PDA

View Full Version : How-To: Craft an analog control stick for your Sony PSP (part 2)

wraggster
October 25th, 2006, 06:38
Heres an excerpt:

A couple weeks ago we showed you, the teeming PSP loving masses, how to attach a standard analog stick to the embattled portable. Now join us for part 2 where we construct a case for the analog stick and create a convienent way to clip it onto a PSP. With a little luck you'll be able to look as cool as the loser shown above! So get your hot glue guns fired up and let's do this thing!

Intially I struggled to come up with an easy way of doing this project. You know, the typical tossing and turning at night, running up to the apex of hills and screaming "WHY?????" Standard stuff. Even wandering around Hobby Lobby for an hour didn't really spark any ideas. Eventually I did hit upon an ideal object to make an analog stick attachment case out of -- behold!

Parts List

A can of Jerky Stuff. This is a type of shredded beef jekry that's been around for a while. Any product with this sort of plastic container will work, but the health hazards may vary. Your call. Anyway, this plastic container is almost exactly the same height as a PSP and an analog stick fits inside perfectly. Plus it's round so it fits the style of the PSP.

Full Article (http://engadget.com/2006/10/24/how-to-craft-an-analog-control-stick-for-your-sony-psp-part-2)

GSA1508
October 25th, 2006, 07:59
I have to admit is a good MOD; and I could even accept the cutting of the PSP case (as long is not the original one and can be replaced easily for the original and the MOD one); but Messing with the PAD buttons soldering and rewiring the whole thing ..... mmm gives me the chills on my spine. I have a nice 1.5 original firmware PSP and have no intentions of messing with it so I can damaged it ....

Isn't any other solution ...like conecting the Joystick Via USB?; of course a software controller has to be used, but it should be 100 time safer rather to mess directly with the PSP motherborad .......

Then the unit could still be done a similar way without cutting anything and just screwing it in both rear holes the unit has in that side ......

Any programer that wished to do such USB controller?????:confused:

Shiesty
October 25th, 2006, 08:23
holy frick, i would never attempt that on my psp

kiore
October 25th, 2006, 09:46
I don't think I will be carving up my psp case just to attach something hidious , I wonder if McGyver here had bricked his psp and had nothing better to do for the afternoon :p

shrimpidy
October 25th, 2006, 10:15
Thats a big add on. I wouldn't spend so much time adding cheap plastic to my PSP. If it were smaller, I would like it.

GSA1508
October 25th, 2006, 10:38
Thats a big add on. I wouldn't spend so much time adding cheap plastic to my PSP. If it were smaller, I would like it.

Actually, THERE ARE some other smaller types of Joysticks available in the market (SONY used some quite small ones but reliable for some remote controllers some years ago); and If you cjheck in detail the article, the SIZE is mostly of the CAN, and not the joystick; at least 40% of the space inside the can is AIR (no electronic circuits or anything). He also mentions he choosed that can due matches the Thickness of the PSP ... but still I insit it can be done smaller and more reliable keeping intact the PAD buttons and controling via USB (is more complex but better).:cool:

mat_dizzy
October 25th, 2006, 10:59
WOAH, it looks ugly though :s

jinqui242
October 25th, 2006, 15:25
This mod might be problematic for games that require you to press the D-pad a lot in-game, such as Syphon Filter. You might accidently hit the analog stick while trying to press a D-pad button. Perhaps it if were a little higher or lower, it might work better.

mavsman4457
October 25th, 2006, 16:50
I would pay some money if someone were willing to do this to my PSP.

kcajblue
October 26th, 2006, 01:24
thats too huge and makes the psp look ugly.

Evader15
October 26th, 2006, 02:51
I first was going for joe's attempt at this on the psp (the small one).. while i could do that i am goign to go for this one.. i took the other joystick out of my xbox, and got it re wired with my new soldering iron tip!.. went SOOO much smoother... i have tryed this once and messed up the analog slider board.. i ordered a new one hope fo rit to be here friday so i can try it again ! lol.. i got hte controller done and it looks almost perfect and tomm im building hte can and mounting the stick but not hte pin connector bc i have to line it up with the psp plug i put in .. i tried the usb... hard... this IC socket is soo much easier its self explanatory on how to wire lol.. wish me luck! it might not be too actractive but i think i will like it much much better!
-Evader15

Gene
October 26th, 2006, 06:36
dont try this unless you know what you are doing. i screwed up my analog stick trying this today.

F9zDark
October 26th, 2006, 21:11
The look is... kinda funky (although I do like it). This is definately for the more hard core modder. Just too many variables to screw up on.

And personally, I'd rather see one on the other side (even though its probably impossible, with the battery there). Why? Because we have an analog stick on the side with the D-Pad. Imagine having one on the side with the square, x, ^ and o buttons. Would make FPS games actually useful on the PSP.

Just my two cents.

Evader15
October 26th, 2006, 23:57
dont try this unless you know what you are doing. i screwed up my analog stick trying this today.

ha, i did the same the first time i did this.. soldering problems with old tip and dull.. i got a new tip and soldered up my new controller as i stated above...

now im waiting for my new analog assembly to come in it best be here on friday( tomm. ) that would give me time in the morning to finish up hte jerky can.. and also mount the ic socket plug in the psp and then solder up the analog assembly and mount it. if it goes wrong again.. i would be suprised ol i learn my lesson quick but not how i should i guess as im goign fo rit again

TrowaX
November 7th, 2006, 05:44
I am also attempting this mod right now but i wonder the mod requires a UP Mod chip? . can anyone confirm this info thanks.

SnesR0X
November 7th, 2006, 06:17
I am also attempting this mod right now but i wonder the mod requires a UP Mod chip? . can anyone confirm this info thanks.

no mod chip is needed, but you should have some experience in taking apart your systems if you want to do this... I know I do:) (I've taken apart all of mine except ps2 and xbox)