PDA

View Full Version : PS3 ads still peddling potentials

wraggster
October 25th, 2006, 16:27
A pair of new PlayStation 3 ads are telling the same old story, and telling it well. The uninitiated might believe that Blu-ray's 50 GB capacity is necessary for next-gen gaming and that the Cell chip is "the future" of processing power, but are you buying it yet?

How about this: let's match the Cell up against a triple core 3+ Ghz PowerPC. Are we really looking at "the future" then?

But let's forget about PCs for the moment; just focus on console gaming. So the PS3's packing a lot of potential, right? But who's exploiting it? Are you willing to believe -- as the "Smarter" ad implies -- that Incognito has assigned programmers to render unique air currents into Warhawk? Are you willing to believe that it's just space, 50 GB to be exact, that's needed to bring virtual worlds to life? Sure, that's unrivaled capacity, but how many tens of millions of dollars will need to be spent on art assets to fill it? It's not just "time" that's holding back the PS3, it's money.

masterpaul
October 25th, 2006, 18:31
hmm.... about the PS3 Cells and why it is important...
is total bullshit.

1) My computer outpowers ps3 in every single way (e.g 8 GB ram, )

October 25th, 2006, 19:20
hmm.... about the PS3 Cells and why it is important...
is total bullshit.

1) My computer outpowers ps3 in every single way (e.g 8 GB ram, )

It is NOT streamlined for gaming and does not have eight different processors dedicated for gaming.

Its the same argument again and again.

jme
October 25th, 2006, 20:42
i am veru excited about the ps3, but with the graphics and power,no amount of pr bullshit will make me beleive them, the proof is in the pudding.

10shu
October 25th, 2006, 21:19
Cell processor is the same bullcrap than the emotion engine of the ps2.

The ps3 isn t a bad hardware. but get real a top pc is far more powerfull than the ps3.

actually if u port a pc game on the 360 and the ps3 there lot of chance your game look better on the 360...

masterpaul
October 25th, 2006, 21:31
"It is NOT streamlined for gaming and does not have eight different processors dedicated for gaming."

But then again, my PC was built from the ground for Gaming.

It has the newest graphics card, physics cards...etc...

-----------------------

To the people who think blue-ray will win.

They should think again... because microsoft will probably make all there pc's support HD DVD.

wowzors
October 25th, 2006, 21:52
"actually if u port a pc game on the 360 and the ps3 there lot of chance your game look better on the 360..."

I fail to

a) see how this is even possible to compare thus far.
b) see any proof backing this up what so ever (PS3 is not out)
c) see how the bolded part makes sense

October 25th, 2006, 23:01
"It is NOT streamlined for gaming and does not have eight different processors dedicated for gaming."

But then again, my PC was built from the ground for Gaming.

Oh shut-up, its been disproven again and again. It can't match up to the PS3 at all.

You're running critical Windows or other operating system processes in the background which are taking up processing power AND memory. As in, its not dedicated for gaming.

10shu
October 25th, 2006, 23:57
"actually if u port a pc game on the 360 and the ps3 there lot of chance your game look better on the 360..."

I fail to

a) see how this is even possible to compare thus far.
b) see any proof backing this up what so ever (PS3 is not out)
c) see how the bolded part makes sense

A and B : The ps3 is out for game develloper...(we have devkit anyway)

C : sorry if my english isn t perfect...

masterpaul
October 26th, 2006, 13:29
"You're running critical Windows or other operating system processes in the background which are taking up processing power AND memory. As in, its not dedicated for gaming."

Those processes don't take up so much. Lets say 128 mb of ram max. (my computer has 8GB) And it does not take so much processing power either.

The PS3 will always be weaker then PC.

But then again, there are no games for PC yet made, that require so much processing power.

BUT theres CRYSIS (for PC) which can not run on any console, if not downgrounded.

irongiant
October 26th, 2006, 13:56
Comparing consoles with PCs is pointless, the PC will always have the advantage as they're constantly being upgraded with the latest parts. A console is made as a set configuration, apart from hard drive, and meant to last 5 years or so.. well maybe 3 years in the case of Microsoft. How much would a PC cost that can run Crysis at high quality? Much more than a 360 that's for sure.

