PDA

View Full Version : US Wii campaign kicks off with HUGE Times Square Ad

wraggster
October 25th, 2006, 20:59
Via SPONG (http://news.spong.com/article/11012)\

Check this out! Toys R Us and Nintendo of America have erected this immense three storey high Wii advert across the toy retailer’s flagship Times Square store this week.

Aside from questions of what this must have cost (and who picked up the tab) SPOnG was intrigued to know what regular New Yorkers thought of the ad. As gamers we are clearly all aware what Wii is and what the father and daughter are holding in their hands on the ad.

But what about the non-gaming/casual market that Nintendo is gunning for with Wii? The lapsed, the ladies and the elderly?

SPOnG asked our man in Manhattan to get out there on the street to poll a select band of passers-by.

Here’s what they had to say:

“What's a "why"?” (Meredith, 28)

“It should have a Nintendo logo on there, Nintendo is like Kleenex.” (Chris, 29)

“It just looks like they both have remotes.” (Derek, 24)

“It looks like the guy from land of the lost and his daughter... Is it something to do with wifi?” (John, 35)

“I dunno, is it a new TV or something?” (Chet, 34)

“Why do they have two remotes?" (Ali, 27)

So there we go. While our street-level straw poll is admittedly limited to a narrow demographic of twenty and thirty-somethings, it is still clear that the non-gaming public needs a little bit more educating on what a Wii actually IS.

What do YOU think of the ad? Do you think it does its job? Or is it, as the non-gaming public we polled above suggest, perhaps too clever for its own good?

Let us know in the forums.

Screen Via Comments

philr359
October 25th, 2006, 21:12
it should say Nintendo Wii so people atleast know what it is, and have some kind of slogan, like 'Redefining Gaming'. and a new picture.

masterpaul
October 25th, 2006, 21:40
Nintendo is using the "Mystery" type adverts. It gets people interested and make them want to research more or try it out.

Its a really effective type of advertising. More effective then Sony's 5 minute explanations (which are full of lies).

Demonhawk
October 25th, 2006, 21:40
haha, that amuses me greatly, it should definatly have "Nintendo" on it, or perhaps they are deliberatly not mentioning "Nintendo" so that people will look into what a "Wii" is, and not instantly be put off 'aah gaming, not interested..'

You know, little girl and father, enjoying themselves, bringing family together.. etc... hmm hmm hmm...

I heart Nintendo
October 25th, 2006, 22:53
It's a cool looking ad. Definetely different for Nintendo, but they should have put "Nintendo" somewhere on it. But as somebody already mentioned - not knowing what "Wii" is exactly adds to the intrigue.

I think Nintendo are further going into the apple style branding by trying to make the "Wii" font along with the remote as iconic as Apple's "i" and white headphones.

Still...it's publicity and it's good it's being done!

Is'lan
October 25th, 2006, 23:17
It's amazing how many people don't know what the Wii is--all advertisement has been online. For a console that's suppose to be marketed to casual gamers and people who aren't really even in to gaming, the Wii sure is unknown to these very people.

lexluthor
October 25th, 2006, 23:39
I think its fine.. then when people see the adverts on TV, they can go... "ohh so thats what Wii is". And there will be much rejoicing.

jstush04
October 26th, 2006, 02:10
they should definitely at least have the nintendo logo. however, nintendo knows that they cant tell a person on the street everything they should know about the wii. what this ad encourages is for questions to be asked and inquiries to be made. If I didn't know what a "why" was, I'd sure as hell go and find out after seeing an ad that massive.

Knux896
October 26th, 2006, 06:39
I can see where they might want to leave off the word "Nintendo" to cause curiosity, but they should at least have the "Wii.com" web address on it so people can research it. Unfortunately the vast majority of passer-by are too lazy to bother googling it.

V3N0M
October 26th, 2006, 06:51
Thats it. I'm getting a Wii. lol

spiralof5
October 26th, 2006, 07:57
It will be really difficult for Nintendo to make their point with almost any non-moving add. Two people sitting on a couch with white controllers could be so many things now adays (i.e. Ikea, Genital Herpes Medication, or a death care plan). They better start attacking head on with massive television commercials. That way, when the above model is talking to someone and he says "I modeled for Wii" the hot chick at the bar next to him won't go "Oh, yeah, that guy in times square..........you don't really have herpes do you?"

Terrible Ninty. Terrbile.

Cap'n 1time
October 26th, 2006, 09:51
i'm buying a "why". I hear nintendo makes good tissues.

I heart Nintendo
October 26th, 2006, 21:51
*lol*

Nintendo's definetely trying to re-brand themselves somewhat. I think they might be afraid that people will see Nintendo and disregard it - given that their last 2 consoles had not performed as brilliantly as some had hoped.

For a store like Toys 'R us - I think the ad works well. Because of the kind of store it is and the demographic that shop in places like that.

If it causes intrigue and makes people think "Huh!? What's that!?" Then I guess the ad is doing it's job somewhat.

I want a Wii NOW!!!!

You lucky sod's in the US'll have it in around 3 weeks or so.

GazeboflossUK
October 27th, 2006, 02:02
Yeah, looks cool though.....I just hope we get some damn cool ads here in the UK. We always have a lack of Nintendo advertisement but hopefully this year they are going to spend the cash.

I heart Nintendo
October 27th, 2006, 03:02
^^^ I feel ya. :(

We never get any Nintendo promo over here in the UK and when we do, it's rare and we also don't get the cool ad's they get in the US alot of the time. It really is annoying - because I can remember back when the GameBoy used to get advertised like crazy on TV - especially with games like Super Mario Land 2. But now, Nintendo TV spots are non-existant.