PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu?

Junixx
October 25th, 2006, 21:49
Hey, I'm thinking about switching over to Ubuntu and just using WINE to use windows apps, games, ect.

I was just wanting to know if Microsoft Money 2006 works with WINE? Also, I've found a site on how to get steam working with it (all I really play now is counter-strike) and i was wondering, is there a performance increase? I've heard there is but I still want to ask...

Oh and how hard is it to install WINE? I have little experience (installed it, used it for a while) with Linux so im not to sure on what I'm doing...

Cap'n 1time
October 26th, 2006, 09:45
i cannot confirm that microsoft money 2006 works with wine, but i know that photoshop elements does! For your games, youll want to consider cedega over wine, and while you can install it for free, its a pain in the ass, you may actually consider purchasing it.

zidanerick
October 26th, 2006, 19:07
I would be trying wine before purchasing cedega, since the new versions of wine support d3d and actually run some games better then cedega.

souLLy
October 26th, 2006, 19:16
why not dual boot your machine rather than using wine?

Cap'n 1time
October 27th, 2006, 00:13
I would be trying wine before purchasing cedega, since the new versions of wine support d3d and actually run some games better then cedega.

I wasnt aware of this, and as soully said, duel boot is a pretty good idea if you want the best performance.

Junixx
October 28th, 2006, 06:12
why not dual boot your machine rather than using wine?

Well....dual booting tends to annoy me, I've gotten wine installed and it actaully runs my games better than windows does, and im trying to get rid of win 2000 i have because it not quite...authentic, if you catch my drift (was a last resort)

Cap'n 1time
October 28th, 2006, 20:29
I am wondering, what games are you running? and your just using the plain ol' vanilla wine?

Junixx
October 28th, 2006, 22:13
Hm well mainly counter strike. I saw on another forum just regular wine would work better for steam games. I also saw an increase in Warsow, but this is probably because this game was release for windows and linux...I've tried it with StepMania and it seemed to work fine, one game I can't get to work though is WarRock

So yes, I am using just plain old Wine