Darksaviour69
October 26th, 2006, 14:02
CRYSIS changed their minds and said that 360 and ps3 ports could be done

Sony have a history of... being optimistic about the hardware performance

PS1

Geometry transformation engine

This engine is inside the main CPU chip. It gives it additional (vector-)math instructions used for the 3D graphics.

Features:

* Operating Performance of 66 MIPS
* 360,000 Flat-Shaded Polygons per second
* 180,000 texture mapped and light-sourced polygons per second

Sony originally gave the polygon count as:

* 1.5 million flat-shaded polygons per second
* 500,000 texture mapped and light-sourced polygons per second

These figures were given as a ballpark figure for performance under optimal circumstances, and so are unrealistic under normal usage.

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation#Geometry_transformation_engine)

masterpaul
October 26th, 2006, 14:19
"CRYSIS changed their minds and said that 360 and ps3 ports could be done"

I didn't say that it can't be done. They even said that they could make a port for Wii.

But none of the consoles would run the game in full splendor. They would have to do some slight downgrading.

I'm not saying that the difference would be huge but if there are already games like crysis being made for PC, how long will it take for PC to have games that will own consoles graphicly (by a big margin)?

Darksaviour69
October 26th, 2006, 14:23
not long, having said that p.c. game sales have been generally been going down over the years as console software sales are going up. graphics aren't everything

masterpaul
October 26th, 2006, 14:46
"game sales have been generally been going down over the years as console software sales are going up. graphics aren't everything"

I know, and this is were the Wii comes in. (getting one)

A good example of "graphics aren't everything" is DS.

P.S... this is getting pointless.

kwok
October 26th, 2006, 16:18
:) the atari jaguar had 5 processors, in fact two were 64bit processors (well sorta give or take a bit or two!).

The Jaguar really had an effect on the gaming market right? The whole reason why it flopped so much was the complexity in producing games for this system. In total there are like 30 games for the Jaguar a bit more tham the Bandai Playdia, and wtf was that?!?!

I bet noone will ever use any of the extra's the PS3 has over the wii and 360, why because games developers like to make cross platform games which look very similar on different consoles. Alot more chance of high game sales, and devcosts are lowered. I guess one use for the 50gb Blu-ray disks are to fill it with loads of crap trailers and demos. Very revolutionary!

I think i see the fate of Sony in gaming like the fate of Sega and Atari, both leaders at some stage...

Darksaviour69
October 26th, 2006, 16:25
dev cost are very important, some argue that the saturn was more powerfull than the ps1 (quake? ), but its was too hard to program for (well it use its full power) so it cost more to dev with.

we will have to wait and see how things pan out

btw aliens vs predator was good for the jag

October 26th, 2006, 17:33
...I bet noone will ever use any of the extra's the PS3 has over the wii and 360, why because games developers like to make cross platform games which look very similar on different consoles...

And I suppose thats why Oblivion is getting a major graphics overhaul?

And I guess thats why Gran Turismo HD looks so good?

Come on, of COURSE game developers are going to use that potential, it just hasn't been shown so far because the PS3 is in it's earliest stages.

F9zDark
October 26th, 2006, 22:54
I love when people argue about the PC/Console war and know not a ****ing thing about it (@ Synthesis)

Look at Oblivion for Xbox360. It has horrible LOD textures for the distant mountains, which, are that way because of 'limitations' of the Xbox. Leave it to the Mod community to correct this and make DOUBLE resolution textures for Oblivion and its LOD landscape that would bring the Xbox to its knees.

PCs run them just fine, btw.

The PS3 port of Oblivion corrects the problems seen in the Xbox version by using a new SHADER. Hmmm... Shaders are cheap ways at improving visuals, while not improving much of anything. SO why not take the route of the PC modders who made much higher resolution textures?

Simply because the PS3 can't handle that either. But I digress, it may take longer to make a boat load of new textures than it would to write one shader. But then again, a FOR FREE modder made them in a week's time...

And if the PS3 is so much better than a PC, why does Sony aim at making the PS3 a PC? If it was so much better than the PC, why strive for something lesser? Thats like the manufacturer's over at Porshe making a car that would run like a Ford.

Added:

And I suppose thats why Oblivion is getting a major graphics overhaul?

WRONG, WRONG WRONG. Do some research you ****ing troll. PS3 is getting 1 new shader to handle LONG DISTANT TERRAIN (read: make it look nicer). Hardly a ****ing graphics overhaul...

Spend more time reading and less time trolling...