling my PSP on Ebay soon because of what Sony has done

muffinman
October 26th, 2006, 00:45
why would you sell your psp cause of what sony has done?

that doesnt affect them you just miss out on the great things the psp brings to us

F9zDark
October 26th, 2006, 18:40
Hi people I’m normally a forum ‘viewer’ not a poster but this has provoked me to make my first post.:)

Lik-Sang did not close down because of a lawsuit; it closed because of multiple lawsuits (plural people) against them. They got legally snowballed with lawsuits (internationally in various countries), spread them thin and one lawsuit will eventually nail’em.

Quoted from GameIndustry.biz from a statement by Sony

Sony Europe has been awarded costs that needs to be satisfied by Lik-Sang or more specifically its parent trading company Pacific Game Technology (Holding) Limited. This is an undisclosed amount that must be met alongside the legal fees and resources used internationally to cover the other lawsuits brought by Sony on to Pacific Game Technology (Holding) Limited, in my view leading them to cease trading under Lik-Sang. Its safe to assume that Sony’s ‘action’ in this matter is pretty self evident in Lik-Sang closing.:mad:

Sony statement released with the derogatory term “sour grapes” is uncalled for and uncivilised harkening itself to a mentality of an immature young child, not a billion dollar corporation. Check out the below news thread for Pascal Clarysse (Lik-Sang Marketing Manager) 1st reaction statement to the judgement.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20536

Sony Europe has cited “dishonest manner” in selling PSP and “infringement of intellectual property” along with breaches in copyright laws for their reasons against Lik-Sang, and I would very much like to know the specifics in what way Lik-Sang broke copyright laws. Unfortunately Lik-Sang named and shamed certain heads of Sony Europe, which they shouldn’t have done – they should just have said certain heads of Sony Europe bought from them. Which to me is hypocrisy, if its good for certain heads of Sony Europe why isn’t it good for the rest of us.

Now with we’ve had mixed reactions to this. On the left with Pro Lik-Sang are the likes of Vega and on the right Sony Fanboy Mudd. All are valid points however let me point out one thing. I’ve never bought from Sony or Lik-Sang (ever period) but to me this is in effect Sony Europe suing and winning damages against Lik-Sang for the RIGHT of European (especially the UK) customers of buying Sony products outside our region. It’s the consumer’s choice to buy where, when and how they want.

Sony proclaims its protecting their customers due to ‘hardware’ related issues, it is NOT Sony’s RIGHT to tell customers where, when and how to buy their products. It’s a RIGHT to FREEDOM of CHOICE by the consumer. People choose to buy products from outside their regions most knowing their will be mainly ‘electrical power’ issues. Sony has no right to tell us we cannot buy their product from other regions or put down other businesses for supplying a service on a product they own and will get a return on. Because it’s our money and choice to do as we see fit and this goes for all billion dollar corporations.

The Sony Crush List
http://www.nuplayer.co.uk
http://www.lik-sang.com

Anyone want to add anymore?!!!:D

Damn right man. And thats the crux of the issue that many here don't seem to realize.

The closing of Lik-Sang sucks majorly but Sony's attempt and success of taking away our free rights as consumers is a far cry worse.

Sony has plans to take away our rights to buy preowned games, which will be in effect with the PS3. (Anyone not knowing what it is, its the system in place to control preowned games, in that, if you buy one from the store, you HAVE TO sign online on the PS3 and pay MORE money to Sony to unlock the disc for play on YOUR PS3- defeats the purpose of buying preowned now doesn't it?)

But thats ok Mudd and Synthesis, you both can enjoy your PS3s knowing that Sony has got you by the balls.

October 26th, 2006, 19:20
But thats ok Mudd and Synthesis, you both can enjoy your PS3s knowing that Sony has got you by the balls.

Sony has soft hands, so its ok :)

monaug5
October 28th, 2006, 12:48
so will we see any changes to the DCEmu Compo over the new day or so and if so when do you plan to announce these changes