PDA

View Full Version : 5 reasons why Sony won't lose the next-gen console war

wraggster
October 27th, 2006, 20:15
No home console maker (excluding handhelds) has ever dominated three generations of video games. None. Is there a 10-year or two-term incumbent cycle in the biz? Game Daily (http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14246)doesn't think so offering an opinion piece on why Sony won't lose the next-gen war in terms of market share. From the article: "Despite [recent] setbacks and all the negative press the company has garnered over the last six or so months, when it's all said and done the PlayStation 3 will be No.1 worldwide, although not as dominant as the PS2 has been."

How does Sony today compare to Nintendo of 1995 who were just about to lose an intended three-peat to the PlayStation? Throw in a third player with a solid second console offering and deep pockets, and it could be a whole new ball game.

Makaveli777
October 27th, 2006, 20:31
Like I always say. Whoever has the best and most variety of games will sell the most. Sony over the last generations has done that. Catering to every genre so theres something for everybody and the games they release are good. Also 3rd party support is big which sony has had the most of lately. If they keep it up then I wont be suprised if they're on top again.

psiko_scweek
October 27th, 2006, 20:38
I dont know, the price IS a setback ,really it is, I think nintendo is going to be the champion this time, as long as they can get the 3rd party support that they need and the online capabilities that Xbox live has.

ICE
October 27th, 2006, 20:44
there arent five

bugggeroff
October 27th, 2006, 22:08
Xbox360 is out of the picture, you can't win a console war if you don't manage to sell more than GBA SP in Japan, i think Wii and PS3 are two different things, you can't compare them, there isn't a "war" here IMO, the Wii will sell A LOT but 2~3 years from now it will be far to "old" (yeah.. yeah... game play over graphics, but this won't sell forever) and the PS3 will keep its sales stable, sure its expensive as hell now this is only because Sony is getting a huge loss with the launch of it, they need to cover at least part of this and they know there will be a lot of people who will pay those $600 bucks for it, the price should drop a lot in 2007.
Anyway, i'm buying a Wii by the end of this year and a PS3 by next year so i don't really care =)

(sorry for the crappy english ;P)

F9zDark
October 28th, 2006, 00:20
Check the site, they have the 5 reasons, all of them seem accurate enough to me.

Free online sounds really promising though. My brother despised paying money for Xbox Live just to update his old Xbox game library to play on Xbox360. He was so pissed about that, that he is planning on trading in his 360 for PS3.

Hell knowing that I don't need to pay to play online is certainly worth it in my book. And it will propel the PS3 far ahead of the Xbox360.

Adrenalin
October 28th, 2006, 02:26
I just don't believe graphics will equal winning in this gen. HiDef graphics have been forced on consumers and thus i think the time isn't right. i can forsee nintendo releasing a high def version of wii in a few years utilising the HD-DVD and/or Bluray formats if they succeed.